Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Uh... no?
You cannot relicense any works since that would defeat the purpose of the license they were released under because you could then "relicense" it as whatever you want, including a closed source license.

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php

My mistake... I was thinking of the BSD license, not the MIT license. BSD is not copyleft. Feel free to carry on useless whining.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
Could this be what has to be done to make Wood releases legit on this site again? (if they weren't legit in the first place)

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

ywg.JPG

It's funny to think about, but could it work?
I think it'd be hypocritical to say otherwise because we handle other CR'ed code that way.
That's the sort of thing I was talking about earlier, where we discuss it but can't host it.
http://gbatemp.net/t280593-battle-kid-fortress-of-peril

Obviously that's not much fun for people involved, which is why I started off by trying to get YWG to give source so we could avoid this crap.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
qwertymodo said:
twiztidsinz said:
Uh... no?
You cannot relicense any works since that would defeat the purpose of the license they were released under because you could then "relicense" it as whatever you want, including a closed source license.

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php

My mistake... I was thinking of the BSD license, not the MIT license. BSD is not copyleft. Feel free to carry on useless whining.

Still wrong.

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.phpQUOTE
Copyright  ,
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
Neither the name of the nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
No license will EVER give another person the power to change the license type.

I do believe that certain GPL versions allows you to change to other GPL versions, but that's hardly the same thing.

mrp73

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Remember way back when Wood 1.29 came out and a bunch of people stirred the pot to the point that YWG decided it wasn't worth his time and stopped taking the time from his personal life to benefit everyone so he stopped updating it. Damn that was a great ride up till that day.

In a COMPLETELY UNRELATED story : I remember this vending machine in the mall when I was a kid that kept spitting out candy because the 25 cent slot was broken and it just kept turning. I loved that. Then some kids started fighting about it and causing a stir. The mall security dude heard it and figured out what was going on and took the vending machine away. That sucked. :-)

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mrp73 said:
Remember way back when Wood 1.29 came out and a bunch of people stirred the pot to the point that YWG decided it wasn't worth his time and stopped taking the time from his personal life to benefit everyone so he stopped updating it. Damn that was a great ride up till that day.

In a COMPLETELY UNRELATED story : I remember this vending machine in the mall when I was a kid that kept spitting out candy because the 25 cent slot was broken and it just kept turning. I loved that. Then some kids started fighting about it and causing a stir. The mall security dude heard it and figured out what was going on and took the vending machine away. That sucked. :-)
Remember that time when some schmuck came along with a stupid, unrelated story just to stir the shit pot?

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
mrp73 said:

Yeah, the more I think about it, the real important issue created here isn't that the GPL license may have been violated or not, it's that the ywg has become angry. That's a very concerning scene development.

Maybe we should redirect our focus on making sure the ywg has our appreciation and that most of us want him to continue Wood, GPL or not. I've been thinking about creating a ywg appreciation thread but I'm not sure how to go about it. Maybe tomorrow I'll do it if somebody doesn't ninja me.
smile.gif
(I hope someone does, because I'm lazy
tongue.gif
)

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Rydian said:
Ya'll are just gonna' have to forgive me for having some fucking morals and attempting to follow the law as far as the site is concerned.
I'm not mad at you Rydian -- there's nothing wrong about dissenting from majority opinion. I just don't want the ywg to mistakenly think that the community has turned on him. Nothing against you or anyone else.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
Rydian said:
Ya'll are just gonna' have to forgive me for having some fucking morals and attempting to follow the law as far as the site is concerned.
I'm not mad at you Rydian -- there's nothing wrong about dissenting from majority opinion. I just don't want the ywg to mistakenly think that the community has turned on him. Nothing against you or anyone else.
I know, this was aimed at that other poster, who seemed to be mad at me for doing my damned job as Mag staff, making sure that posted news and files are okay.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Dr.Aqua said:
Still haven't seen much comment from YWG himself.
He has given no indication of license change (in fact his responses indicate it's still GPL'd as he refers to the terms more than once), and he refuses to give the source.

If he's authorized to change the license (I'm not sure on this part as it seems to go against the GPL's original intentions) he could just label the next version as closed-source, but that wouldn't cover the previous versions (including this one) which appear to be GPL'd and have no source available.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Thread re-opened.

Costello is satisfied that we are fine, and is in contact with ywg about the issues raised.

No more discussions about the GPL issues are welcome here, or anywhere else. And if I see any posts on that subject I will personally trash them, regardless of who made them.

kineticUk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Kiekoes said:
For some reason Wood 1.29 freezes after a couple of seconds... Any help is appreciated.
ywg knows as the issues reported in the bug thread but its limited to the version for r4igold released by said team not wood.
Its related to the r4ids.cn version so if you can, it would be best to contact their team directly.
I have exactly the same issue since 1.29 and have gone back to 1.28 for the time being until I can email the team.
Its nothing to do with mSD card i don't think, too many ppl reporting it since 1.29. r4ids.cn team can be contacted through their site.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4