ROM Hack [WIP] The Fourth Dimension: A Super Mario 3D land level editor

mustafag32g

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Yeaa @exelix11 I am working, but university, work and life generally also are in the scene :P

So I can't get it out too fast. However 7 levels are completely done. It is going to be a 2 world hack.

Starlight is helping me, but he has also got school...

But it will be finished eventually though :D

Last edited by mustafag32g,

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeaa @exelix11 I am working, but school, work and life generally also are in the scene :P

So I can't get it out too fast. However 7 levels are completely done. It is going to be a 2 world hack.

Starlight is helping me, but he has also got school...

But it will be finished eventually though :D
uh, i understood that it was almost completed, i don't know how to make 3d models, or else i would have helped you.
Also, how do you repack the romfs to play in citra ? I wanted to add this feature to the editor for a while but i can't make it work.

mustafag32g

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Well I use a program called "3dstocia converter". It has many useful options including the repack you are talking about.

Yoou caan find it on youtube and google :-)

Yeaa btw we decided we wanted to make a 2 world instead a one world :P

Reactions: exelix11

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well I use a program called "3dstocia converter". It has many useful options including the repack you are talking about.

Yoou caan find it on youtube and google :-)

Yeaa btw we decided we wanted to make a 2 world instead a one world :P
Ok, got it working, I was using makerom to build a cci but citra won't boot it

StarLight42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Louiskovskie

DO NOT DO THIS. I tried making the walls bigger and my whole level glitched out. Seriously, Mario would fall to his death as soon as the level started. When I rescaled the walls back to their original size everything worked correctly again. It seems these walls were not meant to be scaled.

@exelix, definining the number of walls to be placed horizontally and vertically would be great! This is exactly what i'm looking for! 2D Areas would be a breeze to make if these feature was implemented! Just make sure we can define the x coordinate of all of them.

Also, it could ask to add two sets with different x coordinates among both of them, to make a 2D area instantely. This could be a seperate function in the editor... a "2D Area Maker" or something, idk :P

Thank you for considering my suggestion.

Last edited by StarLight42,

Louis Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Exelix11, is it possible, to split the database into two different databases? The one stores all the information and the friendly names, like normal, and the other only stores information, which model of objects will be displayed in the editor. And maybe it could be definied, that, when an object has a specific ARG, that the model will be changed. I mean, if for example the kuribotower get an ARG of 5, that it will display another modell with 5 goombas.

DO NOT DO THIS. I tried making the walls bigger and my whole level glitched out. Seriously, Mario would fall to his death as soon as the level started. When I rescaled the walls back to their original size everything worked correctly again. It seems these walls were not meant to be scaled.
Hmm. In my level i used a scale of 3 and works fine. Maybe bigger scales are not supported.

StarLight42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I scaled mine much bigger. Like 25 or something. I still would rather prefer a feature that adds multiple of them rather than adding fewer of them that are scaled to 3 as it's more stable.

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Exelix11, is it possible, to split the database into two different databases? The one stores all the information and the friendly names, like normal, and the other only stores information, which model of objects will be displayed in the editor. And maybe it could be definied, that, when an object has a specific ARG, that the model will be changed. I mean, if for example the kuribotower get an ARG of 5, that it will display another modell with 5 goombas.

Hmm. In my level i used a scale of 3 and works fine. Maybe bigger scales are not supported.
I would rather keep the database like it's now, having a different way to show model based on args would be pretty complex since for every object that has this would require an extra check, and the code is already pretty messy.

Anyway i just added loading models from objects from another folder called CustomModels, this will allow using your object pack without having to edit the database, since the changes would be overwritten every startup when the latest database is downloaded.
Models are loaded by name if they exists, so just make sure the model has the same name of the object in the game + .obj

Yeah I scaled mine much bigger. Like 25 or something. I still would rather prefer a feature that adds multiple of them rather than adding fewer of them that are scaled to 3 as it's more stable.
Done ;)
Just one thing i noticed, those walls are squares, maybe it glitched because you didn't scale uniformly

Louis Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Anyway i just added loading models from objects from another folder called CustomModels, this will allow using your object pack without having to edit the database, since the changes would be overwritten every startup when the latest database is downloaded.
That's really cool :)

Just one thing i noticed, those walls are squares, maybe it glitched because you didn't scale uniformly
That could be the problem. I noticed, that some airshiplevels has transparent walls with incredible big scales.

StarLight42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. The feature I requested will definitely be necessary. I tried using uniform scaling and the walls were still all glitched up when scaled at 10x10x10

SunakazeKun

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
aurumsmods.com
XP
Country
Germany
I think I should post this here as well. First of all, this isn't a custom level at all. In fact, this is a port of the original World 2-1 from the E3 2011 demo version. Nothing interesting, actually. I had to make some changes to the stage files and the models, because the E3 demo uses an earlier ActorInfo format.
You can download it from here.

E3FieldWalkStage-02.png
E3FieldWalkStage-05.png

Reactions: Louis Miles

SunakazeKun

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
aurumsmods.com
XP
Country
Germany
The most interesting things from the E3 demo include the two unused and unfinished levels TestIwasaSpBalanceTrack02Stage and SpTestLava03Stage. Here is a short video on the first unused level:

You can find more information about these two unused levels here.

StarLight42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure you have rotated the walls right?

If they somehow have been turned opposite way they glitch. I tried that before.

Only one side is solid...

You are so totally right. Wow, I am a frickin moron. The 2D Area works fine now with two transparent walls scaled at 11x11x11

@exelix11 Sorry I requested a useless feature. :(

On the bright side, this means I will be able to get a level done for 3DL1.5 very soon!

Louis Miles

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does someone know, how the boss Bunbun works?
I'm trying, to make a boss battle with him. But whenever Mario enters the SwitchOnArea, which should activate him, the game crashes. Is there something needed, to get him working. I already looked at 2-5: Bumbum will be activated by an Area (SwitchAppear) and when the battle begins, bunbun kills the PlayerControllOff Area (SwitchA). And when he is defeated, he activates a pipe (SwitchDeadOn). I already made it the same way, but it still crashes..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/_NsOxG2zwWA?si=oK21qVNxgd98AyJT