Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I never knew there was a PS2 emulator... Recently discovered it, and been wondering if it will run on my PC.

Here are the specs:
Processor: P4 - 3.4GHz
RAM: 2GB (512MB x 4)
HDD: 40GB (Main)
HDD: 640GB (Secondary)
Graphics Card: Radeon X550 (64MB)

Will it work? If it doesn't, can you tell me the minimum running requirements for it to work? And also wondering if PSX or ePSXe will run on my PC...

If it doesn't I will put aside this or choose to get a PS2 instead then soft mod it.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well afaik you should sport at least a decent Core2Duo CPU (or something equal AMD dualcore) and a better graphics card...I would guess something around the range of a 7800GT and up...but I haven't tested so I may be mistaken.

But your GPU is to weak for this...and a 3,4 Ghz P4 isn't state of the art...

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
amn... Using a Dell Optiplex GX280. It is old and used... The Only reason why I have it is because I am using it until I get to HighSchool or University/College. Parents won't allow me to upgrade computers yet, but maybe Graphics Card.

Thinking of getting a GeForce 8600 or 9500.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Just get a PS2 and softmod it, it'll be better in the long run. The emulator is still far from perfect.

Splych said:
And also wondering if PSX or ePSXe will run on my PC...

Either will work fine.

QUOTE(Splych @ Jul 21 2009, 08:43 PM) but maybe Graphics Card.

Thinking of getting a GeForce 8600 or 9500.

From what I remember a lot of it is Processor dependant, and a dual core is heavily advised. I wouldn't even bother getting a video card and "upgrading" because of the bottleneck the processor will cause. Just wait for a while, save some money, build a new computer from scratch.

DarkCamui

Trophies
XP
Country
PCSX2 is still very bugged with most games, some do run very nice but most games have minor or major issues with speed or graphics. Now if you have a very powerful system with Core i7 and a very good gfx card the games that have slowdowns will be fine but some games still have graphics issues.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mhm aiight.

I am gonna go start picking out some parts to start me off. I want this PC to last me for a few years. At least until I am done HighSchool + University/College. Gonna go pick out an i7 Core
tongue.gif

And gonna pick a graphics card that is 1GB + 4GB RAM + 500GB HDD (x2) then yea... That's pretty much an ideal PC to me. It'll help me for years xDD.

DarkCamui

Trophies
XP
Country
Splych said:
Mhm aiight.

I am gonna go start picking out some parts to start me off. I want this PC to last me for a few years. At least until I am done HighSchool + University/College. Gonna go pick out an i7 Core
tongue.gif

And gonna pick a graphics card that is 1GB + 4GB RAM + 500GB HDD (x2) then yea... That's pretty much an ideal PC to me. It'll help me for years xDD.

Nice, I have a Core i7 system with 6GB DDR3, 1TB+500GB and GeForce 9800GTX+ and it runs PCSX2 very nice but I still prefer the "real" system over the emulator but give it a few more months perhaps and the emulator will rock even more. By the way when I got this PC I first thought about getting parts but when I checked out Dell's site I could get a whole Core i7 system for the same price as only Core i7 CPU, motherboard and ram strange as it sounds so I obviously went with the Dell option and replaced the PSU and the graphics card and it was still cheaper. Don't know how it is where you live though
tongue.gif

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Live in Canada. But I actually wanna make a fully custom PC. I will look into Dell's PCs again if they are cheaper for me, and actually, I only want a case with a Windows. I heard that some of Dell's motherboards don't measure temperature so that's why sometimes, I don't want to use Dell.

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:

This is a good idea, but I would suggest getting a new motherboard + cpu because a P4 will not cut it for PCSX2. I've been using the emu awhile and even with a 3.0GHz Core 2 Duo it slows down every once in awhile.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh yea. I am obviously gonna get a new motherboard xDD. But my Screen can wait. I have a 17" (or was it a 19"...) BenQ screen. It pwns for me right now xDD. Planning on buying the other one off of my Dad since I got this one from him. Then will have dual screens! Woot Woot! My graphics card is only 64Mb but supports Dual VGA Screens ^^.

So far this is what I am thinking of...
Intel i7 920 or 950
4GB Ram (2GB x 2)
640GB (x2) [Since I already have one, I can get a matching one if I want to RAID)

Haven't thought of a motherboard yet, so don't tell me any. I am gonna be looking around NewEgg.ca for most of the parts, but when it comes to cases or any other part, I will try TigerDirect and CanadaComputers.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country

Because you're in Canadia it'd probably be cheaper to get all the parts seperatly than it would be to get a dell, over here in Europe though a Dell would be cheaper as seperate parts are pretty expensive at retail.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
just a reminder, pcsx2 doesnt use all 4 cores. it only uses 2 cores so far. and even though the pcsx2 team want to support 4 cores it doesnt seem to be happening any time soon.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have almost the same PC as you Splych.

Dell Optiplex GX280
2.8ghz Pentium 4 HT (single core)
2GB DDR2 memory (IIRC 512MBx4)
Intel Integrated Media Accelerator 900

So you can see this rig is a bit slower than yours. You have a 600mhz advantage over me and a dedicated graphics card to work with.

I've played Kingdom Hearts and Jak and Daxter using this PC and PCSX2. I was actually amazed to get 50%-100% speed on KH depending on the situation. The first scene at the Station of Crossing got around 100% speed quite often in fact. This is one of the faster games on the emulator because it's one of the primary ones they use to code it. There were some fairly noticeable but not too serious graphical glitches with the Island, along with some minor character texture black parts. Movies ran full speed at all times. Got past the Station scenes and a considerable amount of the Islands.

Jak and Daxter worked around 40%-80% full speed with even fewer graphical glitches than KH1. The only glitches I saw were some shadow issues (which happens to everyone apparently regardless of your system) and some characters' eye textures. This one game stunned me the most considering how amazing it looks and all. Especially the draw distance straining the graphics. I managed to beat the first training stage.

I also tried a FFX demo disk. It had a lot of glitches and usually only ran at 50% speed at all times or a bit slower. Not as much luck with this one. Didn't get far here due to slowness and glitches

So I was amazed that I got the speed I did and the games working even on a shitty system like mine. You could imagine how well a dual core with a somewhat decent graphics card could run, even a slower one. Games I tested were run in native resolution of the PS2. I enabled most speed hacks and they didn't even crash or anything.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@Law ~ I got a few sources to buy from... Which is a good thing ^^. Gonna start picking some parts at different sites.

@.radiant. ~ I actually just wanted to ask people if it would run on my PC xDD. Nothing else... But granville here just told me that he can actually run it which tells me a lot...

@granville ~ That's awesomee ^^. To find out it runs on your PC, I am guessing it could run on mine. But not all games... I actually was just looking forward to playing some games from the Sony franchise. Games like the Final Fantasy Series, Kingdom Hearts, Tales of the Abyss. Then once they released the PS3, I noticed that they rarely had much RPGs... The PS2 had more RPGs than the PS3. Which disappointed me... Hopefully, they'll release a new RPG for PS3... I don't got one, but been thinking what I should get...

@ Golf ~ 3 sticks!? Damn... Oh well, it doesn't hurt to try 6GB (2GB x 3) and if I want it to be even, 8GB (2GB x 4). Time to research...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill