Hardware Wiikey drive not reading anything (even legits)

Kirby102

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sorry if I haven't searched before, but I am in great crisis that annoys me deeply...
wacko.gif

My PAL Wiikey drive suddenly stops reading anything... even legit Wii games... (ie Wii Sports)
It was 100% working before, I could even play SSBB on it... (and finished it too), but soon after that, the errors came to... I burnt many copies of Brawl... and it still has the same problem... but now it just doesn't read anything
unsure.gif

Please help... sorry for being noob
unsure.gif

Thanks guys
grog.gif

Puxel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what legitimate games have you tried so far? Are the discs clean enough? Have you reopened it lately? Have you tried re-flashing/recovering it with the wiikey updates?

shadowboy

:D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've got the same problem -but-
I have an american wii with wiikey 1.9g.
Everything has worked till yesterday, when ssbb(5gig rip) started getting errors. Tried No More Heroes and it got errors too. Then the wii stopped recognising pirated discs. Now I tried my legit Zelda, Wii Sports, Sonic, DBZ, and wiiplay, but they all work for a few menus before erroring. Now they don't recognise either.

Is it my wiikey or my lazer that is dead? Should I try to fix it myself? Can I open up the wii without a tritip screwdriver?

Rykin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like the solder connections on the chip might have come loose. Sometimes when installing a chip, the Wii drive won't read discs because there is a loose connection. You may have to open your system and check.

Kirby102

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Puxel said:
what legitimate games have you tried so far? Are the discs clean enough? Have you reopened it lately? Have you tried re-flashing/recovering it with the wiikey updates?Only Wii Sports, as that is the only legit Wii game I have currently, cause I lent my other games to my friend and yeah... I have opened my Wii several times and I have two drives, one modded and another unmodded. I replaced it with the unmodded drive and Wii Sports works flawlessly. So if Wii Sports didn't work on the modded drive, then nothing works... not that I think the WiiKey updates would either...
frown.gif

Rykin said:
It sounds like the solder connections on the chip might have come loose. Sometimes when installing a chip, the Wii drive won't read discs because there is a loose connection. You may have to open your system and check.I forgot to mention that my modded drive was professionally pre-modded... So I am unsure of any of this.

QUOTE(hakdizzle @ Mar 25 2008, 02:07 PM)
sounds like smash might have the damaged your laser. When the wii is trying to read does it make any funny noises like a grinding noise or somethin
Not that I know of... some problems include not turning off the Wii properly, as in the DVD drive is still spinning the DVD inside it... even though the Wii is off...
frown.gif

Thanks for the suggestions.
biggrin.gif

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could be that the wiikey has lost it's configuration data, this would also stop originals working.

To test this theory make a gcos 1.3 config disc, if you see the GC logo in the disc channel with the config disc in then you know the chip is working but the configuration data has been corrupted.

If this seems to be the case, it's possible to hex-edit a gcos or original config disc to work by using a swap method and rewrite the config data. I'll explain how to, if this applies to you problems.

Kirby102

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
rasputin said:
It could be that the wiikey has lost it's configuration data, this would also stop originals working.

To test this theory make a gcos 1.3 config disc, if you see the GC logo in the disc channel with the config disc in then you know the chip is working but the configuration data has been corrupted.

If this seems to be the case, it's possible to hex-edit a gcos or original config disc to work by using a swap method and rewrite the config data. I'll explain how to, if this applies to you problems.

I have tested this and unfortunately... no avail
frown.gif

PigVenus

Trophies
XP
Country
You might be able to open the wii without a trihex screwdrive using the bic pen method that was used for gamecubes.

I with everyone else on this - recheck the connections via a multimeter.

Wanderer509

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hello, i have a NTSC-J wii with wiikey installed on it. after i updated wiikey to 1.9s, things started happening, it wouldnt read discs for lke a day, n then i f i try it 30 times or soemthing it will come to again. last time i had to reinstall 1.9s and use config disc again. but this time around, it wont read teh 1.9s update, so i am going to try config disc...

my question is has 1.9s caused any reading problem for anyone? itwas really sporadic... last night iwas tryign trauma center before i sleep, n come morning wii doenst work =o=

EDIT:

some more info:

when i put in config disc, it gives me disc cannot be read error (the little question mark thing) and the drives beeps differently than when i put in an iso. in the iso's case, the drive just keeps doign its thing n then gives me a black screen telling me error.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pissing in a pee bottle