Gaming Windows patches security bug from 1993.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
A security bug from 1993 still exists in current versions of windows, will be patched soon.
QUOTE said:
The ancient bug was discovered by Google security researcher Tavis Ormandy in January 2010 and involves a utility that allows newer versions of Windows to run very old programs.
I wish windows would take a hint from apple(*) and just drop support for shit that's so old it can't run natively anymore.

(*) - Leopard dropped support for OS 9 apps, Snow Leopard doesn't have Rosetta by default (optional install), and chances are they're just going to drop Rosetta in the next version.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wish they made a real OS
smile.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
azure0wind said:
why should microsoft fix this? (noob at this)'Cause this security bug exists in modern windows versions (XP/Vista/7) as well.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/MS10-015.mspx

QUOTEThe vulnerabilities could allow elevation of privilege if an attacker logged on to the system and then ran a specially crafted application.
Meaning that if you let somebody else use your computer and put them on a normal/limited (not administrator) account, they could run a specific program and get admin access to all your files and such without having to know your password. That doesn't sound too bad, until you think about what would happen if somebody did this at... say... a company or school system computer. Suddenly they've got admin access to everything on that machine.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Athlon-pv said:
Wish they made a real OS
smile.gif
What exactly is wrong with windows, which OS do you use instead, and why?

Please try to avoid weasel words, and list actual facts and reasons.

Im using linux
wink.gif
because i don't like virus scanners malware program ?

A real Operating System doesn't allow marketing ploys to be their innovative "technology". Instead of making things like browsers cd/dvd burning they could have been spending time on not allowing administrator mode to be abused like it has been for to long. Stopping malware applications and plugging some obvious holes(like the spyware freeware crap that is out there).

Stuff like linux (there few others) are further along in regards towards real technical achievement.
BeOS was launched many years ago it centered around multithreading which if was implemented on the windows platform nearly everything today would be much faster not just games.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Athlon-pv said:
Rydian said:
Athlon-pv said:
Wish they made a real OS
smile.gif

Im using linux
wink.gif

A real Operating System doesn't allow marketing ploys to be their innovative "technology". Instead of making things like browsers cd/dvd burning they could have been spending time on not allowing administrator mode to be abused like it has been for to long. Stopping malware applications and plugging some obvious holes(like the spyware freeware crap that is out there).

Stuff like linux (there few others) are further along in regards towards real technical achievement.
BeOS was launched many years ago it centered around multithreading which if was implemented on the windows platform nearly everything today would be much faster not just games.
The main reason why OSs other than Windows are "secure" is because there is next to no interest to exploit it with Windows holding the biggest market share. I mean, if you were to somehow want to create a virus, what OS would you try to target then? The one with a massive user base or the one with a decent amount of users but non-existent in comparison. I know for sure that I wouldn't even bother trying to exploit other OSs as that would just be a waste of time.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
One of the big reasons windows machines are exploited so often is that programs are given admin rights by default, even with Vista/7 people will disable UAC and continue to run the same shit that was causing the warnings instead of taking a hint and switching to more secure programs.

MercilessDeth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why people act like programs using administrator mode in Windows is so evil...you have to log in as root or use sudo to do quite a few things on a Linux machine. The difference is, Windows doesn't make you type your password each time (although, if somebody got ahold of that they'd be able to do just as much damage, if not more, since root in Linux is pretty powerful).

Fact is though, there are a lot of factors that influence why certain OS's are more secure. Some BSD (maybe FreeBSD? I forget) has airtight security, but almost virtually no updates to how it runs since it was created. You want new features? You're gonna have to deal with new holes. Also, Windows is a layered OS, while Linux is still largely monolithic. That means that Windows components can be coded and implemented separately, then linked together; Linux kernels don't really work that way (well, it's changing, but you know what I mean).

I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, but most of the people that run around spouting bullshit (not necessarily in this topic, but in general) about this type of stuff haven't had too many computer science classes, and thus are pretty ignorant of the entire design process, so I just figured I'd throw in my two cents

damedus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
One of the big reasons windows machines are exploited so often is that programs are given admin rights by default, even with Vista/7 people will disable UAC and continue to run the same shit that was causing the warnings instead of taking a hint and switching to more secure programs.
I still dont see what is the big deal with putting passowrds on things or securing files etc. Or even using virus scaners of the sort. I dont get 1 virus or get my info taken at all because i simply dont download them, or put my info that I dont want to share into a pc, if i do its because I dun care about that info. also games so what if u get hacked its just a game you can start over anyways. The point if to waste time/have fun not achieve anything in it. And before anyone says it yeah I dont see the point in PVP, Achievements, Trophies having pws to then store em on the pc itself ect. UAC its just an anoyance i have to turn off all the time that I install an OS.

On the other hand when at work, school companies should use other os if they have files they must allow employees to use but are sensitive.

But if people would just stop wanting other peoples files or having a kick out of infecting others then maybe all this security woudnt be necesary.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Minox_IX said:
Athlon-pv said:
Rydian said:
Athlon-pv said:
Wish they made a real OS
smile.gif

Im using linux
wink.gif

The main reason why OSs other than Windows are "secure" is because there is next to no interest to exploit it with Windows holding the biggest market share. I mean, if you were to somehow want to create a virus, what OS would you try to target then? The one with a massive user base or the one with a decent amount of users but non-existent in comparison. I know for sure that I wouldn't even bother trying to exploit other OSs as that would just be a waste of time.

Wrong
smile.gif

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ifish said:
i know this in non-revelent but. i actually use all 3 OS ubuntu, OS X and windows 7

cool me too, triple-boot, love my compatibility i can run any program released in the world

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Athlon-pv said:
Minox_IX said:
Athlon-pv said:
Rydian said:
Athlon-pv said:
Wish they made a real OS
smile.gif

Im using linux
wink.gif

Wrong
smile.gif
Maybe you should read around. Sometimes Linux Kernel exploits come up here and there. Just Google "linux kernel exploits" and enjoy. Something recent: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/17/li...kernel_exploit/

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i always had the perspective of that linux doesn't get viruses for many reasons
1) Small user-base
2) enhanced security (compared to windows but windows is getting there)
3) its community developed so many exploits are found faster ans get fixed faster than an exploit in windows who knows what chain of command the people at microsoft have to follow just to get one bug fixed
4) most virus makers use linux because they know of all the security flaws of windows so why would they corrupt their own pc
but just because linux doesn't have many viruses now doesn't mean it will stay that way

Athlon-pv said:
Prowler485 said:
Athlon-pv said:
Im using linux
wink.gif

Enjoy your lack of support for software.

What lack of support ?
Been using linux on this machine for over 5 years now.

alot of people don't like finding alternatives to their favorite apps so they give up and say it can't be done on linux but i guess he means no windows programs working on linux which alot of linux noobs have a problem with understanding

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Athlon-pv said:
Minox_IX said:
Athlon-pv said:
Rydian said:
Athlon-pv said:
Wish they made a real OS
smile.gif

Im using linux
wink.gif

Wrong
smile.gif
How about backing that up with some actual fact instead of just saying "Wrong"?
wink.gif

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Moniox is completely correct. Most forms of attacks are targeted at the end user because they are the easiest to infect. They can be easily deceived into clicking on links, ads, installing software and just agreeing to everything they see in general.

Windows definitely has the most flaws in security. No one can deny that fact. They are working on that with all the security changes made starting from Vista (and I'm not just talking UAC but what you don't see!). At the same time though, it most certainly is attacked the most because that's precisely where the majority of end users are. Look at the recent (and hilarious I might add) F1 shit with XP. Yes it's exploiting an issue in vbscript but they are also aiming to trick the end user into pressing F1.

In the end, it's the user that is the most fallible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse