Homebrew [WIP] BrewMan - homebrew installer and manager

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
He would still have to approve of it though :/
Or did he, pirating is WIERD in that way. If you devolved a site that supported and gave an option to "pirate" you wouldn't get in trouble. It would be the "users" who submitted there CIAS. I mean the endless fun and entertaining ways we could kill Nintendo is quite hilarious cause the U.S. Doesn't have that much power over the Internet.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Or did he, pirating is WIERD in that way. If you devolved a site that supported and gave an option to "pirate" you wouldn't get in trouble. It would be the "users" who submitted there CIAS. I mean the endless fun and entertaining ways we could kill Nintendo is quite hilarious cause the U.S. Doesn't have that much power over the Internet.
Well scratch that, I mean over the things we can post. Take that one ISO site for instance. The owner doesn't get one crap of the U.S. Cause he isn't posting those CIAS. Or that one paradise of emulators, the mods don't get in trouble cause mode7 and many more rom makers posted there Roms on the interwebs.

I don't know what would be required to do local communication.

Next update (in a couple days) will have some speed increases. I got the git fetching working quicker and I'm messing with download stuff to hopefully get it a bit quicker. I enabled n3ds speedup, so extraction should be much faster. I don't have a n3ds to test this, however. Also will add sound effects, but not sure what bg music loop to have.

Also, if you have a sexy game with source code, I can port it. But I won't bother recreating one, at that point I'd rather just make my own original game with assets from elsewhere.
Also TheCruel if you decide to make any user submitting function I think we can all agree that you can place Ad's on the site for revanue. I mean can't keep a site up without revanue.

Reactions: BurningDesire

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What would be the point of virtual currency when BrewMan and most of it's homebrew is open-source (presumably)? It would literally be worthless and have no point.

On the point of non-legit cias and whatnot, you can easily fork it to point to your own repo instead that serves custom CIA's.
But I like the "user friendly' function.

TheCruel

Developer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, you need to make a PR to submit new stuff or update the old. I'll have to make a guide soon on how to format everything properly.

There seems to be confusion lol: https://github.com/Repo3DS/BrewRepo/pull/1

Also, I don't care about piracy, but unless I can get the download speeds up, it would be too slow to be worth it. Also, it will require constant upkeep to reupload pirated content when it's removed. I can't be bothered with that. Would have to implement some p2p system which wouldn't be very reliable anyways. Though it would be interesting to see how the 3ds handles torrent protocol, pushing sockets to the limits. But I'm not confident in that working well enough to put time into it.

And the CIA installer isn't really going to be done soon. There really isn't that many good 3dsx homebrew, let alone CIA. Once the 3dsx library is mostly complete and all features I'm working on now are done, I'll work on CIA.

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is a really cool app! Also very nice to see one of my oldest homebrews on there (2048-3D)!

What is not 100% clear to me though is how I would go about adding my other homebrew as this is never explained. Or are you managing what homebrew are added by yourself? Most likely would be that I would have to fork the BrewRepo repository and make changes and then make a pull request (which I will be trying shortly XD). But as I do not have any rights to add the .7z file of any of my homebrew to the release should I simply use my own repo and add a a .zip version (with correct /3ds/AppName/AppName.3dsx contents etc.) to the release?

Also say I made an update to 2048 for instance, how would I push this to the release of BrewRepo, and could I opt-out and choose to host it on my own release? (I would understand you not wanting this to avoid broken downloads but a easy way for devs to add updates would require the download location to be moved elsewhere for easy access, for instance the folder in the repo itself rather than the release.)

One feature I would like to also see in the main app is the change repo's, this could be useful if people want to test their own forks.

Ps. Sorry if some of the GitHub related stuff is silly, I am comfortable with using it for my own and shared projects. But it could very well be that I'm missing something very obvious here!

Edit: Good to see you are planning on making a "tutorial" on how to submit stuff :)

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah, you need to make a PR to submit new stuff or update the old. I'll have to make a guide soon on how to format everything properly.

There seems to be confusion lol: https://github.com/Repo3DS/BrewRepo/pull/1

Also, I don't care about piracy, but unless I can get the download speeds up, it would be too slow to be worth it. Also, it will require constant upkeep to reupload pirated content when it's removed. I can't be bothered with that. Would have to implement some p2p system which wouldn't be very reliable anyways. Though it would be interesting to see how the 3ds handles torrent protocol, pushing sockets to the limits. But I'm not confident in that working well enough to put time into it.

And the CIA installer isn't really going to be done soon. There really isn't that many good 3dsx homebrew, let alone CIA. Once the 3dsx library is mostly complete and all features I'm working on now are done, I'll work on CIA.
Ok I did a bit of math and I get around 122kbs a second on 2 bars of Internet. Which I did some math.
122 x 8 = 976.
So we can conclude that if we were to download a 500mb CIA
it would be 4,000 Seconds or 66 minutes... Yah pretty slow
But if you are working on faster internet say 500kbs It would be 2 seconds a megabyte so...
500 x 2 = 1mb so it would be 1000 seconds. BIG Difference. That's 16 minutes! So yah, it's kinda hard to do that. If we could get a megabyte a sec it would be 500 seconds. Which is drum roll please... 8 minutes!

EDIT: Also if p2p was involved we would make it MUCH faster! And I can tell that some people will wait 16-66 minutes for a game.

Last edited by Luglige,

Deleted member 373223

Pink = Best colour
Trophies
XP
Ok I did a bit of math and I get around 122kbs a second on 2 bars of Internet. Which I did some math.
122 x 8 = 976.
So we can conclude that if we were to download a 500mb CIA
it would be 4,000 Seconds or 66 minutes... Yah pretty slow
But if you are working on faster internet say 500kbs It would be 2 seconds a megabyte so...
500 x 2 = 1mb so it would be 1000 seconds. BIG Difference. That's 16 minutes! So yah, it's kinda hard to do that. If we could get a megabyte a sec it would be 500 seconds. Which is drum roll please... 8 minutes!
my 3ds internet max is 2/mb/s but brewman max i reached was 122 kb/S

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
my 3ds internet max is 2/mb/s but brewman max i reached was 122 kb/S
He's working on faster internet. And if it is 500kbs it will still be MUCH MUCH faster. But if he did 2mbs, I can conclude it would be 4 minutes + CIA installation which would be 6-12 minutes

He's working on faster internet. And if it is 500kbs it will still be MUCH MUCH faster. But if he did 2mbs, I can conclude it would be 4 minutes + CIA installation which would be 6-12 minutes
But Ofcourse we could say that file lag and we can't have a constant 1-2 mbs so it would take an hour at most to download a CIA and if it's p2p, well even shorter of there's a lot if piers.

Last edited by Luglige,

TheCruel

Developer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is not 100% clear to me though is how I would go about adding my other homebrew as this is never explained. Or are you managing what homebrew are added by yourself? Most likely would be that I would have to fork the BrewRepo repository and make changes and then make a pull request (which I will be trying shortly XD). But as I do not have any rights to add the .7z file of any of my homebrew to the release should I simply use my own repo and add a a .zip version (with correct /3ds/AppName/AppName.3dsx contents etc.) to the release?

Also say I made an update to 2048 for instance, how would I push this to the release of BrewRepo, and could I opt-out and choose to host it on my own release? (I would understand you not wanting this to avoid broken downloads but a easy way for devs to add updates would require the download location to be moved elsewhere for easy access, for instance the folder in the repo itself rather than the release.)
Yeah, the idea is for devs to host their own releases ultimately, so that's not a problem.

So if you wanted to update 2048, you would simply need to change the file URL (and filesize + md5) and change the version number and make a PR. Since you're whitelisted for that project too, the PR bot will auto-merge it. Though currently I don't have the bot running 24/7, I will soon.

It currently doesn't have the functionality to inform users of new stuff added or updates available to installed games. I'm working on a bunch of stuff like this now. In fact, there will be a tab (or something) added for all installed games where you can easily see everything installed and manage them from there.

Reactions: MRJPGames

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, the idea is for devs to host their own releases ultimately, so that's not a problem.

So if you wanted to update 2048, you would simply need to change the file URL (and filesize + md5) and change the version number and make a PR. Since you're whitelisted for that project too, the PR bot will auto-merge it. Though currently I don't have the bot running 24/7, I will soon.

It currently doesn't have the functionality to inform users of new stuff added or updates available to installed games. I'm working on a bunch of stuff like this now. In fact, there will be a tab (or something) added for all installed games where you can easily see everything installed and manage them from there.
That good to hear!
"This PR cannot be reviewed/merged properly until the 4 commits are squashed into 1."
Welp... I only use the github desktop app, which doesn't allow for that, and with about 0 knowledge on how the git shell actually works I don't know how to do this...
Anyway where I live it's midnight and I'm going to bed now, will look further into it tomorrow (it's probably pretty simple and I'm just missing something due to tiredness...)

TheCruel

Developer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That good to hear!
"This PR cannot be reviewed/merged properly until the 4 commits are squashed into 1."
Welp... I only use the github desktop app, which doesn't allow for that, and with about 0 knowledge on how the git shell actually works I don't know how to do this...
Anyway where I live it's midnight and I'm going to bed now, will look further into it tomorrow (it's probably pretty simple and I'm just missing something due to tiredness...)
Yeah haha, this is one of the few things I will put on the wiki to help out. I just have it accept single commits to minimize git history. That's why I recommended amending your commit. :P

Lord_Kater

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Tested it. First loading took a bit more time but now works great. But sometimes after exiting the app my screen has some graphic issues/glitches until reboot.
N3DS XL 10.1 E - Themehax

Last edited by Lord_Kater,

pdapanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I think for cia,it can just be a downloader,we have already got a lot of cia managers.
github repo is nearly blocked in my country,so if we can set where to download ourselves, it will be appreciated

Last edited by pdapanda,

TheCruel

Developer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Btw, is there a homebrew app already that allows you to browse and install themes?

I have an idea for making repos a bit more flexible in how they're read. I could do things like add a repo for themes, repo for certain type of emulator roms, repo for cfw plugins, or pretty much anything to be extracted in a certain place on the SD card.

Also, I think I got downloading working at about 600 KB/s now, but I'll wait a bit on this due to it needing some incoming ctrulib changes.

Jacklack3

( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here
Trophies
Website
jackomix.neocities.org
XP
Country
Canada
Btw, is there a homebrew app already that allows you to browse and install themes?

I have an idea for making repos a bit more flexible in how they're read. I could do things like add a repo for themes, repo for certain type of emulator roms, repo for cfw plugins, or pretty much anything to be extracted in a certain place on the SD card.

Also, I think I got downloading working at about 600 KB/s now, but I'll wait a bit on this due to it needing some incoming ctrulib changes.
Not that i think so.

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Actually, I think that Chmm2 allows for downloading themes already.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==