Hacking [WIP] Smea's coldboothax, redNAND, homebrew Proof-of-Concept

Damon_girl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I guess so, that's the main idea.
I hope so. I'd love it if my Wii U games would run off of the SD card instead of the console. I have a 64gb card that I'm currently using for my 3DS and would like to store my Wii U games on it as well.

BothyBhoy

Trophies
XP
Country
I hope so. I'd love it if my Wii U games would run off of the SD card instead of the console. I have a 64gb card that I'm currently using for my 3DS and would like to store my Wii U games on it as well.
unfortunately wiiu games are quite big file sizes so not get many on a 64 gb.....maybe 3 or 4 but hey that might be enough...

Chuardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
unfortunately wiiu games are quite big file sizes so not get many on a 64 gb.....maybe 3 or 4 but hey that might be enough...
I guess that the SD will have the IOSU and the TitleID of the game and that's it, if you can even install games on the redNand, the games should be able to be on a HDD or any USB Drive that you plug on the console or also on the SD like they are on the Internal Stroage of the Console, but the Internal Storage emulated on you SD should be 8GB/32GB, or maybe you can change it like on the Xbox 360, who knows?

Let's just wait some time, right know is way too early to answer any questions, probably Smea also don't knows the answer to questions like this yet.

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
The funny thing is, people are bashing on smea just because he did share in his twitter a little photo of a barebones Wii U security breaking with his friends without any meaning when he said that he was just doing it for fun since he wasn't that interested in the Wii U, damn, people even go as far as telling that he "dindu nuffin!" for the 3ds scene when Is thanks to him that we have a "scene".

At least in the 3DS zone people tend to shit on the trolls/retarded people while here is the opposite.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here we go again... A piracy discussion... SO FREAKING WHAT????!!! Who cares if it can enable it or not?

Just be happy we have homebrew. Otherwise we can better have nothing and just go on with our lives...
I'm against online cheating though.

Think about it, don't you want:
- Emulators.
- 3DS Controller for Wii U.
- Make the Wii U Pro controller act like a Classic Controller in vWii so that it actually can be used.
- NAND backup the same way as it did on the Wii (No hardmod stuff).
- Stream 3DS screens to Wii U TV if possible. Also good for capturing 3DS footage without a 3DS capture card.
- PAL/PAL60/NTSC video mode switching. That will work incase your Wii U doesn't work well on your TV, and it has more capture card support.
- Regionfree.
- FTP server for Wii U so you can place files from your PC to SD/USB. Very useful if you don't have a card reader.
- VC injects.
- More maybe?

So yeah...

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Here we go again... A piracy discussion... SO FREAKING WHAT????!!! Who cares if it can enable it or not?

Just be happy we have homebrew. Otherwise we can better have nothing and just go on with our lives...
I'm against online cheating though.

Think about it, don't you want:
- Emulators.
- 3DS Controller for Wii U.
- Make the Wii U Pro controller act like a Classic Controller in vWii so that it actually can be used.
- NAND backup the same way as it did on the Wii (No hardmod stuff).
- Stream 3DS screens to Wii U TV if possible. Also good for capturing 3DS footage without a 3DS capture card.
- PAL/PAL60/NTSC video mode switching. That will work incase your Wii U doesn't work well on your TV, and it has more capture card support.
- Regionfree.
- FTP server for Wii U so you can place files from your PC to SD/USB. Very useful if you don't have a card reader.
- VC injects.
- More maybe?

So yeah...
Most of the stuff on this list either has nothing to do with wiiu side or even needs iosu to be acoomplished...
-Emulators could be writen as off now with kernel but no one bothered, the only thing they would benefict from iosu would be usb acess, on everything else you gain nothing on emulators in iosu vs kernel people just dont have much interest.

-3ds controller has nothing to do with iosu at all, iosu wouldnt mean anything to this feature, all you have to do is hack the game controller code same way FIX94 made gc to vpad using kernel but no one bothered making this for 3ds yet becuase well 3ds is by far the worst controller for the wiiu available lol.

-wiiupro as a classic controller on vwii has nothing to do with wiiu mode, let alone iosu, you could make this happen day 1 the vwii had homebrew same way wiiu pro works on nintendont on both wii and vwii, but people never made any hack for them to work on regular wii games same for hid controllers like the wiiu gc adapter, all they work on nintendont they can work on wii games but people would need to actualy hack that.

-nand backup does need iosu

-Stream 3ds is not possible 3ds is not powerful enough to even stream video, if people cant even steam it to the pc hell no they would for the wiiu, thats why there is capture cards becuase 3ds cant stream its video.

-video modes if your tv cant do the hdmi connection well why to even bother having a wiiu? lol next thing your gonna tell me people play wiiu games in crt tv and need a pal50 hack...

-regionfreee does need iosu.

-wiiu server does not need iosu yet again, this is already possible, even loadiine and cafiine had a way acess isos from a server but the thing is wiiu internet is crap so unless you want huge waiting times your better off with sd/usb, nintendo consoles internet speeds always sucked.

-vc injects we have been doing them since 5.3.2 kernel acess iosu wouldnt help this at all. since we can already do it...

So basicaly of everything you said only 2 things benefict from iosu, region free and nand backup everything else either has nothing to do with wiiu itself or even beneficts from iosu acess.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YES (shouting out loud).

Great news for me. Waiting all this time to hear news about Wii U EMUNAND. This is great news EMUNAND development actually making progress.

:grog::bow: to Smealum and other developers working on Wii U EMUNAND and other work that enables EMUNAND!!!

Last edited by tivu100,

andriy921

Trophies
XP
Country
Honestly, I don't get all this hype. They say that they have no plans to release this. I do understand that releasing such stuff is a really hard work. But, honestly, they could just provide description of used exploits.

lefthandsword

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Nintendo probably wanted to hunt down smea for months, but can't find a reasonable excuse to do it without hurting their PR. if he released his exploit it would give them a perfect reason to send a C&D or sue him outright as the exploit directly allows piracy to take place. However if smea really don't care about piracy he wouldn't reveal the details of memchunkhax2 in the first place

Reactions: Shadowfied

verifyvenuz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.venuspatrol.com
XP
Country
Poland
Nintendo probably wanted to hunt down smea for months, but can't find a reasonable excuse to do it without hurting their PR. if he released his exploit it would give them a perfect reason to send a C&D or sue him outright as the exploit directly allows piracy to take place. However if smea really don't care about piracy he wouldn't reveal the details of memchunkhax2 in the first place
He's the one who pushed the 3DS scene with ninjhax and the like (including releasing new versions, of course), he has a website dedicated to the homebrew launcher and he was part of a hacking conference.
Why would Nintendo stop things only after he released a Wii U exploit? They had (and still have, in fact) plenty opportunities to do so.

lefthandsword

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
He's the one who pushed the 3DS scene with ninjhax and the like (including releasing new versions, of course), he has a website dedicated to the homebrew launcher and he was part of a hacking conference.
Why would Nintendo stop things only after he released a Wii U exploit? They had (and still have, in fact) plenty opportunities to do so.
I was just making assumptions, don't take it too seriously

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Looks like a brown recluse