Hardware Will the SD be formatted in FAT32 or in a custom format?

SD Format

• FAT32 like the 3DS

• Custom format like the Wii U

Results are only viewable after voting.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about you educate yourself, say, 4 seconds with google?
FAT32 supports up to 2 TiB with 512 byte clusters.
exFAT supports 128PiB with a theoretical maximum size of 16EiB.

I am referring to the SDHC and SDXC specifications, not the filesystem specifications.
Nintendo so far as adhered to the SDHC standard, and with the switch will embrace the SDXC standard.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

AlexanderLS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't imagine them using Fat32 or a custom partitioning.
Fat32 is not recommended for anything greater than 32GB.
Custom partitioning is just stupid and rarely used by any company for good reason.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
id be smart if they used a custom format. Prevents a simple file copy unless the proper encryption keys are used. The wii U one is not even hacked yet as i recall, or its not public at least.
They could use an encrypted UFS......

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ExFAT is not a requirement for SDXC. The 32 GB limitation on FAT32 filesystems is not accurate. It is an understandable misunderstanding as Microsoft Windows' partition manager will not allow you to great a FAT32 partition greater than 32 GB, but that's a Microsoft limitation. I've got a 200GB micro SDXC card that I popped into my Linux machine and reformatted to FAT32 with gparted.

AlexanderLS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ExFAT is not a requirement for SDXC. The 32 GB limitation on FAT32 filesystems is not accurate. It is an understandable misunderstanding as Microsoft Windows' partition manager will not allow you to great a FAT32 partition greater than 32 GB, but that's a Microsoft limitation. I've got a 200GB micro SDXC card that I popped into my Linux machine and reformatted to FAT32 with gparted.
The disadvantage is you cannot have files greater than 4GiB. It doesn't make sense to have such a large card and be unable to store large HD/4k video on it.
But yea you're right, You could format up to 16TiB as fat32.

Last edited by AlexanderLS,

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/capacity/

for the SDXC specification and the use of the SDXC logo, it is a requirement. FAT32 will work on a card larger than 32GB but it will no longer be SDXC compliant.

if the Switch is SDXC compliant, it will use exFAT for cards larger than 32GB and FAT32 for cards smaller than or equal to 32GB. my guess is that smaller cards 2GB and below will not be formatted as FAT12 or FAT16 as per the SD standard but as FAT32.

Last edited by driverdis,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The disadvantage is you cannot have files greater than 4GiB. It doesn't make sense to have such a large card and be unable to store large HD/4k video on it.
But yea you're right, You could format up to 16TiB as fat32.
And the disadvantage of ExFAT is that it's a proprietary Microsoft format while FAT32 is ubiquitous and used by everything.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I also can't see them sticking to FAT32 due to games being larger than 4GB having issues, unless the system somehow splits the games into 4GB chunks. That I could see working.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also can't see them sticking to FAT32 due to games being larger than 4GB having issues, unless the system somehow splits the games into 4GB chunks. That I could see working.
Splitting them into multiple files should not be a problem. I mean, look at USB loading on the Wii for example; if you used a FAT32 filesystem and a game greater than that 4GB limit, it would be split into multiple files.

AlexanderLS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And the disadvantage of ExFAT is that it's a proprietary Microsoft format while FAT32 is ubiquitous and used by everything.
FAT32 originated from Microsoft.
I never said anything about exFAT.
You need to stop assuming things.
I said I doubt they would use FAT32 or a custom partitioning.
They could use many better/more open partition types. Fat32 is Microsoft in the same way exFat is.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAT32 originated from Microsoft.
I never said anything about exFAT.
You need to stop assuming things.
I said I doubt they would use FAT32 or a custom partitioning.
They could use many better/more open partition types. Fat32 is Microsoft in the same way exFat is.
I never said you said anything about ExFAT. However, as the default file system (and while we're being pedantic, 'file system' and 'partition' are not interchangeable terms) on SDXC cards, it is the next logical choice for a file system after FAT32 or a proprietary Nintendo file system.

As for FAT32 being Microsoft, not quite. They did indeed work on it, and they do have a patent relating to it, specifically with their implementation of long file names. But that can be and has been worked around. FAT32 is the ubiquitous file system that is supported by pretty much any device.

C0mm4nd_

Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Italy
btw the poll is more
"Existing, not encrypting format vs Nintendo Custom Format"

Who cares if it's FAT32, exFAT, NTFS.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are software you can grab on multiple os to allow formatting beyond 32GB. However the maximum file size still applies.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

btw the poll is more
"Existing, not encrypting format vs Nintendo Custom Format"

Who cares if it's FAT32, exFAT, NTFS.
Microsoft cares cause they can then charging for licensing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: