wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You could use BCDEdit.exe after you install, though it's a pain in the ass to do it.
Or use something like EasyBCD then make Vista default and set the timeout to something like 3.
There's no other way to boot into Windows 7 other than through that menu.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have heard that upgrading from vista is similar to upgrading vista versions.

If you upgrade from vista, it morphs your key in a way that you no longer have a vista key, so if you were to want to go back, you'd basically be screwed.

That's just if you're using a legitimate key though.

My experience with this OS has been ultimately positive. I had installed it kind of as a joke, but I continued to run it, and now I won't go back.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I find Windows 7 is a big advancement. And this is coming from a Mac user. Installed Win7 on the family laptop, and it made it run so much faster than with Vista on it, but I'll stick with my Mac
biggrin.gif

playallday said:
How do you remove the watermark
mad.gif
?
This worked for me on the leaked 7100 build.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/01/06/r...nd-server-2008/

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just like to say that this is a much better improvement from the BETA versions. Much better driver support, and slightly faster as well
biggrin.gif

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
webyugioh said:
If you have a computer that is fast enough for it,
I have found that the easiest was to test out Windows 7
is to use Virtual PC 2007.

I've tested out the beta that way and plan to try this out too.
I'd say that VirtualBox or VMware Workstation would be a much better choice for such a task.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Twiffles said:
So apparently, you can go from Vista SP1 to Windows 7. xD
Is that a favorable choice or no?
Since, if I want to dual-boot I'd rather always boot into Vista without that menu and go into 7 when I do that F8 thing or whatever.

Well I tried a straight install of 7 last night and encountered a lot of driver issues. Then I reinstalled Vista SP1 and my drivers, upgraded and now everything works perfectly.

So if anyone has issues I advise trying an upgrade, it works a lot better.

Jiggah

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone tried to do a VHD boot on Vista/Windows 7? I'm looking through some sites and it appears that the newest bootmgr and bootsect for Windows 7 supports this feature. I'm hearing you can replace the ones in Vista with the Windows 7 versions and allow for VHD booting, which would be much, much better than playing around with it in a virtual environment, since you'll have full hardware access.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Twiffles said:
p1ngpong said:
So when the "trial" period is over, what happens then?

You can use one of the 100s of free beta keys given away. They work perfectly.
In fact, I used one already. Wndows 7 is so sexy and I think I might not be able to go back to XP.
Another thing I love about your trial ending; you can still use windows fine and it nags less than wga.
One small window on startup and thats it.

A lot of the programs I have are working fine on windows 7 and those that work buggily might be like that because they're 32-bit.
The only complaint I have is the "ownership" deal it has going on when trying to access private files on XP. If you "Take ownership" of the wrong folders, it could have devastating effects because XP can't access it anymore. I learnt it the hard way when my XP couldn't access Application Data folder.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
xcalibur said:
Twiffles said:
p1ngpong said:
So when the "trial" period is over, what happens then?

You can use one of the 100s of free beta keys given away. They work perfectly.
In fact, I used one already. Wndows 7 is so sexy and I think I might not be able to go back to XP.
Another thing I love about your trial ending; you can still use windows fine and it nags less than wga.
One small window on startup and thats it.

The RC itself is valid until March 1, 2010, at which point it will shut your computer down every 2 hours.

So your wrong there.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Regiiko

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tried this for a couple of days then reverted to XP because the driver support for my integrated graphics card was a bit dodgy.

Watching movies in VLC (Windowed mode, mind you), the quality tended to be very pixellated whereas on XP it was smooth. Plus every 30 minutes, the movie FPS would slow to a crawl ... like I said, dodgy drivers.

I did like it much better than Vista though! Microsoft have done a nice job with it.

If you're planning on getting the RC, I recommend you grab the Kaspersky Win 7 free trial, the key I got from Kaspersky expires in November '09. Not bad.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup