Homebrew WiiMC-SS - GameCube controller support and more

SuperrSonic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Is there a version that allows using the Wii U GamePad ?
It's not in my plans, I would like to see it happen but there's not a lot of motivation to add something I can't use or test. Though I did add volume changing with an audio filter if a Wii U is detected, which should be on the next release if I ever get to it.

On the topic of possible updates, now that there's a youtube solution that hopefully will stay around for a while, I think it's a good time to add the GameCube controls to the on-screen keyboard. Luckily there's already code for it, I just need to find a way to keep the selection after a press and a few other things.

Another feature that I'm pretty happy with is a Netflix-style screensaver:

It takes images named 0001.jpg, 0002.jpg, etc. and shuffles them to get a different combination each time. I've been using it for almost a year now and still find it cool. The first image I added has the date April 23, 2021, I currently have a total of 260 images that I've picked up over the year, but as the file names suggest you can have over 9000 images!

I've also been trying to improve brstm support, the 3DS/WiiU/Switch variants all carry the same type of stream so why aren't they all working correctly? It ended up being a pretty long rabbit hole so I'll spare the details, at the very least it should now cover most 3DS/WiiU/Switch audio streams. Only multi-channel PCM streams are broken because of missing planar support, and ADPCM streams with more than 2 channels play with some delay between seconds. I'm hoping to get one those two issues fixed before release but It's not looking good.

I wonder how big the WiiMC userbase is nowadays. I didn't get much feedback from when I added support for embedded cover art to several audio formats, that's something I remember from the early WiiMC days that got requested many times.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good Morning.:)

I wonder how big the WiiMC userbase is nowadays. I didn't get much feedback from when I added support for embedded cover art to several audio formats, that's something I remember from the early WiiMC days that got requested many times.
I think bigger than you think...💖
Since the "Youtube" Topic rises again,a little "more"...maybe.🤣

Playing Videos on the Wii is unfortunately not the Main Homebrew Topic...
So maybe the Youtube Thing will make more Users now aware of your great Work.👌

Also @XFlak is everytime "on the way" to always include the latest / current Versions of the various Apps in his ModMii.

So,thank you very much for keeping your wonderful Video Application alive.😊👌

Reactions: XFlak

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
It's not in my plans, I would like to see it happen but there's not a lot of motivation to add something I can't use or test. Though I did add volume changing with an audio filter if a Wii U is detected, which should be on the next release if I ever get to it.

On the topic of possible updates, now that there's a youtube solution that hopefully will stay around for a while, I think it's a good time to add the GameCube controls to the on-screen keyboard. Luckily there's already code for it, I just need to find a way to keep the selection after a press and a few other things.

It takes images named 0001.jpg, 0002.jpg, etc. and shuffles them to get a different combination each time. I've been using it for almost a year now and still find it cool. The first image I added has the date April 23, 2021, I currently have a total of 260 images that I've picked up over the year, but as the file names suggest you can have over 9000 images!

I've also been trying to improve brstm support, the 3DS/WiiU/Switch variants all carry the same type of stream so why aren't they all working correctly? It ended up being a pretty long rabbit hole so I'll spare the details, at the very least it should now cover most 3DS/WiiU/Switch audio streams. Only multi-channel PCM streams are broken because of missing planar support, and ADPCM streams with more than 2 channels play with some delay between seconds. I'm hoping to get one those two issues fixed before release but It's not looking good.

Your version of wiimc-ss will be the version modmii grabs effective whenever I finish my next update. Any effort you spend on this will reach a lot more ppl as a result. I hope this gives u a bit more motivation :)

Also how much is a used wiiU in your area to do the testing u mentioned? If it's out of your price range perhaps someone will volunteer to donate the amount u are short if they really want this feature added.

Once again, kudos on a job well done, and thanks for sticking around and supporting the scene. There aren't many of us old school scene contributors still around these days.

Darkworld92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
absolutely love this app! been testing a bunch of music videos at various resolutions (540p, 640p, hell even 720p) and they work surprisingly well :yaywii:

Kirä69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have encountered a problem. On my European Wii, and using an RGB cable on an PAL CRT, if I set the 576i 50Hz mode in the Wii settings, the WiiMC-SS application is distorted, without being displayed in full screen. The lower part of the screen is black, and the application looks flattened. Until now I was using it in 480i and it worked correctly.

@SuperrSonic, do you know if it's a bug and if it's possible to fix it?

