Not open for further replies.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
shinyquagsire23, I keep seeing this "warez" thing in several places, not just this forum.
What exactly is a warez loader?

Are you guys referring to the possibility of creating a ROM/Backup loader of some sort, so that is why you are keeping the FIRM code closed-source?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
shinyquagsire23, I keep seeing this "warez" thing in several places, not just this forum.
What exactly is a warez loader?

Are you guys referring to the possibility of creating a ROM/Backup loader of some sort, so that is why you are keeping the FIRM code closed-source?

"Warez" stands for piracy.

zaj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Just a short question. Will you keep it closed sourced forever or will you release the source code some time after the end of the 3DS lifespan?

after a few months/weeks/ maybe even days all their effort to keep it closed source will be wasted anyway. someone will have reverse engineered their code anyway to allow rom loading. with the end result being that their work is going to be used for piracy. the casual devs that want to do homebrew wont bother with reverse engineering. in the meantime a gateway update will appear that steals their work.

look at the ps3. there was an exploit for 3.55 that allowed homebrew and cfw but the ISO loading was disabled by the devs. took 3 days to release a new cfw that could load iso's.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
after a few months/weeks/ maybe even days all their effort to keep it closed source will be wasted anyway. someone will have reverse engineered their code anyway to allow rom loading. with the end result being that their work is going to be used for piracy. the casual devs that want to do homebrew wont bother with reverse engineering. in the meantime a gateway update will appear that steals their work.
I have my doubts personally, but I will say that we are aware of this fact. Although if you look at Gateway's code, very few have gotten very far in reversing it, mostly because it's simply not worth it. Heck, the current CFW leak would probably be easier to reverse.

MeisterFenster

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think we dont have to discuss this again, they decided to take the anti-piracy way and that is their right. Sorry if you have to pay to pirate games.

Anyway, great work so far! I am still hoping for region-free retail game cartridge loading :)

zaj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have my doubts personally, but I will say that we are aware of this fact. Although if you look at Gateway's code, very few have gotten very far in reversing it, mostly because it's simply not worth it. Heck, the current CFW leak would probably be easier to reverse.

well i do hope that your work allows enough freedom to use the 3DS hardware for 100% so we can finally have a decent mobile emulation device. the new 3DS is a really powerful console and there is so much more potential than being able to run the 7000th homebrew version of pacman or crappy browser quality homebrew games.a mobile port of showtime mediaplayer etc would be amazing.

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

look at the ps3. there was an exploit for 3.55 that allowed homebrew and cfw but the ISO loading was disabled by the devs. took 3 days to release a new cfw that could load iso's.

why the hell are you coming back here? you'Re not even enthousiasme of the work and progress that's going on here and you still come back to cry because you dont have money to buy your freaking games! if you'Re not happy because some devs dont want piracy, why the hell dont buy your games or a sky3ds?..no place for you here, no place for demotivation!.. People are more then happy about the progress, you're just pissed because they dont want to allow piracy...the same as a crack junkie who cant afford crack so he prefer to steal it..

i'm not trying to be mean with you but honestly, if you're not okay with their work, why do you even come back to talk about piracy and trying to convince them that they should? people like you demotivates devs.. you most be the kind of guy that goes to uninvited parties just to crash their fun, because you warent invited.. i'm not saying you are..just saying thats how you look right now..

..cant play pirated games? why dont you cry to gateway for an update? or even better, why dont you learn coding for yerself?? instead of crying opened-mouth like a baby..:cry::cry::cry: ..its all we hear from you in your last posts..
..anyway..this thread is about KARL3DS...it was never meant for pirating so there's no reason why even bother insisting..

EDIT: atleast your last comment was decent :P

Reactions: SLiV3R and VinsCool

zaj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
why the hell are you coming back here? you'Re not even enthousiasme of the work and progress that's going on here and you still come back to cry because you dont have money to buy your freaking games! if you'Re not happy because some devs dont want piracy, why the hell dont buy your games or a sky3ds?..no place for you here, no place for demotivation!.. People are more then happy about the progress, you're just pissed because they dont want to allow piracy...the same as a crack junkie who cant afford crack so he prefer to steal it..

i'm not trying to be mean with you but honestly, if you're not okay with their work, why do you even come back to talk about piracy and trying to convince them that they should? people like you demotivates devs.. you most be the kind of guy that goes to uninvited parties just to crash their fun, because you warent invited.. i'm not saying you are..just saying thats how you look right now..

..cant play pirated games? why dont you cry to gateway for an update? or even better, why dont you learn coding for yerself?? instead of crying opened-mouth like a baby..:cry::cry::cry: ..its all we hear from you in your last posts..
..anyway..this thread is about KARL3DS...it was never meant for pirating so there's no reason why even bother insisting..

EDIT: atleast your last comment was decent :P

1. i have almost every nintendo first/Second party nintendo classic. for example i own 3 version of majoras mask and OTT now . including the 3ds collectors editions that i bought ;)
2. i have a gatewait for emulation and to play japanese games like jump superstars that never get released here and cost 30$ to ship on top off the 50$ to buy em in japan.

3. i have over 500 books of manga shelved in my room wich i could also just read online if i wanted to pirate.
4. i'm a networking engineer so i can code, but that doesn't mean i like it. it's just something i don't really like doing and reverse engineering the 3DS requires a fuckload of commitment and learning of programming/ machine language i have 0 interest in . i also doubt i have the capabilities to do it.
5. don't judge people for pointing out facts ;) the devs even said they were aware.
6. not every pirate is a freeloader that refuses to pay for stuff. just as research has proved that piracy actually helps in the music industry for example. especially for me its more of a free ticket of "try before you buy" or giving shovel-ware a chance.

either way do your research on stuff like this. look at what a trainwreck project 64 has become because it was closed source and we still have crappy n64 emulation to this day.
compare that to the open source dolphin that is 2 generations ahead and is 100X better. i just don't want this to be closed source , open source means allowing everything and full control. and that includes piracy yes. because if you block piracy, you block other things too. i would still cry if it was closed source and allowed piracy.

anyway i support the devs in whatever they choose to do. closed source is better than nothing.

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
shit guys can we NOT make this into a discussion about piracy? IT happens, some people like it some people dont, get over yourselves.

In this case the developers don't like it, and choose not to develop features for it. If someone decides to reverse engineer the exploit and add the ability to play backups then that's their prerogative.

All this being said the reason this thread is PUBLIC is to discuss the exploit itself and to help people interested in learning how the exploit works. I don't know about anyone else but I might start reporting people if they bring up the whole backup loader argument again

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
All this being said the reason this thread is PUBLIC is to discuss the exploit itself and to help people interested in learning how the exploit works. I don't know about anyone else but I might start reporting people if they bring up the whole backup loader argument again
I support this.
I am getting tired of that kind of crap being brought up often.
I will back you up on the reports.

Reactions: puss2puss

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Zaj: fine enough!, but atleast stop complaining and talking about backup loaders or piracy etc.. it polluates the thread, making unnecessary ''bullshit talk''..espacially when its stuff they already know..
And btw, i dont care about all you bought..even if you bought your games you're still complaining about how they dont want piracy,..anyway,..dont wanna make it longer, lets repect the OP's thread, thats it for me ;)
(anything else to say? pm me! repect this thread!)
-Peace :moogle:

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
This topic has gone far off topic. Please stay on topic. Hope this is the last time we have to say this. To all whiners: it's not even certain this project will succeed. So if you are not intrestead in the KARL development process, please nag somewhere else. OK? Deal?

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This topic has gone far off topic. Please stay on topic. Hope this is the last time we have to say this. To all whiners: it's not even certain this project will succeed. So if you are not intrestead in the KARL development process, please nag somewhere else. OK? Deal?

I've request to have it cleaned up, apparently they think its relevant. Oh well.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

tbh if you wanna go make a warez loader, go reverse gateway 1.0 and yellows8's launcher and you'll have far more than you need to accomplish that. That being said, KARL3DS isn't and never was a piracy-based project. It's a powerful developer tool with new 3ds support. End of story, end of conversation.

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
Trophies
XP
Country

Except if you're trying to make money with it, or have a lot of time and want to test your RE skills. There are a lot of reasons why it may be worth it.

I'm very excited for this project anyway. This will open a great amount of opportunities.

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
"muh warez" again

Anyway, how about running translations? I really, really want to play the Re: Digitize Decode translation that Romsstar and his pals are cooking up and I'd hate having to pay $60 for a flashcart for it, at that point I might as well just pirate the ROM. But if I only need to buy the game and there's some on-the-fly patching app or something like that it'd be golden.

Reactions: marksteele

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"muh warez" again

Anyway, how about running translations? I really, really want to play the Re: Digitize Decode translation that Romsstar and his pals are cooking up and I'd hate having to pay $60 for a flashcart for it, at that point I might as well just pirate the ROM. But if I only need to buy the game and there's some on-the-fly patching app or something like that it'd be golden.

If they ran translations odds are they would have to make it so they could run any cart. I do know your pain though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not sure if that or RC Pro AM was my favorite NES racing game... hmmmm
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I loved the rc pro am games
    @SylverReZ, RC Pro AM was made by Rare, and that explains why I liked it. Just learned the other day about a game I loved that was made by Rare and I was surprised lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was playing need for speed remastered and said to myself this is a nice Forza remaster
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_developed_by_Rare Not all of them are awesome but man the hits on that list.
    Oh snap Super Offroad was by them too? lol damn
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Today I learned that the creators of the Donkey Kong games also made Sea of Thieves
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why do i feel the sudden urge to start singing pirate's scorn from the donkey kong country cartoon?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you being for real, cause that's hard to believe, DK is Nintendo and made in japan, Sea of thieves was from Microsoft, in America. I'm not calling you a liar, just didn't know.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok yes they were both made by Rare, but DK was from Rare back then, Rare now is owned by MS. So makes since.
    +1
    They even developed a LJN game.... lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was pretty rare
    I wonder what deal with Satan LJN worked to get Rare to make that one...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember couple years ago, they announced they were working on a Perfect Dark remake, wonder what ever happen with that?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It went into the darkness
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and buddies used to play the hell out of Perfect Dark on N64, that and Goldeneye, was the first real PvP shooter games I remember
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    4-way split screen on a tiny 19" TV, lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you share joysticks also
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh we had the 4 controller add on thingy for n64. Duh I just got your joke, lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So you touched ends
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, but being in the boy scouts, they forced us to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chopped down some wood for the scout master
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Big Gay Al was our Scout leader.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Big Gay Al was our Scout leader.