knowitall599

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am starting a web browswer project for those who do not want to work on the launcher project. Any ideas on how to approach this would be appreciated.

This was Framework43's idea. Thanks so much!

Framework43

I'm International
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try going to #wiidev at efnet to find out if you can get some info.

Also heres some features that should be added
-More than 1 Tab at a time can be used
-Nicer Gui than the Opera one
-Add-on support
-Change Gui Color Support
tongue.gif

-Delete Cookies/Cache
-Proxy Server Support
-Mini Messinger (MSN/Yahoo/AOL/IRC)addon application
-USB Keyboard Support

But of course, your just starting so the beta wont have all those features in a while, but I'd start with the Tab one first
biggrin.gif

Framework43

I'm International
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Diffusion said:
Really needs "Copy and Paste".
tongue.gif
Thank you for reminding me!
It also could use being able to edit the link you put instead of rewriting it..so like if I wanted to see something from the same site but edit the end of it i could
tongue.gif

_CARLOX_

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Framework43 said:

-Add-on support
tongue.gif

-Delete Cookies/Cache
-Proxy Server Support
-Mini Messinger (MSN/Yahoo/AOL/IRC)addon application - Maybe you can start with this, it can be very useful with the
-USB Keyboard Support

But of course, your just starting so the beta wont have all those features in a while, but I'd start with the Tab one first
biggrin.gif

And maybe you can try to create a browser similar (not identical) to Chrome.

Just a thought.
grog.gif

Framework43

I'm International
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_CARLOX_ said:
Framework43 said:

-Add-on support
tongue.gif

-Delete Cookies/Cache
-Proxy Server Support
-Mini Messinger (MSN/Yahoo/AOL/IRC)addon application - Maybe you can start with this, it can be very useful with the
-USB Keyboard Support

biggrin.gif

And maybe you can try to create a browser similar (not identical) to Chrome.

Just a thought.
grog.gif

Im not such a Chrome fan, I perfer Mozilla Firefox which I think should look identical(in a way) to this
tongue.gif

Framework43

I'm International
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IronMask said:
So I take it you code and are capable with this? If so it sounds like an excellent idea... is there anyway possible to get an open source for the wii opera? that would probably help alot as well...

Thanks It was my Idea
biggrin.gif

Btw, Not much info on opera, but if I were to look info for it, id go to bushing

QUOTE(duhh @ Oct 20 2008, 10:53 PM) support for flash 9 please

Development is just going to start so just wait if you want that feature
sleep.gif
'

jack612

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mean to sound discouraging, but from your posts it sounds like you guys are not up to the task. Coding a browser, especially on a platform the relatively little in the way of documentation/APIs/etc, is a gigantic task and it doesn't sound like either of you have very much coding experience.

However, if you are going to do it I suggest you start by porting one of the existing open-source HTML rendering engines to the Wii. The rendering engine is by far the largest and most important part of any browser. Take a look at Webkit. It's the basis for Safari, Chrome, etc and it's open source and well documented. If you can get the ported to the Wii you are well on your way. Best of luck.

Framework43

I'm International
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if you think im the one with no coding experence,your right.It was just an idea I gave to the guy.I have nothig to do with the development.

jack612

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you guys are confusing an SDK with the source. The Flash SDK would do you no good as there is no port of Flash for the Wii. Flash is not an open-source program so unless Adobe decides to port it to the Wii or you completely reverse engineer it you can forget about Flash support.

DespizingU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised something like this hasn't been started already. And yeah, the ability to copy & paste and a tab feature would be great features.

Good luck.

deervark

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flash 9 = Hulu and a bunch of other awesome video sites. If you could just get a standalone Flash 9 player or a Hulu player or a Redtube player I think it would be more appreciated than just a browser.

HowardC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good luck to you, but I wanted to point out that some of your goals are fairly impossible.

The wii simply doesn't have enough memory to do tabbed browsing properly. I mean the wii gts out of memory errors on some complicated websites, I can only imagine when you have multiple ones open. That isn't to say it isn't technically possible, it certainly is, it's just not very useful considering you'd have to constantly close tabs to free up memory. Assuming you could find a work-around for that it would still be pretty silly to add tabbed browsing as it'd take up valuable screen space and reading webpages on the wii is hard enough as-is. If anything your goal should be to have FEWER controls on the screen.

Actually there's only three goals you should have as they'd actually make your homebrew browser more functional.

1. A newer flash plugin, as the others have stated.

2. True java support, as there are actually online nes emulators and what-not that won't run on the wii.

3. The ability to download files and download and install codecs.

Adding tabbed browsing and other such nonsense doesn't really improve fuctionality, it merely makes the browser more like a pc browser which IMHO is a step in the wrong direction in this case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: through apparently theres a wii64 version for ps3