Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stevetry said:
Wired's are 100% on the spot sony need vision

I agree.

NGP, Xperia Play and PS: Suite will all compete for the same market.

People say 3DS will compete with smart phones. That is true. The same is true here. Sony is competing with themselves and in the end it will cost them and the products will suffer as a result.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the majority of your threads are anti-sony
so I assume your just some fanboy or trolling and laying down flame bait

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sully99 said:
Stevetry said:

I agree.

People say 3DS will compete with smart phones. That is true. The same is true here. Sony is competing with themselves and in the end it will cost them and the products will suffer as a result.
lol
I'll not buy a Xperia Play neither the Tablet, I'll just buy the NGP.

Because of games.

If I wanted a tablet, I would be the damn tablet. If I wanted a Xperia Play, I would buy it.

The only aspect that make these three similar are that they can run content PS Certified (not the NGP, it can run it and EVEN MORE). Besides that, they are still a tablet and a cellphone running Android.

Sully99

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maedhros said:
Sully99 said:
Stevetry said:

I agree.

lol

Because of games.

If I wanted a tablet, I would be the damn tablet. If I wanted a Xperia Play, I would buy it.

The only aspect that make these three similar are that they can run content PS Certified (not the NGP, it can run it and EVEN MORE). Besides that, they are still a tablet and a cellphone running Android.

I respectfully disagree.

Smart phones are the biggest threat to the portable market. Everyone knows this. NGP will compete directly with PS: Suite enabled phones and Xperia Play. PS: Suite and Xperia are both products released by the same company. All competing for the same market.

People in denial about this subject are mostly fanboys covering their ears because they're afraid of the truth. Sure, they're the first to say that smart phones will hurt Nintendo, which they will, but when you say the same about Sony, who is even more threatened by the smart phone market, out comes the SDF with their torches and pitch forks.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sully99 said:
Maedhros said:
Sully99 said:
Stevetry said:

I agree.

lol

Because of games.

I respectfully disagree.

Smart phones are the biggest threat to the portable market. Everyone knows this. NGP will compete directly with PS: Suite enabled phones and Xperia Play. PS: Suite and Xperia are both products released by the same company. All competing for the same market.

People in denial about this subject are mostly fanboys covering their ears because they're afraid of the truth. Sure, they're the first to say that smart phones will hurt Nintendo, which they will, but when you say the same about Sony, who is even more threatened by the smart phone market, out comes the SDF with their torches and pitch forks.
I don't.
I don't see why someone who wanted to play games would buy a Xperia Play instead of a NGP. NGP have different titles, it's not for playing Playstation and PSP games only, but NGP games as well. Can a Xperia Play run Uncharted? NO, it can't. So they'll not compete.

Xperia Play will compete against other Android/iOS/W7 Mobile devices. It's another market (that I agree, are getting part of the market that was only interested in games).

NGP will compete dedicated games portables (aka 3DS).

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Sully99 said:
So, in your opinion, which of their lines of products should Sony drop in order to show "vision;" smartphones or game consoles?

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sully99 said:
No they won't.

NGP is a dedicated handheld games console.
Xperia Play is a gaming-capable smartphone.
PlayStation Suite isn't even a device.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have say that I agree with the article. It does seem like Sony is just tossing stuff out there to see what will happen. I do worry that there's no vision. Now on another note, I find it funny how most of you are like "ZOMG! there's no market for the Xperia Play!" I'm sure there is a market. I cant stand Sony (a self proclaimed Nintendo fanboy here) and I (badly) want this phone purely to have dedicated gaming buttons to play Android emulators with. What most of you seem to forget is, if it's marketed well, there's a market for almost anything. I really do hope this phone does well and hopefully, if Sony does make a tablet, it will be a 7 inch tablet with gaming buttons on each side. Anything bigger than that might feel awkward for game playing.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
are u saying tht the ipod 4g and iphone 4g and all the other idevices have something new and spectacular everytime they release it? apple devices are dependent on the ppl's ideas to bring apps to the device

now if developers make better and more fun games for the NGP, i cant say sony's vision is problematic

maybe he doesnt like the fact tht ps3 games are being ported to the ngp hence bringing nothing new to the ngp

i can say for sure tht the vision of sony is not as good as tht of nintendo but not tht they dont or lack vision in tht sense

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly think that these NGP OR 3DS, WHICH IS BETTER HURR DURR threads need to stop. We need time to see them develop first.

I do have to agree though; I'm not sure what Sony is aiming for here.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sony needs to get rid of this myriad of other shit and get back to basics. The NGP is going to lack appeal for battery life, and if the announced price is insanely high, no one is going to buy it, so much as look at it and we will wind up with a new N-Gage or Sega Game Gear, insanely expensive with too many useless features and not focusing on the games or insanely short battery life and a giant casing for a unit (you needed a backpack to carry the Game Gear around in). If they want to sell a new portable device it needs to be affordable first and foremost, and have a strong battery life to play games on as well as have strong game support from launch. Anything over 300 dollars and people will walk away from Sony so fast, and the games have to be there that people want to play and even with the PSP right now having a ton of high rated games, no one wants to buy them because they are generally just time consuming RPG's which are harder to appeal to on portables because you have to delve a lot of time into them in order to enjoy them, meanwhile the DS has always had that pick up and play for 15 minutes and enjoy the game sort of appeal.

I really think Sony needs to take some marketing and development lessons from Nintendo, who continue to do it right in terms of selling hardware and making appealing games for a wide variety of players.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
DSGamer64 said:
Sony needs to get rid of this myriad of other shit and get back to basics. The NGP is going to lack appeal for battery life, and if the announced price is insanely high, no one is going to buy it, so much as look at it and we will wind up with a new N-Gage or Sega Game Gear, insanely expensive with too many useless features and not focusing on the games or insanely short battery life and a giant casing for a unit (you needed a backpack to carry the Game Gear around in). If they want to sell a new portable device it needs to be affordable first and foremost, and have a strong battery life to play games on as well as have strong game support from launch. Anything over 300 dollars and people will walk away from Sony so fast, and the games have to be there that people want to play and even with the PSP right now having a ton of high rated games, no one wants to buy them because they are generally just time consuming RPG's which are harder to appeal to on portables because you have to delve a lot of time into them in order to enjoy them, meanwhile the DS has always had that pick up and play for 15 minutes and enjoy the game sort of appeal.

I really think Sony needs to take some marketing and development lessons from Nintendo, who continue to do it right in terms of selling hardware and making appealing games for a wide variety of players.
Battery life is about the same as 3DS.
There are a lot of people who wants one even before the price gets announced (me included).
Developers saying that Sony made the device thinking on their necessities, making it easier and acessible to code. That was one of the biggest problems with the PSP on the past.

I can agree with this being more than $300 and people avoiding it.

The PSP is still strong on sales even now, but of course, has a different vision from DS, with more casual games. But, don't think everyone only play those type of games, some people like to play games with more depth on portables too. Even the DS has a bunch of them.

Sony don't need market from no one, with their strategy they conquered almost 40% of the market where Nintendo reigned absolute. They only need to expand their market and make it more acceptable to casuals (which is an aspect I see on the NGP, with all it's social aspects).

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem? let me divide it up for you

Gaming consoles:
PS3 with multimedia and social aspects (PSN) and ps1 emulation
portablegaming console with multimedia and social aspects and ps1 emulation

Smartphones:
high end android phone with casual gaming and ps1 emulation, aimed at people like me who want some decent games to play while they are bored with good controls
3 other android phones (one slim high end, one low end, another low end w/ a slide out keyboard)

Tablet:
rumored gaming tablet that will be playstation certified, will be a good tablet with some games on it

All of these can coexist, and btw, there is no official announcement of psp games on the xperia play, there's a reason they named it that instead of the playstation phone

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
In the same respect...you COULD say

Apple is it's own competitor. iPod, iPhone, iPad, and the fact that the latter 2 cost nearly as much as in iBook.

Nintendo is it's own competitor. DSi, DS Lite, DSiXL and soon 3DS. Which one will people choose? The one they find more suitable.

The one they find more suitable

The trouble with Sony's PSP was that it eventually began to cater to a VERY small market in the West. They're expanding their portable range, whilst linking it all with the PSN and PSuite. With the PS3 being their main console and that's that.

To me it seems like for once they actually HAVE an idea of what they're doing.

If you look at past times, the PS3 and PSP aren't leading the market because they were just far too overpriced, and came a bit later than they should have. Whereas before in PS2 times, they were just doing it well (the PS2) and then leaving it's competitors behind thanks to well timed releases, price and catalogue.

It genuinly seems like there's some tactics going on within SCE.

On a side note, this post should, in theory, be news because it's almost the same as the source. A thought out opinion.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So much idiocy. Please allow me to end this confusion.

iPhone vs Android vs Nintendo 3DS vs NGP vs Xperia Play

That's the new market. Deal with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Traps