Hardware Will Wii Graphic card be burnt for leaving standby mode?

frantier123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I heard some people saying that if you leave your Wii in standby mode for 24 hours or so, it is possible that your Wii's graphic card will be burnt.

Just want to clarify this doubt ...

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In my experience, yes. Had to borrow a mates Wii, and he had all the black lines appearing on the screen, the common symptom of overheating of the graphics card. So just FULLY turn it off (Hold down the power button until it goes red when turning it off).

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
So just FULLY turn it off (Hold down the power button until it goes red when turning it off).
i would recommend that, i never leave my wii powered on when not used, i always have wiiconnect24 on while playing etc, or i leave on for an hour or so after i use incase i go back on, but totally power it off, even though i have a big fan power station for it, but best power off
tongue.gif

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've never had such a problem, but I've heard that it can happen... With all the recent commotion about 3.4E updating automatically and detecting the homebrew channel, you might as well turn it off.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i'd turn it off if its on big n might install a patch without you knowing. theres really no need to leave it on you connect straight away when its off whether its on or off anyway

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For some reason I don't like to leave my Wii in standby mode, therefore every time I shot it off I keep the power button pressed down until the light gets red ( that's how it's done in case somebody missed it ).
It's not a big deal, my Wii sits inches away from my couch anyway, plus when I need to power it on I can do that with the Wii remote all the same.
Leaving it in standby might lead to over heating on some models I heard, plus I don't trust it when the Wii gets connected by itself while I'm not watching and start exchanging data with the big N, call me paranoid !

india3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
You could just turn off stand by connection for WiiConnect24 in the options menu. Then it'll turn off to red just by pressing the power button normally. That's what I do...

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might be true,

As my Wii, whenever I turn it on from being in standby,

The right side of my screen turns yellow, and the other side blue.

It goes away if I turn the Wii off and on again, but then if I leave it sitting on the Wii Menu, the blue and yellow circles appear.

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MYTH!

I've had my Wii since the first x-mas after LAUNCH! I got Wi-fi maybe about a month later. I always use Standby mode, and I have no problems. Hehehehe...

Matt93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same here, its a myth! I've had my Wii for about a year and a half and have ALWAYS left it in standby mode whenever I turn in off. No issues whatsoever.

loaky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Egonny said:
I sometimes leave my Wii on (or in standby mode) for what, 7 days?
It's a myth, like all the others.

Me too, i've left mine on standby for about a week in the past and hasn't done it any damage. I would of thought anything 'graphical' would be switched off in standby. I'd think you'd be at more of a risk playing the Wii all day long.

Pitto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's not a myth, it happened to my wii, wich is in a free space under my TV. I have now annoying black pixels on my screen. But it is not with all games, I have the impression it is only when the processor needs to calculate fog effects or something transparent. Then the amount of black pixels go up dramatically...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up