1. cyberant

OP cyberant Member
    Newcomer

Israel
    I've looked at some of the threads about this and the sticky guide in the tutorials section, but I'm still deliberating over what I should use. I would still like to avoid using an external power, if it's practical enough.

I understand how annoying the WII U is with it being designed for hard drives (less or no protection against writing to the same area), putting save data in the same location as their games, and having under-powered USB ports.

I've tried using an external hard drives with a Y cable. It seemed to work at first but then I got disconnection errors during gameplay. (I disabled the hard drive sleep mode and any automatic power off in the options)

I am considering one of the following:

1) An SD card with a USB adapter - Is it as bad as using a USB flash drives? Is it likely fail early?
    2) An external SSD drive.
    3) An Internal SSD with enclosure/adapter

I cases #2 and #3, can it work with a single USB cable or even with a Y cable?

I've seen a Youtube video about connecting internal SSD with a USB adapter that doesn't use an external power: link
    There's also a video about placing the SSD internally, and it seems like it is also only powered by a single port (even though it's soldered): link

alexander1970 likes this.
  2. Misandry

Misandry Newbie
    Newcomer

Mexico
    What kind of Y cable are you using?
    I used to have the same exact problem until I switched from usb 2.0 to usb 3.0 cables.
    I still need to connect the cable to both usb ports on the back of the console, but at least now I can finally play my games without fear of losing my progress to a random HDD disconnection.

The ports on the Wii U are 2.0, but 3.0 is backwards compatible and apparently it is capable of carrying slightly more current.
    This is the cable I'm using

Attached Files:

• usb.jpg
      usb.jpg
      File size:
      21.4 KB
      Views:
  3. piete

piete Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    As you saw in the video, SSD should work without a Y cable. I have a Y cable that is really sensitive, if it is hanging in the air, it gives disconnection error with the HDD in enclosure. I tried the HDD without the Y cable and the Wii U didn't even recognize it, so I decided to try an SSD in the casing without the Y cable and so far it has worked fine, I did this a few days ago so I can't give any long-term results but so far so good...

4. JayMathis

JayMathis GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you do have problems buy another y-cable. I've had one for about 2 years now and it has never once disconnected.

piete likes this.
  5. alexander1970

alexander1970 Austrian Guy - allowed make grammatical Errors

Austria
    Hello.:)

I use this Enclosure:
    https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00OJ3UJ2S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with this SSD:
    https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07VCCZZL7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As you can see it works without Y-Cable.:)

P1360151.JPG P1360152.JPG P1360153.JPG

The only Thing please: Do NOT place the HDD ON TOP of your Wii U.:rofl2:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-wifi-suddenly-cant-connect-to-router.376888/page-2#post-8933649

Thank you.:)

piete likes this.
  6. V10lator

V10lator Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Some notes to the replies given by others:
    • There are some hard drives which will need more juice than what two Wii U USB ports can give. A Y-cable won't help here.
    • You can connect a Y-cable to the Wii U and a wall charger for extra juice (but do this for testing only, not all the time).
    • You can hardware-mod the Wii U to remove the 500mA port limit (I've done this and don't need a Y-cable anmore).
    • There's no difference between "an external SSD drive" and "an Internal SSD with enclosure/adapter". In fact external/internal SSDs don't exist: There are just SSDs.
    • SSDs need less juice than HDDs but always make sure the SSD + the SATA to USB adapter won't need more than 500mA together, else you'll need a Y-cable again.
    //EDIT:
    You're right but that dude isn't smart. He could have used the unlimited 5v rail... Look at this picture:
    [​IMG]
    The big red dot is the unlimited 5v rail. The smaller dots are the USB VCC. So if you connect all red dots your USB ports are unlimited. The big red dot is also what the guy in the video should have been used for VCC.

//EDIT²: Forgot to say that neither the idea of hardware modding the USB ports nor the image are by me. They are from https://circuit-board.de/forum/inde...D-für-Wii-U-gesucht/?postID=786122#post786122

Last edited by V10lator, Feb 24, 2020
    alexander1970 likes this.
  7. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

Pretty sure when he means internalnwith enclose henmeans a 3.5 inch drive that is powered

8. V10lator

V10lator Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    So 3.5 inch SSDs exists? Link me one please... :P [EDIT] Also this whole thread is about not needing extra power, so how did you come to your conclusion? [/EDIT]

This is going off topic, sry... But again: There's no difference between external SSD and internal SSD with enclosure. Open a "external SSD" and you'll see it's nothing more than a enclusure with a 2.5 inch ("internal") SSD inside...

Last edited by V10lator, Feb 24, 2020
  9. squee666

Real question though

Why does it have to be an ssd, you still going to have the usb bottleneck and the storage reduction

10. V10lator

V10lator Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Why don't you read the OP?
    BTW, to @cyberant
    That's a none-issue with good SDs/SSDs. Just don't buy the cheapest product on the market. For more infos:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory_controller#Flash_Translation_Layer_(FTL)_and_Mapping ("the physical location of an LBA might dynamically change frequently" ... Sorry for the bad wiki article)

11. squee666

Why dont you he only wants to avoid external power if its practical enough.

Which it is if he makes the usb rail power increase.

That still doesnt answer the question of why he wants an ssd.

Ssds actually have a higher average power draw in use than a 2.5hdd
    The initial spin up takes more though. Even then its minimal and like I said the usb bottleneck makes ssd pointless, unless he doesnt want moving parts which makes no since as it's a home console.

Heres some numbers, a samsung 860 evo is rated for 3w during use
    A 4tb seagate 2.5 is rated for 2W, 6w during spinup
    A WD ssd is rated for 2.7w average on use

A 4tb seagate external 3.5inch hdd was rated for 4.1w in 2018

The ssds just idle at a lower rate.

As soon as he unlocks the power of his usb rail which is the main cause of his problems ssd becomes pointless.

12. V10lator

V10lator Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Average power draw is meaningless. All the Wii U cares about are the peaks. Also with an SSD I would recommend enabling power saving as there is no spin-up time while on a HDD the spin-up gets annoying so I recommend disabling power-save. That will make a HDD consume more power than a SSD but it's off-topic...
    A HDD won't max out the USB bus as it can't push data while seeking. Seeking times are (almost) none existant on SSDs, so it will be faster.
    We don't know if he has the skills to do that. Now lets stop this useless discussion and wait for the thread starter to reply, okay?

//EDIT: Just one more thing: There are HDDs which consume more power on writing than on spin-up. The OP and me have such HDDs: They spin-up fine but when you do heavy writing operations the Wii U will tell you to not disconnect a USB drive while its running.

Last edited by V10lator, Feb 25, 2020
  13. squee666

Also the other point if he is going to go for all this hassle for an external (which should work without Y cables in first place in most cases but strangely doesnt work with)

If hes onlyngoing for a small storage like 256gb. Why doesnt he just go for an sd card and call it a night

14. Koldur

Koldur Virtual Boy Ambassador

Netherlands
    Do you have a link to how to do this mod? I should be able to do this easily.

15. V10lator

V10lator Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Koldur likes this.
  16. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I imagine the speed doesn't increase... but i would definitely would love to free up one USB port to connect something else :)

17. Youser

Youser GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    was hoping someone would mention the sd card.

So it’s fine to use an sd card to load games off of?

thanks

18. squee666

I mean it's been done before but it was cheaper to use a hdd and ycable

Currently it really depends on what he wants.

A 256gb micro sd and adapter is cheaper than a 256gb ssd.
    But for that price he could get a 500gb or maybe a 1tb portable drive.

Like I said before a proper Y cable or rail fix will sort his problems.

I read that thread that mentioned soldering some members mentioned they has problems with their ssds registering with console.

Blame Nintendo's bad design. My generic wii never had this issue with single port usb powered drives

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - external, adapter), Storage