Windows 10 or 11 for better laptop lifespan ?

Payne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
Currently using MSI GS63 laptop ( I7 8750 ; 16GB Ram ; GTX 1060 6GB)

Was wondering, is it better to use windows 10 over windows 11 just to have better lifespan for laptop?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I mean, Windows 11 got a lot more telemetry so it might be worse for your battery because of it. Your "lifespan" won't really matter on which OS, it's all up to luck.

If you talk about battery? Maybe?

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not familiar with laptop architecture
But on desktop, there is no such thing as "overall lifespan", if the gpu dies, you change the gpu
The RAM dies, you change the RAM.
There was only one time where the "overall lifespan" had been reached on my old desktop
The CPU died, and all newer modern ones were demanding a more modern motherboard, which was incompatible with the RAM stick i had, etc..
That's when my desktop "overall lifespan" was reached, because when my cpu died, if I wanted to upgrade it, I had to change everything else too...

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not familiar with laptop architecture
But on desktop, there is no such thing as "overall lifespan", if the gpu dies, you change the gpu
The RAM dies, you change the RAM.
There was only one time where the "overall lifespan" had been reached on my old desktop
The CPU died, and all newer modern ones were demanding a more modern motherboard, which was incompatible with the RAM stick i had, etc..
That's when my desktop "overall lifespan" was reached, because when my cpu died, if I wanted to upgrade it, I had to change everything else too...

Average life of a laptop is three to five years, so it depends on how long it been in use, laptop can last longer if properly taken care of, like repasting cpu thermal paste when it dry out, replace part when they died out.

CPU core should be adjust to max to get the maximum performance out of it, anyway that 16GB and GTX 1060 nothing fancy.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Windows 10 vs 11 will have no effect on the lifespan of your PC. However, as has been stated by Hayato213, Windows 10 end of service date is October 14th, 2025.

Do your laptop even have working Win 11 drivers?

You need to find out if it has windows 10 drivers

What? Windows 8 was the latest when I built the PC I am still using and there are zero driver issues whatsoever running Windows 11. I don't think that's an issue at all.

Reactions: Payne

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? No. It depends on what OS is currently installed. If they have Win 11 installed, telling them to get the Win 10 driver because the laptop came with Win 10 is terrible advice.

I am basing off the specs, when company was manufacturing the following specs of ( I7 8750 ; 16GB Ram ; GTX 1060 6GB), there was no windows 11. If OP bought a modern laptop, then obviously it would be windows 11 since OEM no longer provide preinstalled windows 10 OS with newly purchased computer.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am basing off the specs, when company was manufacturing the following specs of ( I7 8750 ; 16GB Ram ; GTX 1060 6GB), there was no windows 11. If OP bought a modern laptop, then obviously it would be windows 11 since OEM no longer provide preinstalled windows 10 OS with newly purchased computer.

It's still an assumption. It seems the OP isn't very knowledgeable about such things, so telling them to get Win 10 drivers would be counter-productive and confusing if they have installed Windows 11.

OP. Get the drivers for the OS. If Win 10 is installed, get Win 10 drivers. If Win 11 is installed, get the Win 11 drivers.

Reactions: Redhorse

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since my crystal ball(s) broke years ago..., seems to me that's something none of us will know until the end of the Win 11 life (usage)

Generally the laptop last about 3 to 5 years, and Microsoft support an OS outside of long term service branch is 10 years or no, I think it come down to OP preference on what to use.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently testing a laptop which needs 8GB RAM (only has 4GB) and the thermal paste or whatever it is needs to be changed because it overheats quite fast (I installed Core Temp to keep an eye on it as it somewhat helps).

I had Zorin OS on it, but went back to Windows 10 LTSC as I'm just so used to it and love using it.

Edit: It also needs a new battery since the current one is drained up (if lucky, it lasts one hour).

Reactions: Payne

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: im fucking motivated