Will Wii U HDD work on friends Wii U?

Metalbeat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a modded Wii U with a HDD filled with games. My friend also has a Modded Wii U. If I take my hdd to his house and plug the hdd into his Wii U will the games be playable?

Thank you for helping me!

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
I have a modded Wii U with a HDD filled with games. My friend also has a Modded Wii U. If I take my hdd to his house and plug the hdd into his Wii U will the games be playable?

Thank you for helping me!
No! Every USB drive you format to use with YOUR Wii U will only work with YOUR specific Wii U.
I'm not smart enough to explain it properly, but here's what I think:
The WBFS partition on the drive is encrypted with a key that is unique to the console, making the drive just unusable on anything but that particular Wii U (unless a System Transfer is performed) without reformatting.
Post automatically merged:

If there's a particular game you wanna play on their Wii U, just use NUSSpli and install it that way.

Reactions: Blythe93

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
If there's a particular game you wanna play on their Wii U, just use NUSSpli and install it that way.
Additionally, the friend should get their own external HDD and install game to it instead of Wii U's internal memory. It's better to keep its space as free as possible for console's longevity's sake.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Lastly your friends console is also missing the tickets (which the console stores internally, no matter where the games are installed). So even if you could plug the HDD in the Wii U would refuse to start the games on it.

Reactions: Blythe93

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Lastly your friends console is also missing the tickets (which the console stores internally, no matter where the games are installed). So even if you could plug the HDD in the Wii U would refuse to start the games on it.
Therefore a faketik-like app for wiiu will be needed once we're able to reencrypt hdd contents 🙄

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Therefore a faketik-like app for wiiu will be needed once we're able to reencrypt hdd contents 🙄
Honestly, I think it'd be neat if someone could make an app where all you need to do is plug in the new drive, give the serial number of the old console, and it re-encrypts the connected drives and faketik's em

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a reason why LOADIINE is still very nice, with it, you can go to your friends with your SD and own collection.......
SAME Thing with what happened here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-full-erased.624159/
Stop saying that loadiine is worse than putting data on a hard disk, it as it's advantages!

Your comment has nothing to do what the OP is asking for, the topic is on HDD and not loadline.

Reactions: Ettino

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-