Hardware WII U Storage without external power? (SSD VS sd card with adapter)

jacobsson

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Guys want to try this mod, can I have a a bit more of an explanation on why soldering the 2x 5V on rear of the board will work and won't blow up the devices I plug into it?

It's because this mod puts the two 5v-rails in parallel just like the y-cable does, this still gives you 5v but capable of twice the amps (Putting the rails in series would give you 10v, that would blow up your device).

Last edited by jacobsson,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Regarding the soldering mod, is it only for the rear USB ports? If it is, could a similar mod be done for the front ports?
Yes, it's for the rear ports only. Might I ask why you want such a mod on the front ports (before opening my Wii U and looking how it could be archived) ? ;)

lolorlofl

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, it's for the rear ports only. Might I ask why you want such a mod on the front ports (before opening my Wii U and looking how it could be archived) ? ;)
Just for peace of mind. I want to be able to plug in an external drive anywhere, especially since the vWii usually prioritizes the rear USB ports for games and homebrew.

cyberant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
What kind of Y cable are you using?
I used to have the same exact problem until I switched from usb 2.0 to usb 3.0 cables.

My Y-Cable looks like the one in the picture you attached (a Micro-B split into a USB 3.0 & a SUB 2.0).

That's a none-issue with good SDs/SSDs. Just don't buy the cheapest product on the market. For more infos:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory_controller#Flash_Translation_Layer_(FTL)_and_Mapping ("the physical location of an LBA might dynamically change frequently" ... Sorry for the bad wiki article)

So if I understand correctly, a good SSD/SD-card is likely to have a memory-controller with the mentioned features which can prevent these write issues.

It seems SD card with an adapter would be the way to go for me. I already own a switch so there are not many Wii-U exclusive games I'd like to install, so a smaller space (compared to what I'd get with an SSD of the same price) is fine.

Though to be honest, I kind of lost motivation on putting any more effort on the Wii U at the moment. It's mostly meant for Wii & Wii-U games with friends and family, which has gotten less relevant with the current situation. As some sort of test (before reading your comments) I attached a cheap USB with a game (with little care about corrupting the USB or the game progress) but I haven't checked on it yet.

Anyway, thank you everyone for your comments.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So if I understand correctly, a good SSD/SD-card is likely to have a memory-controller with the mentioned features which can prevent these write issues.
Exactly. The keyword here is wear-leveling (maybe combined with good garbage colletion algos as the Wii U neighter use a default file system nor is it able to tell the FTL what datablocks have been deleted (cause of missing TRIM support)).

//EDIT: Also overprovisioning (more than the manufacturer did already, see https://www.kingston.com/us/ssd/overprovisioning as an example) might be a good idea to help the wear-leveling algos. That simply means: Don't use all space / keep X % free at all time.

For even more informstions I just found this wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_amplification

Last edited by V10lator,
Reactions: jacobsson

Mad1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, Can i use "Sata to USB 2.5"/3.5" includes 12V/2A power adapter" for a 2.5" HDD without y-cable? or it will not work because 2.5" will not use 12V/2A ?

slimhakz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So by performing this mod by soldering two wires from the small caps to the black cap (5v rail) (big red mark)

This will allow me to power 2 x usb external portable hdds, one off of each port (wii u hdd + wii hdd)

Is there any danger to doing this?

Should I use a reasonably thick wire?

Will this damage the hdd, wii u or anything else?

thanks!

slimhakz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I would say No cause you can use two HDDs with Y cables, putting the exact same stress onto the 5V power rail. But you want to know the worst case? A surge (inside of the Wii U) melting.

Can't harm doing so.
Ok...

how would this "surge" occur???

Bit nervous obviously cause I don't want to cause a fire/broken wii u

slimhakz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hope to be able to do this without and fire/surge???

:////
Post automatically merged:

Exactly. The keyword here is wear-leveling (maybe combined with good garbage colletion algos as the Wii U neighter use a default file system nor is it able to tell the FTL what datablocks have been deleted (cause of missing TRIM support)).

//EDIT: Also overprovisioning (more than the manufacturer did already, see https://www.kingston.com/us/ssd/overprovisioning as an example) might be a good idea to help the wear-leveling algos. That simply means: Don't use all space / keep X % free at all time.

For even more informstions I just found this wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_amplification

Want to try this, this weekend, but can't do it knowing it will potentially create a surge/fire?

Any updates on this would be great, thank you!

Last edited by slimhakz,

AceCuba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Hope to be able to do this without and fire/surge???

:////
Post automatically merged:

Want to try this, this weekend, but can't do it knowing it will potentially create a surge/fire?

Any updates on this would be great, thank you!
worst case esenario a shor iside the 5v line on the wiiu , the console will not catch fire . if you want to b more secure just soder 2 fuses smd , one per line beten the 5v usb vcc and the cnsole 5v on the cap

Reactions: slimhakz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: