Gaming worth upgrading to windows 7?

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've been running Windows 7 RTM for a couple months on my main PC, and Windows 7 RC on my Tablet PC for longer. It's definitely worth upgrading to, I especially like the new taskbar, and whenever I use Linux or XP/Vista I miss having the "Show Desktop" button in the lower right.

porchemasi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
high compatibility
high performance
super fast
uses less memory
looks amazing
more customizable
wireless network smart
ability to share files in your home with all PCs using Win7

bach3609

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
playallday said:
If you have to pay for it, don't get it. If you "somehow" get it for free, then go for it.

You means pirate windows 7?
smileipb2.png

Anyways Im sticking with windows XP. XP FTW!

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i might give it a try my XP drive has always given me problems as it did when i tried vista the main reason i use Linux so much(i like playing with terminal and compiling things!
happy.gif
) .
it couldn't hurt to try seeing as my xp partition is starting to show signs of failing again(BSOD anyone?) just hope i don't run into any M$ fail like i usually do.
is it safe to upgrade directly from XP to 7, or should i start with a fresh formatted drive?
i'll also be upgrading Ubuntu in a few days so this should be a fun experience all around.

XWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
3ghz Acer laptop - single core I think.
1280mb RAM
64mb (dedicated on board RAM not shared) ATI 9700 GFX card

Currently on XP with custome Omega drivers for the ATI - runs really nice on a lot of heavy graphics games - example; Eve Online with the settings way up (since last update, that's pretty good gfx!).

Will this old beastie run Windows 7 do we think?

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:
bach3609 said:
playallday said:
If you have to pay for it, don't get it. If you "somehow" get it for free, then go for it.

smileipb2.png

I means find it somewheres!
smileipb2.png

I've been using Windows 7 RC for a while and I'm not going back.
biggrin.gif

Until the mandatory shutdowns and then the invalidation of your RC key.

I pirated Windows 7 and loving it. Problem is though that I'm stuck with shitty integrated graphics from 4-5 years ago and thus I can't:
-run Aero
-play the games correctly
-use the screensavers

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
wchill said:
playallday said:
bach3609 said:
playallday said:

smileipb2.png

I means find it somewheres!
smileipb2.png

I've been using Windows 7 RC for a while and I'm not going back.
biggrin.gif
Until the mandatory shutdowns and then the invalidation of your RC key.
Meh, I have until March 2010 to do the hacked RC to RTM update. That way I don't have to reinstall much.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wish I had Windows 7... Microsoft must feel like they finally made the right move after all of Vista problems. I never experienced them problems because im on XP.
happy.gif

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
deanxxczx said:
Would Windows 7 run smoothly on 512MB of RAM, i know the Specs are 512MB but i don't know if it will be okay.

I want to install it now :3

Lets put it this way, it works good enough on 512ram, but it can be sluggish.

QUOTE(wolffangalchemist @ Oct 30 2009, 07:30 AM) well i got 7 installed over my xp drive, seems a bit faster(actually surprisingly not slow like vista was on my 638mb of ram) just need to hunt down drivers now.

Same i cant seem to get my microphone and audio jack to work. Windows recognizes it, but gives me an unknown device.
unsure.gif
and windows update didn't find anything, and i sort of need for skype. :l But other than that everything works.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maz7006 said:
Same i cant seem to get my microphone and audio jack to work. Windows recognizes it, but gives me an unknown device.
unsure.gif
and windows update didn't find anything, and i sort of need for skype. :l But other than that everything works.
I was able to find my proper drivers for my chipstes graphics and audio.
Boot up screen glitches but eh it boots fast(even my linux os boot up screen glitches so meh.)
Everything boots and runs better than i expected so far no complaints but we will see over time.
win7score.png

I get a 2.0 for Aero but runs better than what i think a 2.0 rating would imply, don't really have any graphically heavy pc games or apps anyway since i use Windows not so often as i compile code a lot(i use my computer almost strictly for compiling stuff, lol.)
This will be nice when i have friends over and they want to use my computer so i don't have to bother explaining how to use Linux and where everthing is at(it gets frustrating trying to explain things that should be simple to nitwits.)
Once had a "friend" fuck up my compiling environment on Linux once by screwing with my terminal and would rather that not happen again.

mayhem366

Trophies
XP
Country
I would say it is most definitely worth upgrading, upgraded the day after it came out, was looking to buy it for £50 (by splitting a family pack between 3 of us) but then turns out that I could get professional for free just because the uni automatically signs all it's computer science students up to the MSDN e-academy. Huzah! Huzzah!

I now have 64 bit Win 7 pro compared to 32 Vista Basic and it so much quicker.
smile.gif

gbadl

Trophies
XP
Country
I had no problems with running Vista for about a year because my computer is top of the line, on the other hand I have had more problems with 7 crashing this past week then Vista running it dual boot, also ram usage and startup speeds are less in vista then 7. I think the people that are seeing improvements from vista to 7 are people that have an old computer, otherwise vista on a top of the line machine is a lot better for me.

Plus the new taskbar is a piece of crap in 7 and I can't customize my start button viewing options, I want customization options and not having to be stuck to how m$ wants me to do things, if windows 8 doesn't have more customization options in 3 years, I may switch to linux but for now Vista is perfectly fine for me and I have never experienced any crashes using it, I never understood the vista hate.

Gobnoblin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
hmmm sounds like its a mixed bag of nutz..... i've got the upgrade coming and it was totally free..... now should i still install it lol.... running intel core 2 quad cpu Q8200 @2.33 2.34 with 8 gigs ram on vista homepremium 64 and ati radeon hd4600 1gig.... don't know if that makes a difference or not... keep up the input got a little while before the disc arrives... thanks all

shadowkillerdrag

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me it seems much better, runs smoothing than vista.
And it solved that retard web browser crashing on the 64 bit vista for me =.= hated it so much.

love my q9400 at 3.1 ghz, 8 gigs of ram, and a 9800 gtx + hoping to upgrade my graphics soon xD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and normal grapes