Question Will you get banned for playing lan multiplayer with an online console?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Rarzhn, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Rarzhn
    OP

Rarzhn Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2018
    Germany
    Literally the title.
    I own two Switches - one with cfw which is always offline and one without cfw which is connected to the internet. If I play for example Mario Kart local with these Switches could my cfw-switch be banned?
    Maybe they share some informations which my online Switch sends to Nintendo so that they could detect my offline Switch?

2. Draxzelex
    This message by Draxzelex has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Sep 18, 2018, Reason: No noob bashing please.
    Sep 17, 2018
  3. AlexTCGPro

AlexTCGPro Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2013
    Uruguay
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    If the hacked console gets online, absolutely, if you grab some router that isn't connected to anything and you use it to bridge the consoles then no as they never connect to internet

4. cattivik66

cattivik66 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2018
    Italy
    Playing LAN games does not require them to be connected to a wifi (tested only with Resident Evil and Monster Hunter).

The Switch connects each other directly.

Gamer4Ever likes this.
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    While it is technically possible, and indeed I could probably find an example of things sending log files to passing offline devices in the hope that it will make it back to a central server, and similarly unlikely to be a drain on resources, I don't yet think Nintendo have gone so far as to have other Switches become snitches. There might even be some legal problems with doing such a thing.

Meepers55 likes this.
  6. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Well since this thread is continuing I will repeat what I referenced in the Ban thread. The danger with turning the WiFi radio on is the Nintendo Hotspots that will connect to your Switch/3DS even if you do not have a WiFi connection set up. My N3DS downloaded a system update through one a few years ago when I walked into a hotel becuase I wasn’t careful enough have WiFi shut down.

The Nintendo Hotspots probably can’t reach into your house but if you are out in public spaces they can be anywhere and even nab you walking down an urban street with the Switch in your backpack.

Meepers55 likes this.
  7. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Mario Kart calls direct bluetooth connections "local wireless" and connection through a wireless router "LAN play." Not sure that every game uses those naming conventions consistently but its worth looking out for.

Basically exit airplane mode and don't connect to wi-fi and you'd be OK... as long as none of those dreaded hotspots are around.

8. eskinner3742

eskinner3742 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    I've played locally between my legit and my cfw switch several times with no problems. I even use my legit switch to update games locally to my cfw switch. Neither have been banned as of yet. As long as you don't connect to internet you're "fine"

But you should just expect your cfw switch to get banned. I mean, you either have ban or airplane mode forever. Once you run cfw you're living offline anyways.

I'm more concerned with my cfw corrupting my legit console. Don't think it will but I do get a little scared.

9. Chocola

Chocola GBAtemp Regular

Sep 18, 2018
    Korea, South
    Neko Paradise
    Switch have local communication to compare versions and serve updates between them, but never read something like one Switch send info to Ninty about another Switch, it's just a local feature I guess

Last edited by Chocola, Sep 18, 2018
    eskinner3742 likes this.
  10. eskinner3742

eskinner3742 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    Good, I was always a little worried about that.

11. Meepers55
    This message by Meepers55 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Sep 18, 2018, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Sep 18, 2018
  12. lembi2001
    This message by lembi2001 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Sep 18, 2018, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Sep 18, 2018
  13. Meepers55
    This message by Meepers55 has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Sep 18, 2018, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Sep 18, 2018
  14. thorasgar
    This message by thorasgar has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Sep 18, 2018, Reason: Reply to deleted post.
    Sep 18, 2018
  15. 2manyGames2play

2manyGames2play GBAtemp Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    Netherlands
    hmm, can you refuse such an update? It wouldn't be cool if a friend's switch would remotely update my switch and burning additional fuses (AFAIK this always has to happen with the user's consent).

16. Chocola

Chocola GBAtemp Regular

Sep 18, 2018
    Korea, South
    Neko Paradise
    I'm talking only of game updates, never see this with firmware updates, and yes, just promp you if you like update to same version using local communication, let you choose update or not.

For example if you want to play Mario Kart 8 on local communication and your friend have a more recent version than you, your Switch promt you if you like to update Mario Kart 8 to the same version of your friend, I supose that it's for play compatibility (recent version can have incompatibilities with older versions) but it's usefull too for CDN banned consoles or people that don't have Internet connection.

Last edited by Chocola, Sep 19, 2018