I see that in 480i the maximum video resolution that is rendered without resizing is 640x480. So I want to test if with the 50Hz mode, it can render 720x576 videos without lowering the resolution to 480i.

Kirä69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I see that you’ve been pushing commits with really interesting updates to github. I’m really interested to test the 576i bugfix.

@SuperrSonic Could you upload an updated build?

Or if you could tell me what I need to compile it myself I could try it. Thanks!

Last edited by Kirä69,

iamatmylimit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Love this app btw. Been using wiimc for years and you're build is even better. I thought i was one of the only people out there who still watches movies on thier wii using this. Glad its still being worked on.

Kirä69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was able to build it last week. Now interlaced output works as intended in 50Hz. Thanks @SuperrSonic.

Would it be possible to add an option to play the videos without adjusting the resolution (a pixel perfect mode of sorts)?

For example, on a PAL CRT where the maximum resolution is 720x576, if the video is lower than this resolution (640x480 for example), simply centre it on screen and do not rescale it.

This would be very helpful.

OldGnashburg

Cobra Chicken Summoner
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there a reason this isn't recognizing the NTFS partition on my HDD, WiiMC and WiiMC Plus and all other apps recognize my FAT32 partition as USB1, and my NTFS as USB2.

It recognized USB - WII FAT32 (my FAT32 partition) as USB1
But my NTFS partition is listed as USB Mass Storage (2) and when I try to open it gives me an error and says Error opening usb2:/

Edit: I deleted WiiMC and WiiMC Plus and now whenever I open Online Media it just says Error loading Playlist.

Last edited by OldGnashburg,

HandsomeJack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've just tried the 3.0.0 release of this and it does seem to be more performant than previously, which is really really good. It's also good to now have a worked example of what to do with onlinemedia.xml and how that works with streamlink.

I have a PAL TV and use it in 576p on a Wii U. It will play 576p videos, however, with some it's still the case that I need to overclock the player to avoid some frames dropping. That said, with overclocking it's hardly ever dropping frames.

TheThief

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi WiiMC-SS is having some issue with Subtitles. In the Original version I use .srt files for subtitles. Those same subtitles display in a tiny unreadable font. Changing the size does not fix the issue. Thoughts?

Also I opened the meta file and found:

</long_description>
<arguments>
<arg>theme="random"</arg>
<!-- <arg>ios=202</arg> -->
<!-- <arg>32khz=1</arg> -->
<!-- <arg>dumbRestorePoints=0</arg> -->
<!-- <arg>3ds=1</arg> -->
</arguments>

I attempted to change the Theme to Blue, changed it to:

</long_description>
<arguments>
<arg>theme="blue"</arg>
</arguments>

When I opened the app it was still dark grey, I see it says random but the app has only ever opened in that color.

Also tried this:

</long_description>
<arguments>
<arg>theme="random"</arg>
<!-- <arg>theme=blue</arg> -->

</arguments>

That didnt work either. Used Windows Notepad for the edits and also Notepad++

Thanks.

Last edited by TheThief,

HandsomeJack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Something I've noticed.

I use 'Very Fast 576p25' in Handbrake to downscale 1080p video to 576p, however, I often need to overclock it anyway on my Wii U to avoid frame dropping. That said, I've also noticed there's better results when downscaling x265 compared to H.264.

MeXen

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Never could actually got this app to run videos without constant stuttering or buffering, let alone random DSi crashing.

What the hell happened with half of the emulation scene anyways on this platform?

Also while SS allows 240p, sucks they remove image loading, converting sprite screenshots into uncompressed image to video its not a good workaround, specially with how bilinear filter is handle there and over scanning manually XP.

HandsomeJack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Never could actually got this app to run videos without constant stuttering or buffering, let alone random DSi crashing.

What the hell happened with half of the emulation scene anyways on this platform?

Also while SS allows 240p, sucks they remove image loading, converting sprite screenshots into uncompressed image to video its not a good workaround, specially with how bilinear filter is handle there and over scanning manually XP.
Videos need to be downscaled and use an MKV container for optimal results.

That said, I've found with 576p video I need to overclock my WiiU to stop it dropping frames. The reasons I use it are the interface (which I love), it lets me use the SD card and 576p looks fine on the 21 inch TV I have my WiiU connected to.

muniryka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria

hey Superrsonic, can you add Wii U Gamepad support to Sonic 2 CX ? the game displays fine in it but i can't control it using the Gamepad

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.