Wii #XXXX - Metroid: Other M (USA)

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Going to have to join in the requests for in-game help. Check spoilers because that's what they are! (Section 1 info)

After fighting the lizard that jumps on you and gets stabby in your face with the tail, you're presented with a forced first person investigative part where it's the 4 galactic federation solders looking over the mangled corpse of their ally. I cannot for the life of me find what it wants me to view and after a few minutes it actually makes me sick to continue looking around. This is the first game that has ever done this to me!

Teep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updated my cIOS to rev20 base 57 on slot 249, getting the same error. I assume I just burned a bad DVD?

Panaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AshuraZro said:
Going to have to join in the requests for in-game help. Check spoilers because that's what they are! (Section 1 info)

After fighting the lizard that jumps on you and gets stabby in your face with the tail, you're presented with a forced first person investigative part where it's the 4 galactic federation solders looking over the mangled corpse of their ally. I cannot for the life of me find what it wants me to view and after a few minutes it actually makes me sick to continue looking around. This is the first game that has ever done this to me!

Turn around and look at the green slime leading to the vehicle.

heat6jones

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Giga_Gaia said:
Does the game work if you just burn it normally and boot it with the dvd drive (With a wiikey)?

PS: Heat6Jones, why aren't you on irc anymore?

man i see you everywhere online... i go on irc but only irchighway #lurk, i don't really watch anime much anymore.

the controls in this game are driving me nuts. first person shooter mode you can't move which is a headache in boss fights.

Any tips on killing the snakes?

EDIT: nevermind these things are so easy to beat, you just have to use the charge attack after dodge by hitting 1 then letting the bar fill up before releasing.

Teep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could anyone help me with these Disc ID errors? I'm pretty sure I burned it properly, right speed, right layer break and a DVD+R.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
HTML File Sharing sites caused some parts to be corrupted. Redownloaded the corrupted parts and it sill doesn't extract correctly. Back to good old torrents. It'll be a while before I get the game.

Teep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A thought just crossed my mind - is it possible that I'm getting Disc ID errors because it's a NTSC game, and my Wii is PAL? Would that error appear in that case? Do I just use RegionFrii to fix it?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got Priiloader with the region fix.

Panaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sounds like a possibility but I know nothing about loading physical dvd backups of wii games. I've always only used usbloaders. Good luck though.

Teep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another possibility.... The version I got says already scrubbed... I deleted the update partition and re-scrubbed it... Could that have screwed it up?

That is, should I have first unscrubbed it, then re-scrub while deleting the update partition?

I'm currently burning another DVD, will see how that works. I changed my cIOSX to 56 base, slot 249, rev20.

Myke

so tasty!
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
heat6jones said:
Giga_Gaia said:
Does the game work if you just burn it normally and boot it with the dvd drive (With a wiikey)?

PS: Heat6Jones, why aren't you on irc anymore?

man i see you everywhere online... i go on irc but only irchighway #lurk, i don't really watch anime much anymore.

the controls in this game are driving me nuts. first person shooter mode you can't move which is a headache in boss fights.

Any tips on killing the snakes?

EDIT: nevermind these things are so easy to beat, you just have to use the charge attack after dodge by hitting 1 then letting the bar fill up before releasing.

To kill the snakes you gotta shoot them in the mouth with a few missiles first. That's when they are in the walls poking their faces out. Once you have shot them with the missiles, they will come out in the open where you can freely shoot it down however you want. You will have to do a melee finish to kill it completely I think. That's what I did at least

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AshuraZro said:
Panaru said:
Turn around and look at the green slime leading to the vehicle.
Thanks, now I can finally move on. I hate those segments so much.

Unfortunately there's quite a few of them. I'm probably near the end of the game (it feels like it's wrapping up) and I encountered a few of those.

Now that I've played this much, I can safely say this is the worst Metroid game outside of Hunters. Here's the rundown:

- Coming from Team Ninja and their fancy-pants combat in Ninja Gaiden the combat here feels incredibly stale and repetitive. Simply mash the D-Pad around and hold/press fire. Outside of boss battles regular combat is really, really generic. Fancy looking but nothing else. I mean I don't expect Metroid to have a combat system outside of "shoot" but I mean c'mon, if you're gonna put so much emphasis on this fancy combat, at least make it more varied.
- For a game that emphasizes on plot it really seems to have a crappy storyline. I mean it seriously feels like a big Metal Gear Solid 2 rip off with less gameplay, less cutscenes, and no batshit crazy plot twists that kept you involved. Also no scene where you have to evade guards while nude. I wouldn't mind that with Samus
smileipb2.png

- I mean it's still fairly Metroid in terms of exploration though and that's probably what it has going the most for it. There's a lot of stuff to backtrack for in terms of missile/tank/charge upgrades.
- Am I the only one who thinks it's incredibly stupid that you have the weapons all along but you need fucking Adam's permission to use them? I'm sorry, if I'm getting fried in a fucking lava pit I don't think Adam will care if I put on the Varia upgrade. It's not like it can hurt anyway either. I mean in the end it's just a substitute for finding the stuff in like Metroid Prime and Super Metroid and whatever but it feels like a weak presentation hole.
- For being, what, the first Metroid game to have major amounts of dialogue, you'd think they'd get better voice actors? I mean the voices sound good but the delivery is bland and lifeless.
- The cutscenes aren't delivered all too well. It's just like "WOAH RANDOM IRRELEVANT FLASHBACK THAT REALLY DOESN'T HAVE A WHOLE LOT TO DO WITH THE STORY" and Samus always talks to HER FUCKING SELF. Seriously, at least talk to Adam or something, I hate how she's constantly narrating.
- Controls, controls, controls. I mean I don't know what they were thinking when they went with using the Wiimote alone. I mean there's absolutely no reason to not use Wiimote/Nunchuck. Analog sticks make for better navigation in the 3D world, you don't have to constantly flop the Wiimote around to aim at the screen for first person mode, and anything that was unique to the single Wiimote mode can be mapped to a button (such as Concentration and first person mode). The controls aren't broken but it pisses you off inside when you, an average dude with no experience in making games, knows that he could make a better control scheme for the game than the vets.

Odds are I'll play it to the end but I won't say it was a great game. Full review will be coming sometime soon.

EDIT: Here's my "what should have been the control scheme" control scheme:

A = Jump
B = Fire/Bomb (for Morph Ball)
Down D-Pad = Dodge (c'mon, a dodge button would've been so much better)
Z = First Person Mode
C = Concentration/Lock-on (for First Person Mode)
Shake Wiimote = Morph Ball
+/- = Menu

Teep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Burned a second copy, still same error. It doesn't even try to load it. I begin to think that my blank DVD's are just not supported. I'm trying to burn on a Verbatim -R DL just to see if it will recognize the game at all.

So far this has been a disaster lol... If I only were to get to the intro cutscene at least.

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MENTALDOMINANCE said:
I can't believe how bad this game sucks.
You'd think if they were gonna use 2D control (which I prefer, fuck
FPS) they would at least make it normal as in RIGHT/LEFT JUMP.
Not this bastardized up/down/right/left control and edits so jumpy
and quick where you have to flip screen modes that you can't tell
what's going on.

Also, someone mentioned the CGI being great.
Who gives a fuck? It has nothing to do with the game play.
It seems the whole game is just a big pre-rendered animation!
The fucker could have fit on a normal non-dual layer DVD if they
hadn't bloated it out with pointless story/animation.
Soon there will be a proper DVD-5 rip and guess what?
The game will still play the same cuz the actual game is probably no
bigger than a gig or 2! If you're gonna fill our a dual layer dvd, at
least do it with the game and not cartoons!
And no, I would not mind the cartoons if the game was any good!
The beginning was terrible, you have to wait through all this
bullshit - can't abort the fucking cartoons...
This is not what the original was like. You need to be able to pick
the game up and play. Not "emerse yourself in bullshit pre-rendered
CGI." Yuck.
Somebody seems angry.

I, for one, think it controls just fine. Takes a bit of getting used to, but after fifteen minutes it felt natural to me.

QUOTE(SoulSnatcher @ Aug 27 2010, 02:14 PM) You don't convert .iso's to "wbfs".
WBFS is a file system. You format the HDD with WBFS using WBFS for MacOS X 1.2.
You then move the .iso to the formatted HDD.
Unless you're using Hermes' CIOS and your HDD is formatted to FAT32. Then the best course of action is to convert a .iso to a .wbfs. You know, like you said can't be done.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @rqkaiju2, Physical media is a great source for archiving your data, none of that cloud storage shiz.
    +1
    [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box]... +1