• Poll closed .

Hydrazine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There seems to be a VR movement lately. It started in 2012 with the Oculus Rift, and a chain reaction seems to have occurred. Other than the two obvious pieces of hardware (Oculus and now Project Morpheus), there seems to be an onslaught of VR hardware in the past 1 or 2 years.

HMD/VR Headsets:

Oculus Rift (PC)
Project Morpheus (PS4)
Avegant Glyph (PC)
Gameface Mk IV (Untethered)
VRase (Smartphone)
Infiniteye (PC)
Durovis Dive (Smartphone)

VR controllers/interface:

Virtuix Omni
Sixense Stem
Razer Hydra
PrioVR

The interesting thing is that they all came into existence this past 1 to 2 years. A lot of them from crowd funding. It's hard to say that there hasn't been a huge push into VR recent, but will it all succeed?

I think it will. We now have the technology to create realistic visuals and screens to display those visuals actually. Motion sensors are also now more accurate. All the pieces are in place. I see this as the next evolution in gaming.

logon

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I think in all depends on how they are implemented. No matter how good the technology is it will depend on how many people use them. I think it will half succeed. I think it will be like microphones in a video games. Some people use them some people don't.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I believe so. VR began it's roots in the late 60s, before that if you include simulation "rooms" where a horizon would be projected onto the walls of the room. There was a large upsurge of VR in the 90s with movies like Lawnmower Man and stuff, and people working on VR realized their time wasn't here yet and started working on Virtal Worlds like second Life and other things. I believe a lot of the technical and financial limitations have finally been overcome, and playing around in a VR world is now something you could do for hours on end, potentially without getting sick or getting a headache.

People think VR is a gimmick like touch screens and 3D and smell-o-vision. It's not. It's not an extension of current gaming. No, you'll find very soon that it will be the exact opposite. VR gaming is something completely different entirely and most games that work well on a 2D screen you will find are woefully inappropriate for VR. This is something that you understand, something that just "clicks" when you try VR for the first time. I feel like in the future comparing VR games to traditional PC and console games will be like comparing Video games and board games. There really is no comparison, and what works for one will not necessarily work for the other. This is the main reason why VR hasn't worked in the past. People just adapted traditional gaming philosophies and theories to VR and it's like oil and water.

Next comes the format wars. There will be a very awkward phase of VR formats coming very soon that will battle for supremacy. One, possibly two will come on top. The others will either adapt or fail, and most headset manufacturers trying to cash in on the craze will fail anyway. It will be both a battle of format and a battle of hardware.

If we can get past those hurdles, yes, I believe we can and will see the age of VR.

Reactions: gamefan5

TheJeweler

Connoisseur of the Fistic Arts
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes VR will succeed in this age, as of right now I believe the oculus will do the best. As for what TwinRetro said, I kinda miss smell-o-vision...

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I understand that things would have to be completely redone for something like this but I can definitely see a bunch of HD VR remakes popping up all over the place with this.

First person shooters would be the obvious base for this as well as any flight simulator or racing game that already had a cockpit view but for 3rd person stuff wouldn't be that far fetched of an idea to just make the gamer be the floating-head camera (think "lakitu" in Mario 64) and have the stereoscopic 3D rendered world projected in front of you (just with the added ability to move your head and look around the gaming world)

Obviously, this would force devs to actually render things that normally wouldn't always be on screen, drop detail instead of frames when the GPU can't handle it, and not use certain rendering tricks that rely heavily on the screen being flat ... as well as tweak the scale and aspect ratio to fit a real person ... but overall it seems doable to me as long as enough people end up with the hardware (which is always the chicken and the egg scenario for game devs on any platform.)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm voting "unsure". It's certainly an interesting concept, but just because technology is now better means it's good enough. In fact, a failure may not even be caused by technology (simulation sickness is still around).
And as much as I hate to say it, but the phrase "...from crowd funding" isn't really a positive thing. It means it has the POTENTIAL to be a huge thing...but I doubt every single backer tried the VR they were backing and thought it was the bomb.

Finally, a perhaps strange question: what can VR do for you outside first person games? When I look at my steam library, less than 1/10th is a FPS (and as much as I hate it, I can't play metro 2033 for longer times cause I get motion sickness :( ). So I'm certainly going to pass on it, no matter how good it is. But I wonder if the people voting this thing to take off have clear indications of what they are going to DO with it. After all, the novelty of being in the matrix (as if that's a positive thing ;) ) kinda wears off after some days.

