Will Wii Graphic card be burnt for leaving standby mode?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by frantier123, Nov 29, 2008.

1. frantier123
    OP

Member frantier123 GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    I heard some people saying that if you leave your Wii in standby mode for 24 hours or so, it is possible that your Wii's graphic card will be burnt.

Just want to clarify this doubt ...

2. MicShadow

Member MicShadow GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    In my experience, yes. Had to borrow a mates Wii, and he had all the black lines appearing on the screen, the common symptom of overheating of the graphics card. So just FULLY turn it off (Hold down the power button until it goes red when turning it off).

3. djdynamite123

Banned djdynamite123 Master Of Hardcore!

United Kingdom
    i would recommend that, i never leave my wii powered on when not used, i always have wiiconnect24 on while playing etc, or i leave on for an hour or so after i use incase i go back on, but totally power it off, even though i have a big fan power station for it, but best power off [​IMG]

4. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    I've never had such a problem, but I've heard that it can happen... With all the recent commotion about 3.4E updating automatically and detecting the homebrew channel, you might as well turn it off.

5. frantier123
    OP

Singapore
    Oh. Thanks for you solution. I dun really know how to fully off my Wii. I just off my power control and thats all.

6. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    i'd turn it off if its on big n might install a patch without you knowing. theres really no need to leave it on you connect straight away when its off whether its on or off anyway

7. Egonny

Member Egonny GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    I sometimes leave my Wii on (or in standby mode) for what, 7 days?
    It's a myth, like all the others.

8. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    For some reason I don't like to leave my Wii in standby mode, therefore every time I shot it off I keep the power button pressed down until the light gets red ( that's how it's done in case somebody missed it ).
    It's not a big deal, my Wii sits inches away from my couch anyway, plus when I need to power it on I can do that with the Wii remote all the same.
    Leaving it in standby might lead to over heating on some models I heard, plus I don't trust it when the Wii gets connected by itself while I'm not watching and start exchanging data with the big N, call me paranoid !

9. india3

Newcomer india3 Advanced Member

India
    You could just turn off stand by connection for WiiConnect24 in the options menu. Then it'll turn off to red just by pressing the power button normally. That's what I do...

10. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States
    I turn it off until the light goes red, but im sure leaving it in standby wont cause any issues.

*500th post* [​IMG]

11. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    It might be true,

As my Wii, whenever I turn it on from being in standby,

The right side of my screen turns yellow, and the other side blue.

It goes away if I turn the Wii off and on again, but then if I leave it sitting on the Wii Menu, the blue and yellow circles appear.

12. alex

Member alex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    MYTH!

I've had my Wii since the first x-mas after LAUNCH! I got Wi-fi maybe about a month later. I always use Standby mode, and I have no problems. Hehehehe...

13. Matt93

Member Matt93 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Same here, its a myth! I've had my Wii for about a year and a half and have ALWAYS left it in standby mode whenever I turn in off. No issues whatsoever.

14. DM357

Newcomer DM357 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    This isn't a myth, its real, just like when you put backup discs in the wii it will eat your cat. [​IMG] I miss my cat.

15. frantier123
    OP

Singapore
    Erm ... Ok ... I think there is a dispute here .... so is it a myth or real?

Confuse now

16. Billydick888

Newcomer Billydick888 Advanced Member

United States
    Id say its real, not myth but unlikely, i have had a wii since Christmas 06 and its always been on standby mode, Always.

17. loaky

Newcomer loaky Member

United Kingdom
    Me too, i've left mine on standby for about a week in the past and hasn't done it any damage. I would of thought anything 'graphical' would be switched off in standby. I'd think you'd be at more of a risk playing the Wii all day long.

18. mikeyt1998

Member mikeyt1998 YouTube Glitcher

United Kingdom
    oh man, why don't you people turn wii connect 24 OFF? then you don't have to hold the power button down. if ur gonna leave ur wii fully off every time you play it then why even have standby on?

19. Pitto

Newcomer Pitto Newbie

Belgium
    It's not a myth, it happened to my wii, wich is in a free space under my TV. I have now annoying black pixels on my screen. But it is not with all games, I have the impression it is only when the processor needs to calculate fog effects or something transparent. Then the amount of black pixels go up dramatically...