ROM Hack [WIP] Dragon Quest VIII (8) "Restoration" Project

LoneFlo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Good, some proof the 3DS version is based on android port. That was kinda what i expected to be honest. Perhaps the Android needs investigation and comparison? I mean it can maybe help with progress.:unsure:
This is absolutely not a proof. There is no transformation in the original (JPN) PS2 version.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If I give you the original model and the edited obj, think you could reimport it for me please?
Sure. DM me, I turn Windows on. ^^

Canzah

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Good, some proof the 3DS version is based on android port. That was kinda what i expected to be honest. Perhaps the Android needs investigation and comparison? I mean it can maybe help with progress.:unsure:

You do know that the 3DS is no where near as good as the ps2? Stuff like this was bound to happen from day one the game would be on 3DS, having a 640X480P resolution on PS2 while 3DS has pathetic 400X240P Resolution, not to mention the PS2 DVD disc size data holds lot more than 3DS. Those two systems, of course i suspected the mobile android port being the reason why 3DS is the way it is, I think maybe is worth investigating the data in the adroid at least to know if there is anything useable. :ninja:

3DS can't handle polygons like sweet PS2. Game maybe would have been better of as HD remaster, probably wouldn't have suffered like this on ps3/ps4 port. :creep:

Me and DarkSynposis already confirmed that it's based on the PS2 version, models in fact have the exact same UV maps which means they're also probably identical polygon-wise.
With that said, the different high tension model IS the original Japanese model, as created by Akira Toriyama.
The Super Saiyan thing was only made for the European and American PS2 release for marketing purposes, it was never the original never. Just something created for western audience. The High Tension variant you see in Android and 3DS is based on the original Japanese PS2 one.

Also I'm aware 3DS is weaker than PS2, but size wise the 3DS version is actually bigger than the PS2 one (~3.6GB for 3DS, ~2.9GB for PS2) due to having more voice acting on 3DS than the PS2 version did, so space wasn't an issue.
It was just 3DS' pathetic hardware that warranted such massive downgrade, but I genuinely didn't think the downgrade was THIS severe.

Are there any specific settings I need to export the OBJ into from 3DS Max? Or are default ones fine?
ghhbcv.png

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was just 3DS' pathetic hardware that warranted such massive downgrade, but I genuinely didn't think the downgrade was THIS severe
Yup, that is pathetic alright, all that focus into 3D and not making the quality better, shame on that nintendo. :P

But i see now, i honestly didn't know about that localization thing so i apologize. So the truth comes out and is a bad one, i thought the marketing tactic was making a final fantasy XII demo as part of the purchase, not the hair thing which is very much underwhelming compared to a game demo :wtf:

Canzah

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yup, that is pathetic alright, all that focus into 3D and not making the quality better, shame on that nintendo. :P

But i see now, i honestly didn't know about that localization thing so i apologize. So the truth comes out and is a bad one, i thought the marketing tactic was making a final fantasy XII demo as part of the purchase, not the hair thing which is very much underwhelming compared to a game demo :wtf:

Dragon Ball is very popular in the west, so they thought that since characters have this kind-of transformations they might as well give MC a Super Saiyan haircut in High Tension transform, besides it's only one of many marketing tricks they used to make the game sell better in the west. FF12 Demo was another, and then there's also the voice acting, completely streamlined menus and orchestral music which were also new additions in the western version to make it sell better.

Also I can't send you a PM, getting a "This member limits who may view their full profile." error.

LoneFlo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Me and DarkSynposis already confirmed that it's based on the PS2 version, models in fact have the exact same UV maps which means they're also probably identical polygon-wise.
With that said, the different high tension model IS the original Japanese model, as created by Akira Toriyama.
The Super Saiyan thing was only made for the European and American PS2 release for marketing purposes, it was never the original never. Just something created for western audience. The High Tension variant you see in Android and 3DS is based on the original Japanese PS2 one.

Also I'm aware 3DS is weaker than PS2, but size wise the 3DS version is actually bigger than the PS2 one (~3.6GB for 3DS, ~2.9GB for PS2) due to having more voice acting on 3DS than the PS2 version did, so space wasn't an issue.
It was just 3DS' pathetic hardware that warranted such massive downgrade, but I genuinely didn't think the downgrade was THIS severe.

Are there any specific settings I need to export the OBJ into from 3DS Max? Or are default ones fine?
ghhbcv.png
No, you just have to keep vertex order, but 3DS Max does it by default (not totally sure, I don't use this software).
I changed my profile privacy, sorry ^^'

Last edited by LoneFlo,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dragon Ball is very popular in the west, so they thought that since characters have this kind-of transformations they might as well give MC a Super Saiyan haircut in High Tension transform, besides it's only one of many marketing tricks they used to make the game sell better in the west. FF12 Demo was another, and then there's also the voice acting, completely streamlined menus and orchestral music which were also new additions in the western version to make it sell better.
Yeah i was aware of the dragon ball being popular thing, but i figured the demo was the reason why the game sales was good. Besides i thought the game sells was already good with the other games in the series, the fact this happen is just weird. Game demos bundles was the key selling point in marketing, the fact they actually tried to associate dragon quest with dragon ball was another unheard of story, besides the fact that the character designer has been responsible for the art work for many years. Now i wonder if the same excuse was for chrono tigger. :P

Anyway, so if there is a attempt to port ps2 files to 3DS, does that mean the file size of the rom/cia will increase as well? Cause i may have to consider if is worth it when getting this game, unless there is a way to patch game while playing with the cart. :unsure:

DarkSynopsis

OP
Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Those two systems, of course i suspected the mobile android port being the reason why 3DS is the way it is, I think maybe is worth investigating the data in the adroid at least to know if there is anything useable. :ninja:

Don't think there is much more we can grab from the mobile versions, mobile uses Unity for the engine no idea what 3DS is using, mobile was handy for some textured.

At this point I think we just need the saiyan hair from PS2, which doesn't bother me if we get across or not since it was a US thing?

Last edited by DarkSynopsis,

Canzah

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyway, so if there is a attempt to port ps2 files to 3DS, does that mean the file size of the rom/cia will increase as well? Cause i may have to consider if is worth it when getting this game, unless there is a way to patch game while playing with the cart. :unsure:
We're not porting PS2 models since it's more or less impossible and even if it was possible it would affect performance very negatively.
I'm just editing textures of the 3DS models to uncensor them, and in the case of the Dancer outfit also editing the model.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't think there is much more we can grab from the mobile versions, mobile uses Unity for the engine no idea what 3DS is using, mobile was handy for some textured.

At this point I think we just need the sayin hair from PS2.
At this point, can we still call it a restoration? I mean usually that means using original intention design (Usually the japanese region version) if trying to get other localization conversion maybe is more of a bonus perk. :P

Canzah

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Super Saiyan hair would be a restoration in terms of trying to restore the western PS2 experience, but definitely not in terms of original Japanese experience.

Just changed my profile. Should works now.
I sent you the PM, have you seen it?

TheGuyMadeOfTofu

Trophies
XP
Country
I noticed a strange bug on the Orchestra build (EUR, my own build).

When you are in Trode's king castle (I don't know his english name), when Dhoulmagus (I don't know his english name too xD) is laughing loudly/hard, the game crash and kick me to the home menu.
170122054741424501.jpg
1701220547433649.jpg

It crash exactly here:
170122054742499925.jpg

So I tried with the clean sound folder with a quick layeredfs patch, and it work, no crash.
So the Orchestra mod is causing the crash, and idk why.
I didn't delete any files/folders, I just pasted the japanese sound files in the eur sound folder (and not the folder itself).

Do anyone noticed the crash too, at this point of the game?
The game is trying to load the bgm at the moment, and the bgm crash the game.
If I can identify which bgm is loading, I can remove it while copying the japanese sound files and keep the clean one.
This is just an issue for Japanese voices on the English game?

Last edited by TheGuyMadeOfTofu,

Canzah

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, but for 1 voice only, and its fixed, so nothing to be worried about
Out of curiosity, how did you end up fixing it in the end? By leaving the English voice in for that laugh line or have you managed to find a workaround to make it Japanese?

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Out of curiosity, how did you end up fixing it in the end? By leaving the English voice in for that laugh line or have you managed to find a workaround to make it Japanese?
Yeah, leaving the english voice.
Idk why but using the japanese laugh make it crash.

Can anyone make an ips patch to use with Luma like SciresM and no-outlines ips patchs for Sun/Moon?
Man, are you serious?

Canzah

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, leaving the english voice.
Idk why but using the japanese laugh make it crash.
Have you tried using Dhoulmagus laugh from a different scene perhaps? As in his Japanese laugh, just from a different file, to see if that would work?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm so pumped, NCAA football video game is back after a 10 year hiatus, coming to SeriesS/X, PS5 in July.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love and own on disc still, that is not back compatible, bs.
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @BigOnYa My dad recently bought a spare Series X off of me, got game pass, and saw Madden '24 on Game Pass, decided to try it out.

...He was a bit taken aback by the 60GB download size. Poor guy's still living in the 90s!
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AdenTheThird, Bro's still in the PS2 age.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol charging your dad's classic unless he's the type that doesn't like taking things like that
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @K3Nv2 He was looking into consoles for his house anyway (for my younger siblings and himself) and I had a spare XSX and Switch I ended up selling him at pretty steep cuts. I would just give them to him, but I did buy them with the intent to sell them... and college is super expensive.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A little yeah...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, [insert wut here]
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm a little hi, but bout to fix that.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now I'm low, i was upstairs in my wifeys kitchen, now I'm downstairs in my dungeon.(My basement)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    do you mind? i snuck in with amiibo and jars, and am trying to do my thing brony style
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    have you ever regretted saying something immediately after saying it?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah what i was doing was trying to cure my ever-so-apparent crabs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    my younger brother is forcing me to play with him and my cousins are here *sigh*
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ that Hack a hacked 360 vid was neat, never knew it existed.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I thought it was interesting.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm this video is clickbait
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a dazzel capture card some place in storage
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I got a dazzel capture card some place in storage