Hacking Will arm9 ever work without a SDcard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, I guess it's possible, but it's way too dangerous and really unnecessary when you consider that there are few situations you'll boot without an SD card.
Read my edit.
As I stated earlier, it's fully possible. It was being looked at back when A9LH started to gain traction. Even Aurora was giving it a shot a while back.
It was concluded that it wasn't worth the time and effort. Besides, when do you ever not have an SD card in your 3DS? You need it to use ANY CFW.

Doesn't matter if you're on A9LH or not, if you're gonna use hax, you need an SD card.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Why would you want arm9loaderhax without an SD card; most 3DS games won't even fit in 3DS sysNAND... Also, you will not get SpotPass or StreetPass functionality...

Do you want to be able to swap SD cards and have arm9loaderhax work without using other device? GodMode9 can transfer your arm9loaderhax payload temporarily to NAND, then unmount SD, then put your payload on your new SD.

You shouldn't swap SD card while your 3DS is on (unless you are using Decrypt9 or similar that allow you to unmount SD card), in either emuNAND or sysNAND, or else data may be corrupted.

Last edited by uyjulian,
Reactions: hobbledehoy899

funnystory

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read my edit.
As I stated earlier, it's fully possible. It was being looked at back when A9LH started to gain traction. Even Aurora was giving it a shot a while back.
It was concluded that it wasn't worth the time and effort. Besides, when do you ever not have an SD card in your 3DS? You need it to use ANY CFW.

Doesn't matter if you're on A9LH or not, if you're gonna use hax, you need an SD card.

That is not the point,the point is that your system ceases to function period without an SDcard. I just don't like that idea for some reason it doesn't really sit well with me.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
the reason i think it would be cool to ofload some of the crap that gets lumbered on the SD to the spare nand area's including files such as the FIRM files, KEY files a few optional payloads such as decrypt9 to act as a recovery mode that is independent of SD setup......now while i totally understand that its completely unnecessary and "but urrrh duhhh why you boot with no SD you nab!!!" for me it would really be about having arm9loaderhax polished into something sleek and something that doesn't require its own special setup and files and config on each SD card, especially for people using a9lh with a updated sysnand having all the clutter off the SD would be pretty cool

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
That is not the point,the point is that your system ceases to function period without an SDcard. I just don't like that idea for some reason it doesn't really sit well with me.
Worst comes to worst, your SD card dies and you copy the SD card backup you hopefully have onto a new SD.

Reactions: Supster131

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Worst comes to worst, your SD card dies and you copy the SD card backup you hopefully have onto a new SD.
It's also much easier!
This is why I recommend going with sysNAND. Since transferring your emuNAND to another SD card is tedious.
This way all you need to do is transfer your files.

Reactions: astronautlevel

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was like you in the beginning. It feels weird, but you do get over it. It'd really just be a waste of time to allow no sd card booting because what will you do? Play a cartridge game you have? The functionality is severely broken anyways even without a9lh.

funnystory

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the reason i think it would be cool to ofload some of the crap that gets lumbered on the SD to the spare nand area's including files such as the FIRM files, KEY files a few optional payloads such as decrypt9 to act as a recovery mode that is independent of SD setup......now while i totally understand that its completely unnecessary and "but urrrh duhhh why you boot with no SD you nab!!!" for me it would really be about having arm9loaderhax polished into something sleek and something that doesn't require its own special setup and files and config on each SD card, especially for people using a9lh with a updated sysnand having all the clutter off the SD would be pretty cool

That's what I mean. This is one of the only hacks were you need an SDcard for the system to even boot up. I wish it functioned more like bootmii for the wii.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I was like you in the beginning. It feels weird, but you do get over it. It'd really just be a waste of time to allow no sd card booting because what will you do? Play a cartridge game you have? The functionality is severely broken anyways even without a9lh.

No SDcard wouldn't even have to boot the hack. I just do not like the fact that the n3ds blackscreens without an SDcard,it makes the hack seem sloppy and the way people mention it here it is like it was revolutionary.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i guess at the very least a little "warning a9lh SD required, please insert and reboot" would at least prevent someone having a mini heart attack if they mess about with your system XD

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: peteruk

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it makes the hack seem sloppy and the way people mention it here it is like it was revolutionary.
LMAO! You made my day sir! XD

Sloppy?! You don't even know what you're talking about. If you want it to work without an SD card, do it yourself :P Since you're making it sound so easy.
btw, A9LH is very revolutionary, 100% boot rate, faster boot times, and I can use sysNAND instead of emuNAND? Yes please.

(You can troll your friends and family too.. finally they can stop touching my shit.)

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I mean. This is one of the only hacks were you need an SDcard for the system to even boot up. I wish it functioned more like bootmii for the wii.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No SDcard wouldn't even have to boot the hack. I just do not like the fact that the n3ds blackscreens without an SDcard,it makes the hack seem sloppy and the way people mention it here it is like it was revolutionary.
... Because it sorta is. A9lh for the 3ds is a revolutionary idea that was brought to life. If it's sloppy you can fix the code yourself so it doesn't do that because this seems like an individual problem. I know many people that can survive just fine with having to stick an sd card into their system to boot. Anyways, I'm not looking to start a fight, so I hope you can understand booting without an sd card isn't a feature that people are necessarily looking for.

Reactions: astronautlevel

Dvdxploitr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think its nice that it boots from an SD card....it can act as a "key" to your system. You can also use it to share systems. If you have kids or if a significant other that plays on the same system, you just swap the cards out and they play their games, and you play yours.

Reactions: Just Passing By

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
nah i totally understand that people have more important things they are doing and i genuinely don't care all that much, but i do understand why people would be a bit put off by the fact your system without a SD is essentially a brick....personally i quite like a9lh as i said the only reason i would want anything is to make it feel more polished, but again not bothered enough to argue the toss about it :P

Reactions: peteruk

funnystory

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LMAO! You made my day sir! XD

Sloppy?! You don't even know what you're talking about. If you want it to work without an SD card, do it yourself :P Since you're making it sound so easy.
btw, A9LH is very revolutionary, 100% boot rate, faster boot times, and I can use sysNAND instead of emuNAND? Yes please.

(You can troll your friends and family too.. finally they can stop touching my shit.)

Honestly just sounds like you are defending your choice to have a9lh but you can't say it is 100% better than the other hacks if your system loses functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o