Hacking Question Would a portable mode overclock be possible?

bananapi761

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe with a custom .kip, could we have the switch in portable mode run at the docked mode's GPU clock and have games think they are running in docked mode, at the loss of battery life?

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know next to nothing on how it would be done on CFW, but Lakka supports OC-ing the CPU and GPU to the Tegra defaults as well as the docked GPU clock. The CPU OC really helps with N64, PSX, GameCube, and DreamCast emulation but I haven't played a lot like that for fear of overheating.

But if it works there I figure it's possible in CFW. I would think you'd still want the game to render at 720p max to get the best performance out of it though.

Last edited by specht,
Reactions: Assasin1990

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I know next to nothing on how it would be done on CFW, but Lakka supports OC-ing the CPU and GPU to the Tegra defaults as well as the docked GPU clock. The CPU OC really helps with N64, PSX, GameCube, and DreamCast emulation but I haven't played a lot like that for fear of overheating.

But if it works there I figure it's possible in CFW. I would think you'd still want the game to render at 720p max to get the best performance out of it though.
Lakka have Dolphin support?

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah and you can see on Lakka that OC in portable mode brings unstability and crashes Switch. It's not about battery life, but how is built and how much power It can give.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is everyone saying this would fry the switch? While docked the fan is barely even used despite the higher clock speeds and charging the battery at the same time.

well battery draw is a huge factor. Since we know the switch can support higher resolutions when docked, we have to assume one reason is that it consumes alot of power. So if you attempted to try to force the console into overclocked mode, the internal battery could be damaged, or short at the very least.

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well battery draw is a huge factor. Since we know the switch can support higher resolutions when docked, we have to assume one reason is that it consumes alot of power. So if you attempted to try to force the console into overclocked mode, the internal battery could be damaged, or short at the very least.

Short doesn't mean what you think it does.

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I'm on the side that the switch might fry when OC'ed on portable mode.

AFAIK when docked and fully charged, the switch will not draw energy from the battery but from the charger. When on portable mode, the switch will have no other choice but to draw from the battery. And an OC'ed switch will need more, hence the battery will also heat up more which will add to the overall temperature of all components.

But I'm just a random guy on the forum. Don't believe what I'm saying as if I know everything. I know nothing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...