Homebrew WiiMC-SS - GameCube controller support and more

T0biasCZe

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
- Themes as args: theme= gray, red, green, blue, random, dynamic, and blank.
how to set the purple background?
1711292649179.png

HandsomeJack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@grandosegood

To answer your question again. For context, a typical IPTV 1280x720 stream will be at about 3000k. On 720x576 it's not worth going above CRF 13 or -qscale:a 2 (higher audio quality). You really are at the boundary point of what the device can do. It's likely this could be done at about -maxrate 2100k, assuming the USB interface really is much faster than the SD card. The command would look like this.

c:\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe -i input.mp4 -acodec libmp3lame -qscale:a 2 -vcodec libx264 -profile:v main -crf 13 -maxrate 2100k -bufsize 2M -vf scale=720:576 output.mp4

If that doesn't work, try dropping down to -maxrate 1900k

Reactions: grandosegood

MeXen

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I know i keep saying this every few months? but, when will development of this app would return?

1.- Any way to reduce random DSi crashing even when nothing went overboard?
2.- Bilinear disabling perhaps?
3.- Image loading restoration?.................please?

HandsomeJack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A bit of further context about downscaling a 1080p file using this:

c:\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe -i input.mp4 -acodec libmp3lame -qscale:a 4 -vcodec libx264 -profile:v main -crf 14 -maxrate 1600k -bufsize 2M -vf scale=720:576 output.mp4

This dynamically targets CRF 14 most of the time at a bit rate suitable for the SD interface's read speed. Some fast scenes will go up on CRF (lower quality), however, the subjective experience will be 576p video looking good and sounding OK.

When downscaling 1080p files, most of these are CRF 24 (lower quality, at about YouTube streaming quality). By targeting CRF 14 (better quality) when downscaling, ffmpeg will try to retain most of the quality from the source file.

Last edited by HandsomeJack,
Reactions: Disorarara

Amuro-san

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have a question about WiiMC, does it support SSA/ASS subtitles? It so happens that I watched an anime film from 1974 on my Wii today that doesn't have Blu-ray, and the video looks phenomenal, different from watching it on my PC. It turns out that my Wii is on a digital TV, but it's old (it has an S- input). video, component, VGA and HDMI) but it's small, it's 22 inches and as for the film, I extracted the content from the DVD (I didn't rip it) and put it on the SD (for some reason the WiiMC doesn't allow USB, it would be a good idea to update this someday) and it worked like a charm, now I'm going to use my Wii to watch anime that are 480p or lower, then I want to know about subtitle support

HandsomeJack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've been looking into directly ripping DVDs using ffmpeg, whilst combining the approach I suggest. It's essentially this (DVD Drive is X:\ ) :

c:\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe -i x:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_02_1.VOB -acodec libmp3lame -qscale:a 4 -vcodec libx264 -profile:v main -crf 14 -maxrate 1600k -bufsize 2M -vf "scale=720:576,yadif=mode=2" output.mp4

What's different is needing to specify a VOB file and adding in the deinterlacing filter yadif=mode=2.

What's hassle is where you're ripping a DVD movie and need to know which VOB files to concatenate together to get the whole movie using the concat protocol:

ffmpeg -i "concat:VTS_01_1.VOB|VTS_01_2.VOB"

Again, you'll get way, way better results downscaling a 1080p file of the movie. This direct ripping of VOB files is mostly going to be for ripping TV series DVDs where they've put each episode into a single VOB file where it's easy to figure out which are the right VOB files to rip (per episode).

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
I've been looking into directly ripping DVDs using ffmpeg, whilst combining the approach I suggest. It's essentially this (DVD Drive is X:\ ) :

c:\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe -i x:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_02_1.VOB -acodec libmp3lame -qscale:a 4 -vcodec libx264 -profile:v main -crf 14 -maxrate 1600k -bufsize 2M -vf "scale=720:576,yadif=mode=2" output.mp4

What's different is needing to specify a VOB file and adding in the deinterlacing filter yadif=mode=2.

