Gaming [WIP/Concept] Ocarina of Time Remastered OST (soon to be mod?)

templeofhylia

homo supreme
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some background first, but if you're not interested in about who I am as a person, just skip to the bold:
Ever since I started music production outside of Mario Paint and Finale, I REALLY found a passion in remastering video game music by recreating it from scratch with my own library, and sampling "iconic" video game sounds if necessary (like Spyro Reignited). Last month I decided to recreate some songs from Majora's Mask (please forgive the inconsistent and wacky mastering, not only am I an amateur, these songs just haven't received my full attention lately because of what's below), when I had the epiphany that I could replace the music files within the 3D version with my own versions, which I admit probably isn't too original an idea, but my versions are my own and no one has ever done the music like I will, and the opposite applies in terms of how others remaster the music too (I personally think it'd be cool to have a selection of remasters available from different producers at your disposal). I've already tested this successfully...it is easy after all, just make the music, render it, convert it, replace it. Yay! I'd like to present a fully remastered soundtrack for Majora's Mask 3D one day, and when I wake up tomorrow, I'll spice up the songs I DO have a bit and post those files.

With that in mind, I decided to shift gears and start focusing on Ocarina of Time, which I personally appreciate the soundtrack of more. Too bad I dumped the romFS of Ocarina of Time and found out....it's not as easy as Majora's Mask, and my forte (haha) isn't with modding games, it's with music. I have not the slightest clue how to reprogram each area of the game to play a .BCSTM file instead of the sequence, but I imagine it's possible. I hope to figure it out eventually once I actually start research, but any input from knowledgeable people is so so welcome.

I'm making this post because I'd like to present my work thus far as a hopeful concept/WIP for an Ocarina of Time 3D Remastered 3DS mod, while also getting feedback on the music and my predicament too. Here's where you can listen and download:
SoundCloud (You can download the lossless .WAV files if the song isn't in beta, or the HQ .M4A/.MP3 file if it is, but you need a SoundCloud account or at least Facebook/Google, and the music streamed sounds like **** if you don't have SoundCloud Go+ or what the [redacted] ever it's called.)
DropBox

Cheers, and thank you! Please scream at me if this is the totally wrong thread or totally unwanted content.

Last edited by templeofhylia,
Reactions: DSoryu

richardZeldaModder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I can tell you that it's possible to change nearly all of the music for Majora's Mask 3D. I've done a complete mod myself, using orchestrations and remixes found online. There are bcstm files that can be replaced easily.

Ocarina of Time 3D is different. All the bcstm files aren't there. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to hex edit the "dummy" file to make it possible to change all the music.

Want to help???

I posted an explanation before, you can find it here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/change-music-request-oot3d-ocarina-of-time-3d-seriously-trying-to-change-the-music.517740/#post-8315838

templeofhylia

homo supreme
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, I can tell you that it's possible to change nearly all of the music for Majora's Mask 3D. I've done a complete mod myself, using orchestrations and remixes found online. There are bcstm files that can be replaced easily.

Ocarina of Time 3D is different. All the bcstm files aren't there. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to hex edit the "dummy" file to make it possible to change all the music.

Want to help???

I posted an explanation before, you can find it here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/change-music-request-oot3d-ocarina-of-time-3d-seriously-trying-to-change-the-music.517740/#post-8315838

I'd LOVE to help!!!!!!!! I was so crushed when I looked at Ocarina of Time's romFS and there weren't any BCSTM files at all except for the new credit roll addition.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sorry for the necrobump, but this is a great start!! I'm starting to dive into the 3DS moding scene and among some projects I will publish soon, this is something I also wanted to make, so this is great!!

I listened to your music and is amazing!! I loved each one of the tracks, and I say this as a Music producer haha, so keep it up! You're doing great for a beginner.

I'm currently researching how the sound engines from various 3DS games work, and all of them are nearly identical, and not only that, I managed to find that OoT3D already has that engine built-in!! Its actually used for the post-credits sequence.

Once I figure out how to force BTCSM files into any part of the game I'll return to this thread in order to post my current progress.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro