Homebrew WiiMC-SS - GameCube controller support and more

russianjoint

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Thanks alot for this. I actually use my Wii to watch shows on, from time to time. It's just convenient.
Wanted to give this fork a try but it instatly freezes at launch.
As soon as the UI shows up on screen it completely freezes the Wii.
I have a european Wii mini and am using a USB stick. Original WiiMC works fine, never had this issue there.

HandsomeJack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks alot for this. I actually use my Wii to watch shows on, from time to time. It's just convenient.
Wanted to give this fork a try but it instatly freezes at launch.
As soon as the UI shows up on screen it completely freezes the Wii.
I have a european Wii mini and am using a USB stick. Original WiiMC works fine, never had this issue there.
Use MKV files.

The maximum resolution a Wii supports at all is 576p. You need to downscale video files using a tool like Handbrake ('Very Fast 576p'). Modern graphics chips have hardware encoding of H.264.

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/technical/video-vcn.html

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/technical/video-qsv.html

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/technical/video-nvenc.html

Once enabled, you'll need to select the hardware encoder from the Video drop-down list. In the first instance, try to use H.264 High Profile.

Reactions: russianjoint

russianjoint

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Use MKV files.

The maximum resolution a Wii supports at all is 576p. You need to downscale video files using a tool like Handbrake ('Very Fast 576p'). Modern graphics chips have hardware encoding of H.264.

Once enabled, you'll need to select the hardware encoder from the Video drop-down list. In the first instance, try to use H.264 High Profile.
You misunderstood me. The app freezes immediately at launch. This fork of WiiMC (WiiMC-SSLC) immediately freezes, as soon as the UI shows up on screen.

This happens on my european Wii mini, using a USB stick. Original WiiMC works fine, never had this issue there.

HandsomeJack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You misunderstood me. The app freezes immediately at launch. This fork of WiiMC (WiiMC-SSLC) immediately freezes, as soon as the UI shows up on screen.

This happens on my european Wii mini, using a USB stick. Original WiiMC works fine, never had this issue there.
Possible config file conflict.

russianjoint

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You were right. As soon as I renamed /apps/WiiMC-SS/ to /apps/wiimc/ it worked. Thank you! :)

It does seem to be a bit unstable and prone to crashing, though.
For example, it doesn't seem to like some of my music's cover art.
Switching back and forth between different videos also seems to make it crash.

That Mexen fellow does seem like an unhelpful troll. The app does work, it's just not very stable.

Reactions: HandsomeJack

HandsomeJack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You were right. As soon as I renamed /apps/WiiMC-SS/ to /apps/wiimc/ it worked. Thank you! :)

It does seem to be a bit unstable and prone to crashing, though.
For example, it doesn't seem to like some of my music's cover art.
Switching back and forth between different videos also seems to make it crash.

That Mexen fellow does seem like an unhelpful troll. The app does work, it's just not very stable.
Video in MKV container works better than MP4 container. You can swap container format using ffmpeg:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mkv

Switching videos does make it crash, yes.

Videos needs to be downscaled to 576p for stability ('Very Fast 576p' in Handbrake, High Profile H.264).

russianjoint

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Video in MKV container works better than MP4 container. You can swap container format using ffmpeg:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mkv

Switching videos does make it crash, yes.

Videos needs to be downscaled to 576p for stability ('Very Fast 576p' in Handbrake, High Profile H.264).
Thanks!
I usually use MKVToolnix for getting things to MKV and FFmpeg for converting stuff.

I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression WiiMC/WiiMC-SS doesn't like h264. Wether it's 576p or 480p. Frame drops are common and noticeable.
Xvid is a lot smoother, and can look just fine with a good codec (libxvid).

Last edited by russianjoint,

HandsomeJack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks!
I usually use MKVToolnix for getting things to MKV and FFmpeg for converting stuff.

I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression WiiMC/WiiMC-SS doesn't like h264. Wether it's 576p or 480p. Frame drops are common and noticeable.
I'm running it overclocked on a Wii U, so there's never any frame drops.

OK, Xvid might be better.
Post automatically merged:

Thanks!

PS: Audio codec might also influence performance: AAC vs MP3.

Last edited by HandsomeJack,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: There has to be some mutual agreement with them all anything over $600 is just pc territory