Wait...skip the previous 'finally'...another question: are these VR thingies fit for children? After all, nintendo has this awesome glassless 3D handheld. But it kind of sells DESPITE that gimmick. Which is no wonder, as it is unsafe for the eyes of their target audience in the first place.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'm voting "unsure". It's certainly an interesting concept, but just because technology is now better means it's good enough. In fact, a failure may not even be caused by technology (simulation sickness is still around).
They are working on it. So far they're just tweaking blur, framerate and response times, but one day, maybe, galvanic vestibular stimulation. Now I'm sure not many people will allow their brainmeats to be microwaved by strange machines, but one day, maybe. There is always hope.

And as much as I hate to say it, but the phrase "...from crowd funding" isn't really a positive thing.
Sony's model isn't crowd funded. That means that serious soulless number-chewing profit-grubbing corporate drones have decided that market data suggests VR is the bomb. Of course, soulless number-chewing profit-grubbing corporate drones have been wrong before.

Finally, a perhaps strange question: what can VR do for you outside first person games? But I wonder if the people voting this thing to take off have clear indications of what they are going to DO with it. After all, the novelty of being in the matrix (as if that's a positive thing ;) ) kinda wears off after some days.
In 3rd person shooters, sneakers and action-adventures it's self-explanatory. Also, racing games and flight sims. It would make say, an RTS game look like it's being played with game miniatures on a scale model of the map. Sim City would look like a model city on your desk. 3D platformers would have a better sense of space and let you gauge the distances and positions of platforms better (always a problem with 3D platformers). Sense of scale would add drama to the game: cutesy games like Super Mario 3D World could be tiny characters running across a playset-sized terrain, while making the characters loom large would add gravitas to the setting. Side-scrollers (or any 3rd person game, really) could have hidden objects that you could see by peering behind obstacles. If nothing else VR would add visual depth to a game, and the very fact the world moves with the movements of your head (even if that serves no purpose regarding the game mechanics) makes it appear more real and lifelike instead of just being an image on a screen.

More than anything I welcome headtracking for that purpose. In real life, when you move your head for any reason, the scene you're looking at shifts slightly. When you're playing a game, even with 3D, moving your head doesn't affect the scene on the screen and you are separated from the game world: instead of having a window into a real live scene, you have a static display. VR headsets should give you that effect.*

Admittedly, VR will be complete crap in a lot of the cases (Sturgeon's Law is always relevant) because people will insist on making every single object, item and menu screen 3D, interactive and rotating just because it's there (why is the 3DS menu screen in 3D? because it can, duh). It's what they do with every new effect before they learn to rein it in. The first stereo recordings had a high percentage of intolerable garbage. 3D movies still go overboard with the effects for effects' sake. I don't doubt VR will be the same for a while. But that doesn't mean we should throw out the baby with the bathwater.

*[FAST-style aside, yo] You could get the same effect with an ordinary camera, Kinect or PS Eye, but game makers seem unable to not use every input they find as the sole control scheme. "What do you mean we should have headtracking and then just leave it there and not have the whole game revolve around it? No no no, either we make it the exclusive input and release the game as ONCOMING OBJECTS DODGER SIMULATOR 2014, or we remove it completely. What is this 'middle ground' you speak of?"

Wait...skip the previous 'finally'...another question: are these VR thingies fit for children? After all, nintendo has this awesome glassless 3D handheld. But it kind of sells DESPITE that gimmick. Which is no wonder, as it is unsafe for the eyes of their target audience in the first place.
But let's be honest, everything is bad for the eyes. Staring at any sort of screen is bad for you and there are always health and safety warnings and disclaimers and reminders to stop staring at the screen and go outside and get a life :ha:

xcrimsonstormx

He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its really hard to say right now I believe that it will be as others have posted that it will be more of a gimmick to help sell consoles such as the playstation eye for PS4 and Kinect for Xbox One I just pray that it won't become another standard requirement for PS4 users and/or Xbox One users if we even get to that point before this current console gen is over. Who knows we might see this as a standard feature in the next gen consoles, PS5 anybody?:unsure:

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Not on consoles.... the VR for the PS4 is like the Kinect for the 360. It will be too expensive for most consumers and won't be well supported. Games need to be made for it you can't just add it to a game on the PS4. If you look at the Oculus Rift modders are making it possible with first person games that work wonders but not every PS4 game will work and at least on a PC there will be modders that will try to make all games playable using it but since it is PC it won't be mainstream either.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I... don't know. When it comes to VR in gaming, we're talking about another gimmick (let's face it, it's not much more than that), and those have proven to be unpredictable in the market place at best. Not many predicted the success of the Wii or DS's gimmicks, and the Wii U's GamePad and the 3DS's 3D screen have largely been met with indifference. PlayStation Eye and Move, Microsoft Kinect, these are other examples that were met with moderate success but remain gimmicks.

