Hacking WiiFlow Lite

Tetsuo Shima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@fledge68 I can confirm it's working wonderfully. I've just noticed that if you press the quick source button and go to another tier, if you don't make any choice and press B, you don't go back a tier, but return back (e.g. you're in the snes coverflow and click on the Homebrew button, then you return to the console tier). Maybe it was deliberate, i don't know. However it's a minimal issue :)

@Wiimpathy I tried with the latest dev scummvm plugin, and after a loong wait to get into the game (about 7-8 minutes) I got the same error.
I don't own the english version to try, but I wonder if that works.

Last edited by Tetsuo Shima,

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm it's working wonderfully. I've just noticed that if you press the quick source button and go to another tier, if you don't make any choice and press B, you don't go back a tier, but return back (e.g. you're in the snes coverflow and click on the Homebrew button, then you return to the console tier). Maybe it was deliberate, i don't know. However it's a minimal issue :)
good to know. as for the issue. i looked at the code over and over and over again. i can't figure out how your minimal issue could have ever happened. but i was thinking that if someone does use a quick source button we should probably automatically set sourceflow back to the base tier.

Reactions: Tetsuo Shima

Chris2055

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a weird problem with WiiFlow Lite and I'm not sure if its the way I have it setup, the hard drive I'm using, or something else.

I have installed everything to the USB HDD including my emulators, roms, and WiiFlow itself. I know this deviates from what people usually do with the HDD + SD combination, but I configured the paths and everything seems to be working. However, after probably 15-30 minutes of browsing the cover art under the NES section, eventually the artwork just displays the default loading artwork which indicates to me that the drive has stopped being read. If I try to return to the source menu using the B button or run a game, the Wii freezes and I have to perform a hard reset from the power button on the Wii.

It almost seems as if the drive is going to sleep. I have a WD MyPassport 2TB and I downloaded WD Drive Utilities and disabled the sleep timer, but it doesn't seem to have helped at all. Any ideas what the problem might be?

sdoc96

Creaky Old Stiff Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So I have a weird problem with WiiFlow Lite and I'm not sure if its the way I have it setup, the hard drive I'm using, or something else.

I have installed everything to the USB HDD including my emulators, roms, and WiiFlow itself. I know this deviates from what people usually do with the HDD + SD combination, but I configured the paths and everything seems to be working. However, after probably 15-30 minutes of browsing the cover art under the NES section, eventually the artwork just displays the default loading artwork which indicates to me that the drive has stopped being read. If I try to return to the source menu using the B button or run a game, the Wii freezes and I have to perform a hard reset from the power button on the Wii.

It almost seems as if the drive is going to sleep. I have a WD MyPassport 2TB and I downloaded WD Drive Utilities and disabled the sleep timer, but it doesn't seem to have helped at all. Any ideas what the problem might be?
I'd start by checking SMART for the drive. I use 2 of the same drives (the old and newer gens) on two of my Wii's and it works fine over long periods.

Chris2055

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd start by checking SMART for the drive. I use 2 of the same drives (the old and newer gens) on two of my Wii's and it works fine over long periods.
Smart status is good under CrystalDiskInfo, here's some screens of SMART and APM Control

GjqAHPK.png

cb61vNj.png

Last edited by Chris2055,

Wiimpathy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes you're right. I tried the latest dev build for debian and the game gave the same error. Strange, I swear that it was working before on my pc
One possible cause is a file missing or corrupted. I had this type of error once because of this.
If it's really an issue with the sci engine, maybe it should be reported to their bugtracker.

Tetsuo Shima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
One possible cause is a file missing or corrupted. I had this type of error once because of this.
If it's really an issue with the sci engine, maybe it should be reported to their bugtracker.
I tried again on my pc with Scummvm 2.0.0-1 stable (the release I was using before) and the game is working.
However there are some warnings that this is an unknown version of the game

Wiimpathy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know if an official italian GK2 exist but I don't see any trace in the detection table. ScummVM has also a strict policy regarding fan made or 'backup' and modified game. They removed this version for example : https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/...a386b84#diff-9c8c51da4deb5faf6a1a7f5be9a2a86a
Could that affect your game?