What's hassle is where you're ripping a DVD movie and need to know which VOB files to concatenate together to get the whole movie using the concat protocol:

ffmpeg -i "concat:VTS_01_1.VOB|VTS_01_2.VOB"

Again, you'll get way, way better results downscaling a 1080p file of the movie. This direct ripping of VOB files is mostly going to be for ripping TV series DVDs where they've put each episode into a single VOB file where it's easy to figure out which are the right VOB files to rip (per episode).

What format would you recommend for burning to an actual disc?

HandsomeJack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What format would you recommend for burning to an actual disc?
Not sure.

https://www.wikihow.com/Burn-MP4-to-DVD
Post automatically merged:

There's an option to encode video using an average bit rate in Handbrake ('Avg bitrate' in the Video tab). Annoyingly, this is an average, as opposed to a maximum in ffmpeg.

I had a go at doing this at 1200K using the default software encoder and it doesn't work.

Interestingly, the AMD hardware encoder ('H.264 (AMD VCE)') does work at 1800 Avg Bitrate. Please note:

1. In your Preferences in Handbrake you need to have enabled the hardware encoder in Preferences, Video.
2. When selecting AMD VCE from the drop-down in the Video tab in Handbrake, it defaults to Baseline Encoder Profile. Select, Main, Auto.
3. Again, Audio needs to be MP3, Quality, 4.

The advantage of using the hardware encoder is it's very fast. Results still won't be as good as ffmpeg.

Last edited by HandsomeJack,
Reactions: Disorarara

HandsomeJack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just use the video converter called Handbrake.
The defaults in Handbrake cause frame drops in many videos when doing 576p (especially the CQ setting). This is from a previous post, where I worked out better settings. The two bits which matter are increasing CQ and using MP3 for audio. This accommodates the weak CPU on Wii.

"Preset: Very Fast 576p25

Summary tab: Under Format, select MKV.

Video tab: Select the hardware encoder (in my case H.264 (AMD VCE)). At Encoder Profile, select Main, 3.0. At Quality, move CQ to 24.

Audio tab: Codec as MP3, Quality, 4.

In the app, 'Skip Deblocking Filter' set to 'On'. Set 'Force 576p' to 'On'.

At these settings there may be a few frame drops here and there but not that many.

If you're having too many frame drops on a particular video, drop CQ to 26 and / or change to 'Very Fast 480p30'."

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The defaults in Handbrake cause frame drops in many videos when doing 576p (especially the CQ setting). This is from a previous post, where I worked out better settings. The two bits which matter are increasing CQ and using MP3 for audio. This accommodates the weak CPU on Wii.

"Preset: Very Fast 576p25

Summary tab: Under Format, select MKV.

Video tab: Select the hardware encoder (in my case H.264 (AMD VCE)). At Encoder Profile, select Main, 3.0. At Quality, move CQ to 24.

Audio tab: Codec as MP3, Quality, 4.

In the app, 'Skip Deblocking Filter' set to 'On'. Set 'Force 576p' to 'On'.

At these settings there may be a few frame drops here and there but not that many.

If you're having too many frame drops on a particular video, drop CQ to 26 and / or change to 'Very Fast 480p30'."

I usually use lower settings anyway as most of the stuff I convert is from DVD. In particular I have converted most of the episodes of my personal DVD set of the First 100 episodes of SpongeBob and they work without issue using a video bitrate of less than 1000kbps and m4a audio at 128kbps or 160kbps.

Though when it comes to HD content (Blu-Ray movies dumped with my PS3 using multiMAN) it is best to avoid VFR as it causes stuttering even on more powerful hardware.

Reactions: HandsomeJack

HandsomeJack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I usually use lower settings anyway as most of the stuff I convert is from DVD. In particular I have converted most of the episodes of my personal DVD set of the First 100 episodes of SpongeBob and they work without issue using a video bitrate of less than 1000kbps and m4a audio at 128kbps or 160kbps.

Though when it comes to HD content (Blu-Ray movies dumped with my PS3 using multiMAN) it is best to avoid VFR as it causes stuttering even on more powerful hardware.
Animation content is likely to rip from DVD without issue, especially if it's US DVDs being ripped to 720x480. It's just some content has trouble at 576p and moving the audio codec to MP3 frees up CPU.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1