1. Scdi

OP Scdi Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Hello,
    I have a EU console, and using FTP I changed Game_region in config file to 2 to make it US
    After restarting, I cannot do anything from the game pad. I cannot go to system settings or open the browser .
    how do I reset the console it back to my old region?

thanks

Last edited by Scdi, Feb 23, 2020
  2. TheChosen

TheChosen Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    — Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

3. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I don't know if this has something to do with it, but the gamepad is region locked. afaik, there's no way to fix this besides a hard mod.

4. TheChosen

TheChosen Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Your WiiU is a brick now. Sorry. I doubt you can repair it. Gamepad is essential. You literally told the WiiU´s processor "Hey, i´m on another region now! Only boot when this region is being used (gamepad/games)!"
    And this cpu has some of the most-advanced security out there/ever built. Preventing you from doing anything.

A WiiU can boot without a gamepad or with a damaged gamepad (it can repair the console´s OS via the gamepad)! But: Since the console itself has NO FIRMWARE in it, you cannot update it when you literally killed the console´s OS, when your gamepad doesn´t match the correct region (since the cpu will refuse to accept your boot-command ;)

5. Scdi

OP Scdi Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    What’s a hard mod?

6. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    opening up the system and reflashing the nand. should be easy to change back after that.

7. Scdi

OP Scdi Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I don’t mind completely wiping out the system and setting it back to my original game region. Can I reach out to the WIiU support team and do you think they would be able to help?

I cannot open even the browser to go to loadiine . I cannot launch home brew, I can’t even go to system setting!

Last edited by Scdi, Feb 24, 2020
  8. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    a hard mod should correct that. if you mean contacting nintendo, I thought I read that they no longer repair wii us.

alexander1970 likes this.
  9. Scdi

OP Scdi Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    yes Nintendo support.
    I haven’t installed any pirated games. All I did was that I bought a legit US region game and try to make it work. But I do not know if this is legit either

10. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    looks like they're not repairing wii systems actually, so I think you might be able to get repairs for the wii u. I'm not sure what's entailed.

11. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

United States
    It is a hard brick if you have no NAND backup.

12. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    You can make the console region free by editing system.xml, but that's not how you do it, you enable every region at once. What made you think it was a good idea to disable the original region that the firmware runs on?

13. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Did you install CBHC? If so, you might be able to cold boot into the Homebrew Launcher (if you installed that as a channel) and then go into FTP and change back what you changed. Though I think even if you do have all that it very well may not allow you to launch into Homebrew Launcher in this way all the same, I'm pretty doubtful, but it's worth a shot if you have that setup already.

14. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    you need either a nand dump from before you changed that value or the otp.bin. if you don't have either, then it's impossible to fix. I'm not even sure if nintendo can fix that. they probably wouldn't be bothered by it and send a refurbished system back to you.

15. MikaDubbz

United States
    Nintendo definitely wouldn't touch a system where the region has been changed. That'll be considered hacking and not of their concern. Sad reality is, without a backup, it likely is just a brick.

16. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    you could consider it a device error even if it was changed by the user. there's no way nintendo would know for sure of that.

17. MikaDubbz

United States
    I mean, you could plead ignorance, but I really think they'd see through it.

18. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    either way, I doubt nintendo would fix that specific system rather than just sending a refurbished unit back. the cost of that would likely be what a standalone wii u without gamepad would be, so it wouldn't be worth it. the only real bad thing is the loss of saves if they weren't backed up, but he says he doesn't care about that.

19. YOUCANTSTOPME

YOUCANTSTOPME GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Andddd once again, if you're doing any mods/hacks, make sure you have a NAND backup at the first opportunity before doing anything else.

20. oji

oji GBAtemp Fan

Russia
    Pro Controller is region free, so if you have one, you can try to change your settings back by it.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - game_region, unusable, changing