Wiiflow plays Wii Game but TV is black

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by nbchick, Mar 24, 2015.

1. nbchick
    OP

nbchick Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2015
    Canada
    Hey, I'm hoping somebody here has an idea how I can fix this.
    I believe it's the TV but this is what's happening. We have 2 Wii U's both running Wiiflow in VWii. Both have the same Wii backups on their HDDs. On the livingroom TV, which is the ones my kids use, there seems to be 2 specific games that TV won't display. Those same games work fine on the TV in this room. I even tried bringing that Wii U in here and trying it on this TV, the games work fine. I tried putting the HDD from in here on the Wii U out there, won't display the games. The game does appear to work, it's showing on the game pad. I did try going between cIOS 249-251 but that didn't work, changed it back to auto. So I believe it's the TV. That same TV plays other Wii backups from the HDD fine. The games are iCarly and iCarly 2 Join the Click, if that helps.
    The TV is a 32" LCD Toshiba, about 8 or 9 years old. Everything seems to work fine except these 2 games, it displays the Wiiflow logo, then the progression loading bar, then nothing when you launch these games.
    Anybody have any idea what setting I need to change somewhere to get these to show on the TV?

2. CosmoCortney

CosmoCortney The Hacker Furry

Apr 18, 2013
    Germany
    on the cool side of the pillow
    What video output settings (PAL, PAL60, NTSC, system default, disk default) are set up for these games?

3. nbchick
    OP

nbchick Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2015
    Canada
  4. Mr. Mysterio

Mr. Mysterio Super Genius

Sep 16, 2014
    United States
    Rosalina's Comet Observatory
    Yes, this is very likely not a cIOS issue. Most likely, there is something wrong with the video settings built in to the games. I encountered this once for my 1982 Sony CRT TV. Chicken Riot only works on my Sharp TV. Try these settings for your games:

Video Mode = NTSC
    Patch Video Modes = All
    Aspect ratio = (Try 4:3 and 16:9)
    Vipatch = On

Those are the settings that control the video output. If this doesn't work, try playing with all four of those settings. It can't hurt anything.

PS: For a definitive cIOS test, try playing the real disc for the game (if you have it).

5. nbchick
    OP

nbchick Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2015
    Canada
    Update:
    Patch Video Modes = All it will show on the TV but cut off. Changing aspect ratios doesn't fix it, nor does changing to NTSC, Progressive, etc. Oh well, it seems to be playable like this so my kids will have to deal :)

6. jammybudga777

jammybudga777 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 23, 2013
    in wiiflow try turning the video mode setting to "console" see if that works

7. nbchick
    OP

nbchick Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2015
    Canada
    Still cut off at the bottom. I assume console = system?

8. jammybudga777

Aug 23, 2013
    yea ment to say system. um what do you mean cut of? could u send a pic. not sayin i have an answer but just makes it abit easier to see if ive had the same/simular problems

9. nbchick
    OP

nbchick Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2015
    Canada
    Pictures:
    The way the safety screen looks:
    [​IMG]

The way the game menu looks:
    [​IMG]

The way it SHOULD look:
    [​IMG]

And the home button menu:
    [​IMG]

10. jammybudga777

Aug 23, 2013
  11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    If you have a flat screen TV, chances are that it's scaling the Wii signal up to HD. Check the Zoom or Fill options on your TV, whatever they may be. One of the telly's I'm using now tends to cut off some of the picture unless zoom is set just right, keep this in mind.

EDIT: Your photos confirm my suspicion, fiddle around with the telly's settings, the Wii is playing the game as it should.

EDIT #2: From Toshiba's website:

jammybudga777 likes this.
  12. nbchick
    OP

nbchick Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2015
    Canada
    Played with the tv settings including turning the auto aspect off, no luck

13. Mr. Mysterio

Mr. Mysterio Super Genius

Sep 16, 2014
    United States
    Rosalina's Comet Observatory
    What happens if you skip running the aspect-ratio-change app?

14. nbchick
    OP

nbchick Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2015
    Canada
    I don't use that app, I go in via channel forwarders so that auto fixes the aspect ratio. But I can try going in through the original HBC and see what happens. I'll report back shortly

15. yahoo

yahoo G͝B͢A͜t͞em҉p̡ R̨e͢g̷ul̨aŗ

Aug 4, 2014
    United States
    Obviously, you should switch the TV's :P

Margen67 likes this.
  16. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Not all of us use $20s to wipe our noses lol

17. yahoo

yahoo G͝B͢A͜t͞em҉p̡ R̨e͢g̷ul̨aŗ

Aug 4, 2014
    United States
    Well, he already has a TV that doesn't have this issue, just not in the room that the kids play Wii U on... so swap them. Problem "solved" lol.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  18. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Didn't realize he already had another television, I thought you were recommending he go out and buy himself another TV :rofl: I now see where you are coming from