Will someone upgrade my R4i?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by ezzieyguywuf, Jul 5, 2012.

Jul 5, 2012
  1. ezzieyguywuf
    OP

Newcomer ezzieyguywuf Member

United States
    I currently own an R4i from the folks over at r4ids.cn. It is running wood v1.33, however I updated my DSi to v1.4.4, thus rendering the flashcart unuseable. Rather than purchasing a Slot-A card and borrowing a DSLit, I wanted to know if anyone on here owns that hardware, and wouldn't mind me shipping out my R4i to them and updating it for me? I would, obviously, pay for shipping both ways.

Thanks,

Ezziey

2. tranfeer

Member tranfeer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
    You can update it by yourself. Please do as the procedures listed below:
    1.Goto www.r4ids.cn an download V1.44 patch for r4i gold 3ds
    2.Please read readme.txt attached carefully and do as the procedures listed in it

3. ezzieyguywuf
    OP

United States
    The problem is I do not own a 3DS, and I don't have a slot-A card. Therefore I cannot run any of the update options, b/c I cannot currently run the flashcart from any of my DS devices. Does that make sense?

4. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    You can use the R4i to update itself on the DS phat/lite, there's no need to buy another flashcart to do so. You must surely know someone with a DS phat/lite?

5. ezzieyguywuf
    OP

United States
    I own a DS Phat and am in possesion of a DSLite. However I cannot run the card on these devices, on the DS Phat I get an error and on the DSLite it hangs at the 'Loading' screen.

6. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Your DS Phat and DSLite should be able to read your R4i Gold. If it hangs at the Loading screen, then it is likely an issue with the software on your micro SD card. I recommend backing up the games/saves on your SD card, reformatting your SD card, downloading Wood V1.49 for the R4i Gold, extracting it, and putting it onto your SD card. It should then be able to run on your DS Phat and your DSLite.

Once you have your R4i Gold working on those devices, download the 1.44 update file from the download site (there's one for the R4i Gold 3DS and one for the R4i Gold non-3DS. make sure you pick the one for your flashcart). Extract the files, put them onto your SD card, and run them on your R4i Gold.

7. ezzieyguywuf
    OP

United States
    I will most definitely try this when I get home this evening. To clarify, though, does the Wood OS (? it is an OS right?) run right off of the MicroSD or does it get 'flashed' onto some sort of EEPROM or something on the flash cart and run from there? If that is the case, then would the procedure you've outlined be effective at all?

Thanks! You have given me hope :-)

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Wood runs off the MicroSD.

What gets flashed onto the cart itself are the bootloader/firmware updates for DSi and 3DS compatibility.

Yes people will call things such as Wood that reside on the MicroSD "firmware", this is just a common mistake (most places and companies dealing with flash carts are from china and have shitty english so phrases get copy-pasted all over the place).