The main difference with VR is that it's mostly a solo affair (unless you use it as a replacement for split screen in multiplayer games). Wii Remote, Eye, Move and Kinect were all popular because they bring people together and they were all pretty much affordable. Oculus' CEO said that he hoped the Rift would sell for $300, though Sony's could be cheaper if they subsidise the costs. I just can't see that kind of thing being a family purchase.

That being said, VR is one of those things that we've strived to attain perfection with for a long time, it's never going away and the technology has a lot of uses beyond gaming and entertainment. My interest is certainly piqued and I'll be evaluating the PS4 bundles when Morpheus is released.

Hydrazine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I... don't know. When it comes to VR in gaming, we're talking about another gimmick (let's face it, it's not much more than that), and those have proven to be unpredictable in the market place at best. Not many predicted the success of the Wii or DS's gimmicks, and the Wii U's GamePad and the 3DS's 3D screen have largely been met with indifference. PlayStation Eye and Move, Microsoft Kinect, these are other examples that were met with moderate success but remain gimmicks.

The main difference with VR is that it's mostly a solo affair (unless you use it as a replacement for split screen in multiplayer games). Wii Remote, Eye, Move and Kinect were all popular because they bring people together and they were all pretty much affordable. Oculus' CEO said that he hoped the Rift would sell for $300, though Sony's could be cheaper if they subsidise the costs. I just can't see that kind of thing being a family purchase.

That being said, VR is one of those things that we've strived to attain perfection with for a long time, it's never going away and the technology has a lot of uses beyond gaming and entertainment. My interest is certainly piqued and I'll be evaluating the PS4 bundles when Morpheus is released.

Its not a gimmick if people are truly excited for it. The Oculus already has support from a huge number of indie devs and even AAA publishers have pledged support before the Oculus consumer model gets released. Gameplay of the Oculus is all over YouTube and I see the device constantly talked about on numerous tech sites. Even Valve has pledged to support Oculus, and Valve is basically is PC gaming. Maybe it'll only take off on PC, but that's enough to be called successful.

If you look at the Oculus Rift modders are making it possible with first person games that work wonders but not every PS4 game will work and at least on a PC there will be modders that will try to make all games playable using it but since it is PC it won't be mainstream either.

Even if it only succeeds on PC, how would it not be mainstream? There are more PC gamers internationally than console gamers if you didn't know. Appromiate 1 billion in total. The PC MMO gaming population in China alone surpasses the number of Xbox360s sold world wide.

Reactions: xcrimsonstormx

xcrimsonstormx

He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if it only succeeds on PC, how would it not be mainstream? There are more PC gamers internationally than console gamers if you didn't know. Appromiate 1 billion in total. The PC MMO gaming population in China alone surpasses the number of Xbox360s sold world wide.

Do you have a source or article to back this up or is this just your own opinion? I would love to read more about that (I have no doubt about it that's for sure.)

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Its not a gimmick if people are truly excited for it.

The whole idea behind a gimmick is to get people excited for something, generating publicity. The Wii Remote generated a lot of excitement, but it was still a gimmick. The Oculus Rift is designed to get people excited about PC gaming in a new way, but it's still a gimmick because it's non-essential to the PC gaming platform.

It's not a gimmick if it's an entirely standalone device that runs on its own steam (although a particular feature of said device could be considered a gimmick).

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Hydrazine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you have a source or article to back this up or is this just your own opinion? I would love to read more about that (I have no doubt about it that's for sure.)

1 billion PC gamers world wide:

http://pcgamingalliance.org/press/details/pc-gaming-alliance-releases-two-member-exclusive-reports

100 million MMO gamers: (you can infer it's all PC as consoles are banned in China, and even if you sneak one in, online service won't work)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_gaming_in_China

Hydrazine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Aw, those poor Chinese gamers they're stuck to the inferior race.

Consoleraceftw!!

Isn't it so tragic? Being stuck to an open platform with better graphics, larger game library, free online service, mods, unlimited backwards compatibility, emulators, and an older playerbase. I prefer paying $60 a year for PS+!

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
No way of knowing until it happens but I think it will this time. I believe eventually Nintendo will throw their hat into the ring and I believe it will pick up like motion control did.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: It's Mayday fellas