You can compare your md5 if you want : https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/blob/master/engines/sci/detection_tables.h#L859
In case you don't know here's how to do : https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Reporting_unknown_MD5_checksums

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@fledge68 I'm also running into a weird Nintendont issue.

Each time I load in a new WiiFlow Lite boot.dol to test my GameCube's don't want to load at first, but I can get it working.

My general settings for GameCube's on page 3 are set to Nintendont. But each time I put in a different boot.dol I get a blank screen when trying to load any GameCube's.

I can fix this by going to any GameCube games separate settings and change it from DEFAULT to Nintendont. Once I do this the game loads and subsequent titles no matter what they are and leaving them at DEFAULT also seem to load whether it's a soft boot back to the Wii menu or I shut the system down and restart everything. No matter what they seem to load after that.

Now it could be me (that's what the wife says at least, lol), I am using a WD 10TB HD formatted to FAT32 256K at the moment. But it just seems weird that the global settings set to Nintendont don't do the trick unless I set an individual game to Nintendont first, then the rest work after that? I should also mention these games load with Nintendont just fine in USBLoaderGX and CGF USB Loader.

Any thoughts??

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@fledge68 I just noticed when I DL off your signature WiiFlow v5.3.0beta6 that when I press the home button it says 5.3.0 beta 5.

Is this just a typo in beta6 or is it really still just beta5?
yes its beta 6. i didn't update it in the code.

@fledge68 I'm also running into a weird Nintendont issue.

Each time I load in a new WiiFlow Lite boot.dol to test my GameCube's don't want to load at first, but I can get it working.

My general settings for GameCube's on page 3 are set to Nintendont. But each time I put in a different boot.dol I get a blank screen when trying to load any GameCube's.

I can fix this by going to any GameCube games separate settings and change it from DEFAULT to Nintendont. Once I do this the game loads and subsequent titles no matter what they are and leaving them at DEFAULT also seem to load whether it's a soft boot back to the Wii menu or I shut the system down and restart everything. No matter what they seem to load after that.

Now it could be me (that's what the wife says at least, lol), I am using a WD 10TB HD formatted to FAT32 256K at the moment. But it just seems weird that the global settings set to Nintendont don't do the trick unless I set an individual game to Nintendont first, then the rest work after that? I should also mention these games load with Nintendont just fine in USBLoaderGX and CGF USB Loader.

Any thoughts??
this is very strange. so you are saying every time you test a new boot dol your gamecube games won't boot until you choose a game and in its settings set the loader from default to nintendont. this fixes it to boot and every game after that? but changing the global setting on page 3 doesn't do anything?
what's weird is that just changing the boot dol should not alter wiiflow_lite.ini or gameconfig2.ini in any way.

i'm wondering if your gameconfig2.ini is corrupted. maybe you should do a scandisk on your SD or USB (whichever you use for wfl 5).

bcoleman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m having issues trying to play Excite Truck. I’m on Wii U, vWii using WiiFlow Lite with SD card loading. All my games work except this one. Usually when a game doesn’t work, you get a black screen, the Wii remote disconnects and the only way to reset the system is to unplug it. With Excite Truck, I actually get the loading bar which fills up all the way before the typical black screen, disconnection and unplug happens. All my games work fine from auto except this. I’ve tried 249, 250 and 251...same thing happens each time. I’ve Googled the problem and saw the same issues dating as far back to 2012 to as recent as 2017 but haven’t found the solution. Anyone know the problem?

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes its beta 6. i didn't update it in the code.

this is very strange. so you are saying every time you test a new boot dol your gamecube games won't boot until you choose a game and in its settings set the loader from default to nintendont. this fixes it to boot and every game after that? but changing the global setting on page 3 doesn't do anything?
what's weird is that just changing the boot dol should not alter wiiflow_lite.ini or gameconfig2.ini in any way.

i'm wondering if your gameconfig2.ini is corrupted. maybe you should do a scandisk on your SD or USB (whichever you use for wfl 5).

Yes I will scan things just in case. I also realize I didn't give you complete information earlier, all my apps are on a 256GB SDXC FAT32 32k and all my Wii (1,849 titles scrubbed) & GameCube (717 titles full ISO) games are on the WD 10TB MyBook FAT32 256k all as one single partition & all usable.

Yes, global setting set to Nintendont from the start then for me going to play a GameCube was hanging on a black screen. Almost like it wasn't accessing Nintendont, waited several minutes then had to do a hard shut down each time. Then starting things up again and double checking to make sure the global setting for Nintendont was still set, it was, I'd go into what seems to be any GameCube game and change it from default to Nintendont just for that game and waalllla every game played after that whether soft restart or full shutdown seemed to work as normal. Checking the random games as I went to play them did show they were set to default and that where I left them, as default. The only time I've run into this before was with USBLoaderGX, but that was my fault because it was set to use Dios Mios and locked things up on a black screen. Seeing my error and changing that GX setting to Nintendont fixed it, never an issue after.

I'm only replacing the meta (with renamed version # set inside) & boot.dol when I was switching from 5.2.0 to 5.3.0beta5 to 5.3.0beta6. The rest of the files in sd:/apps/wiiflow and sd://wiiflow remained the same. I've been switching from a few sd cards with different versions trying to get things dialed in so maybe I did mix something up at some point. It was just weird, on one card it was working and the next it wasn't.

I'll play around with things a bit over the next week and see if either my working set has issues or if I can get the issue to repeat again using a few sd cards as testers from the 5.2.0, 5.3.0b5 & 5.3.0b6. My setup is a little unusual so who knows. If it keeps working for me and if I can't get it to do it again does it really matter. I'm mentioning it now really just in case something else comes up and this would turn out to be helpful.

Reactions: fledge68

bcoleman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Fledge

I don't think Excite Truck works with WiiFlow Lite. I found quite a few threads referring to problems from 2012 trying to run it through WiiFlow from an SD card and it looks like some people solved the issue through a WiiFlow mod. But I don't think WiiFlow Lite carried that over making this game unplayable.

I should mention I've tried multiple dumps all with the identical issue so it's definitely the game. Here's a thread that mentions some of the solutions people used but I don't know if they'd still be relevant nowadays.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiflow-excite-truck-problem.324302/

I hope you can get this game working with it since WiiFlow is my loader of choice. Make sure to check for similar threads under the reply box in the link I posted. Might help you understand the issue more.

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Fledge

I don't think Excite Truck works with WiiFlow Lite. I found quite a few threads referring to problems from 2012 trying to run it through WiiFlow from an SD card and it looks like some people solved the issue through a WiiFlow mod. But I don't think WiiFlow Lite carried that over making this game unplayable.

I should mention I've tried multiple dumps all with the identical issue so it's definitely the game. Here's a thread that mentions some of the solutions people used but I don't know if they'd still be relevant nowadays.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiflow-excite-truck-problem.324302/

I hope you can get this game working with it since WiiFlow is my loader of choice. Make sure to check for similar threads under the reply box in the link I posted. Might help you understand the issue more.
that wiiflow mod is wiiflow 4 which wiiflow 5 or lite is a continuation of.
anyway, you can try forcing wiiflow to use cIOS instead of IOS58.

go into main settings>startup settings and set force cios to on or yes and when it says rebooting press 'b' or 'a' to reboot wiiflow.
now wiiflow will be running with cios all the time.

this may fix your issue.
i also have that game and if/when i have time will move it to SD and try booting it myself.

bcoleman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that wiiflow mod is wiiflow 4 which wiiflow 5 or lite is a continuation of.
anyway, you can try forcing wiiflow to use cIOS instead of IOS58.

go into main settings>startup settings and set force cios to on or yes and when it says rebooting press 'b' or 'a' to reboot wiiflow.
now wiiflow will be running with cios all the time.

this may fix your issue.
i also have that game and if/when i have time will move it to SD and try booting it myself.

Went into my settings and it looks like Force cIOS is already on by default. The force cIOS revision is set to "auto" but has other options of 249, 250 and 251. Doubt specifying would change anything since I tried booting the game with each one specifically from the game's individual menu.

I appreciate you investigating it, I know people have posted about this in the past and I don't know if there was ever a comprehensive solution. Another theory was that it had something to do with loading MP3's in the game from the SD card. Worth a note.

If it helps, I've posted information on a separate thread I made on this topic. I did a syscheck and pasted my results.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/excite-truck-issues.539468/

Last edited by bcoleman,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1