Will the Circle Pad Pro no longer be supported?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Ericzander, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Ericzander
    OP

Ericzander I used hax to get yellow name

pip Reporter
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    Hey guys, so we all know that Majora's Mask 3D and Monster Hunter 4 will both support the circle pad pro in addition to the new nub on the NEW 3DS. Deciding that I wanted to keep my current 3DS (no Gateway yet on the NEW model and I can't justify spending the extra money for better 3D and shorter load times) I was wondering how long it'll take for the system to become completely outdated.

The new Smash for example doesn't use the CPP. Do you guys think that titles will simply stop support for it completely?

2. MegaAce™

MegaAce™ Steal back your future.

Nov 28, 2008
    Gambia, The
    There isn't much support to speak of as of now, wouldn't you say?

But if they do program the controls on the extra buttons and nub of the N3DS, why shouldn't that work on the CPP too?

3. Ericzander
    OP

Ericzander I used hax to get yellow name

pip Reporter
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    Yeah there's not lots of support now, that's true. But I figure the NEW 3DS will have a larger install base so more games will be released that will use the new buttons and controls. It seems that if they wanted to they could start supporting the CPP again. BUT they may decide not to as a reason to get people to upgrade (I hope that's not the case).

4. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    It is almost certainly dropped. The main reason cited by developers for the lack of support is the fact that it actually uses CPU resources due the adaptor itself not containing much real circuitry to run itself. This put off many developers from supporting an extremely niche product. This is also why the New 3DS and Circle Pad Pro are not 'automatically' compatible.

This, and Nintendo's own desire to push people towards the New 3DS, will probably ensure that there will be no more Circle Pad Pro games.

cvskid likes this.
  5. MegaAce™

MegaAce™ Steal back your future.

Nov 28, 2008
    Gambia, The

A install base larger than the standard 3DS line? Don't make me laugh. :rofl:

6. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    He's suggesting that the New 3DS will have a larger install base than the Circle Pad Pro, which will almost certainly be true.

Kyouhei likes this.
  7. sebcle38

sebcle38 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 22, 2005
    France
  8. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    The reason it wasn't used in Smash and other games like Kid Icarus: Uprising is because it takes up system resources, and both games take full advantage of every bit of power the system can muster.