Will new 3ds xl power on with this parts disconnected?

Lolvide

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I need to know if a new 3ds xl will turn on if the next things aren't plugged in: upper screen ribbon, speakers and sliders ribbon, camera ribbon, triggers.

If you want context make sure your hands are empty and ready to facepalm: so i wanted to customize my n3ds xl by swapping a couple of things: the right analog for a psp analog, the left analog for a different colored analog from aliexpress, and the lower front shell for a different coloured one off of aliexpress aswell. The first two were easy, but little did i know the absolute MADNESS that swapping the inner shells means. In the process i managed to break the old lower front shell, cut the upper screen's ribbon, break the tab that holds the left analog's ribbon (just a little, it's still usable), cut my finger AND have the console not turn on... well the blue light does turn on for like 3 seconds, and then the screen flashes and the console turns off. I had already bought a replacement upper screen before realizing that it won't stay on, but now i'm thinking of cancelling the purchase and just buying another n3ds xl (with another month worth of my part-time job's pay T.T). I need to know if the console is not turning on because some things are not plugged in or if i just managed to achieve the greatest waste of money, time and sanity of my year.
Thanks for reading :( here's a pic of the ~end~ result, triggers are also red
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-03 at 02.20.28.jpeg

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Bad luck... The 3DS will not power on without at least both of the screens connected and most likely the speaker cable too, it will just turn on the blue light for a moment and then turn off again like you described, with a speaker popping noise and/or short white flash on one of the screens, obviously depending on which of those components are connected. The rest shouldn't matter, but if you start messing with the bottom screen, don't forget that the bottom screen has a separate small cable for its backlight which is also necessary.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The backlights have to be connected both. It will power on without the picture/data cables of the screens – as can be seen here. Make sure all cables are oriented correctly. I also think the speaker/slider cable is needed.
Camera and (L)(R)(ZL)(ZR) aren't needed. Without main circle pad it will boot but Home Menu will go crazy.

Sorry to say this: A classic case of "If it's not broken, don't fix it."

Reactions: Lolvide

Lolvide

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Bad luck... The 3DS will not power on without at least both of the screens connected and most likely the speaker cable too, it will just turn on the blue light for a moment and then turn off again like you described, with a speaker popping noise and/or short white flash on one of the screens, obviously depending on which of those components are connected. The rest shouldn't matter, but if you start messing with the bottom screen, don't forget that the bottom screen has a separate small cable for its backlight which is also necessary.
Ok so what you're saying is that i'm experiencing a known error and that the cause is likely the exact thing that i though it was, which is fixable? How is that bad luck? you've given me hope! I'll wait for the replacement screen to arrive and update after i've reconnected everything.
Thanks for sharing your madness, it might indeed turn out to be a great waste of money but keep us posted!
If it's bricked it'll be the prettiest brick out there, i'll probably keep it as an ornament (which will double as a reminder of NOT COMPLEATLY DISASSEMBLING WORKING HARDWARE).
Sorry to say this: A classic case of "If it's not broken, don't fix it."
I mean, yeah, but i think the result looks amazing, and if it works again after i get the replacement screen i'll treasure my n3ds a lot more for the hardship that meant getting it pimped and because it being so difficult means not many people have done it :) Rest assured that i won't be pulling this stunt again anytime soon, though. Not only did i managed to create all of the problems that i listed, but also removing the hinge mechanism and inserting it in the new inner shell was incredibly difficult, took me an hour before i gave up on taking the hinge out of the old shell with delicacy and decided to break the shell to take the hinge out, and took me another half an hour to fit the hinge in the new shell.

Lolvide

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
well the blue light does turn on for like 3 seconds, and then the screen flashes and the console turns off. I had already bought a replacement upper screen before realizing that it won't stay on.
UPDATE: the replacement screen arrived and i was able to install it without breaking anything else. It still won't turn on. I can't even tell you if the replacement part i got was working to begin with since the problem is stil the same: 3 seconds of blue "on" light and then it turns off with a *pop* from the speakers. I'm declaring this console dead, thanks again for trying to help. Here's a last picture of it, now clean and fully assembled.
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-15 at 18.48.47.jpeg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-