Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
How would I clean the lens?

Also bought a sandisk 2gb regular SD card today and it didn't work (locked up on em also) so I may just end up taking it apart after all and trying to fix it w/o replacing the drive or just replace the lens itself.

ZeroMidget

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's what I was thinking too Fix94. Atleast with this SD card I can move the wimote a few moments before it freezes, whereas before the freeze was instant. Deadly, I'll PM you and see about your rates and such. I already have 1 wii, I was going to fix this one for my girlfriend if it wasn't too much trouble.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i believe bannerbomb only works on 3.2 and up. i tried on 3.1 and it failed just like this one is. my aunt's wii was on 3.1 when i hacked it the first time.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use the Nintendo Wii lens cleaner to clean the lens. I got one a gamesstop for $10

official-nintendo-wii-lens-cleaning-kit-23275895.jpeg

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
VashTS said:
i believe bannerbomb only works on 3.2 and up. i tried on 3.1 and it failed just like this one is. my aunt's wii was on 3.1 when i hacked it the first time.
3.0 and up. Anyway, ZeroMidget, if you do fix your drive just load any game with 3.0 - 4.1 update on it, run BannerBomb, install HBC, set up USB loader, profit.

Santee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that he can update to 3.2 if I remember 2 years ago when I hacked me wii there was a homebrew app that let you pick what update you wanted to download and install.
Edit:I'm pretty sure waninkoko made it
Edit2: Ignore all that I forgot he can't run homebrew.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ZeroMidget said:
As soon as you put a disk in and it recognizes it, the wii locks down and errors.
ZeroMidget said:
ADDITION: I put a gamecube game in it tonight. It works and plays just fine. Leads me to believe it may not be a hardware issue after all....
Your first description of your disc problem led me to believe it might be a software issue, but I've never actually worked with a Wii with a broken drive. This only further supports that it's the software. Here's what I would do if I were you:

1. Try bannerbomb again. I am almost certain that it should work on 2.2, assuming the SD card is not a problem. Try all 11 versions and see if any of them work. Your SD card might be the problem if it still does not work. Make sure it is not SDHC. If you haven't already, format it with SDFormatter. Make sure you change the settings so that it is a full format. If it still doesn't work, I have had success in making SD cards work by formatting them with the formatting software on my OS when SDFormatter did not fix the problem. Also, are you able to save savegames or WiiWare/VC games to your SD card from your Wii?

2. If you still cannot get bannerbomb to work, try cleaning the lens and see if that allows you to run discs.

3. If cleaning the lens doesn't help, you still cannot get bannerbomb to work, you are willing to risk not being able to softmod the Wii, and you have access to one of the games listed below, upgrade to 4.3 via the internet. It should fix your software issues if they are indeed why you cannot play discs. Obviously, I cannot guarantee software is your problem.

- Super Smash Brothers Brawl, US/Japanese Wii's ONLY.
- Lego Indiana Jones, US/Europe Wii's ONLY.
- Yu-Gi-OH 5D's Wheelie Breakers, All Wii's.
- LEGO Batman, All Wii's.

If you update to 4.3 and find you can run discs again, use one of the above games to softmod your Wii.

QUOTE(IchigoSJ @ Jan 31 2011, 08:45 PM)
I'm pretty sure that he can update to 3.2 if I remember 2 years ago when I hacked me wii there was a homebrew app that let you pick what update you wanted to download and install.
Getting the Homebrew Channel installed is the problem.

ZeroMidget

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Updated to 4.3 and it still won't read disks... will get cleaning kit tomorrow and try that. Short of that I guess I'll just have to get it repaired or do it myself T_T

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This probably won't do anything, but have you tried Maintenance Mode. You can get to it by holding the + and - buttons while on the health warning screen.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is very possible that your Wii games are hitting the inside case of your Wii, but the smaller GameCube discs are running fine. Taking your Wii apart and loosening it might fix your problem. Although the following YouTube video is about getting rid of a buzzing noise, it still might help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XKKLkqdZ34

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Well, at first I was thinking a software issue, but the update would have cleared that completely out of the question.

It has to be a dirty or weak laser. If you try cleaning the laser and it still won't read wii discs then you have a few options.

1. replace the laser
2. replace the dvd drive
3. Use an infectus to flash bootmii into boot2, then launch the HackMii installer from bootmii.

Do you ever plan to play games from disc again? If you're going to be doing USB loading and you don't care about discs then flashing bootmii into wboot2 is the cheapest solution. Replacing the laser or the drive can be rather expensive, at least more than what it would cost to have me use the infectus on your wii.

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
Agree with DF. This is laser, or something related to it like laser motor. Just replace it.

Or if you aren't bothered about booting discs again. Borrow the drive from that other wii you mentioned, hack the shit and swap it back

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Whoa whoa whoa you can't just update the Wii using the internet?
Go to the Wii settings and choose "System Update".
I wonder why no one suggested this yet?
Also since you mentioned your disk drive not working is NOT a hardware issue, then maybe updating will fix it.
If not, then yeah repair it yourself.
Either way, whether you update or not, the thing needs to be replaced so do as I say
wink.gif

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if he updated to 4.3 how can he hack it without the disc drive? the problem is not how to get up to date, its what is going to do to hack it.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Good luck man. Switching out the drive would have been easier then changing the laser. Luckily, if you get stuck then there are plenty of resources online and us here to be able to help you.

troy512

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ZeroMidget said:
Tried every bannerbomb v1... no dice
frown.gif
. There isn't a way to use a computer to spoof the IP of the nintendo servers and host whatever update I want the wii to have and update it that way? (IE make my router redirect nintendo's server to one of my own?

i like this idea, wonder if it work. too late now anyway LOL but still interested in knowing if it is possible.

ZeroMidget

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
Good luck man. Switching out the drive would have been easier then changing the laser. Luckily, if you get stuck then there are plenty of resources online and us here to be able to help you.
$50 vs $10
tongue.gif

Plus as stated it may just be it's too tight/somethin in the way since GC disks DO play. I'd rather invest $10 and not need it than invest $50 and not need it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok