Wii U Possibly Released @ USD $249.99

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't we have a situation like this with the 3DS two years ago where people were debating whether or not the 3DS would be above 250? Eventually, Nintendo caved in and went for $249.99. Maybe we need to stick it to Nintendo and make it known that we are willing to get the WiiU at $249.99. You can't beat public opinion.
The difference is, normally Nintendo tries to profit off of its systems, and the 3DS only costs about $100 to make; thus, they would make a great profit off of each 3DS sold (they still do). The Wii U, on the other hand, costs a lot more to make, what with the console, the tablet, the controllers, and the advertising (and various other aspects), thus, $250 would net them a lot less (if at all) for the Wii U than the 3DS did.

Agreed but this is Nintendo "After the Earthquake". Remember that for the first few months of the 3DS price drop, Nintendo was selling the console at a lost. I think that Nintendo has learned the value of selling at a loss temporarily to gain a customer base.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't we have a situation like this with the 3DS two years ago where people were debating whether or not the 3DS would be above 250? Eventually, Nintendo caved in and went for $249.99. Maybe we need to stick it to Nintendo and make it known that we are willing to get the WiiU at $249.99. You can't beat public opinion.
The difference is, normally Nintendo tries to profit off of its systems, and the 3DS only costs about $100 to make; thus, they would make a great profit off of each 3DS sold (they still do). The Wii U, on the other hand, costs a lot more to make, what with the console, the tablet, the controllers, and the advertising (and various other aspects), thus, $250 would net them a lot less (if at all) for the Wii U than the 3DS did.

Agreed but this is Nintendo "After the Earthquake". Remember that for the first few months of the 3DS price drop, Nintendo was selling the console at a lost. I think that Nintendo has learned the value of selling at a loss temporarily to gain a customer base.
That makes sense, but what I worry about is how much of a loss it would be in this case. If it were big enough and they were to sell it at this price, Nintendo could take a big hit.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That makes sense, but what I worry about is how much of a loss it would be in this case. If it were big enough and they were to sell it at this price, Nintendo could take a big hit.

Agreed but I think that it would only be a metter of really high profile games for Nintendo to bounce back.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe it would be something like this:

$249/$299 with just one tablet

or if you want....

$299/$349 with two tablets

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Uh, Bloomberg's made a miscalculation
Nintendo never launches their consoles at a straight Yen-USD conversion rate. Both the Wii and the recent 3DS launched at 25000 JPY, and $250USD
if it's 20000JPY, it's probably $200. if it's 25000JPY, it's probably $250.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo never launches their consoles at a straight Yen-USD conversion rate. Both the Wii and the recent 3DS launched at 25000 JPY, and $250USD
I doubt they'd sell it for $200, that's a big risk they'd be taking.

Reactions: 1 person

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Well if they'd sell it for 20000¥, then they'd sell it for $200.
Suspect Bloomburg, not me.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if they'd sell it for 20000¥, then they'd sell it for $200.
Suspect Bloomburg, not me.
Ah, that was just a general statement, I didn't mean it towards you specifically.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Considering the Wii U is supposed to be the most powerful thing around, and it comes with a tablet controller (which is likely to cost at least $60 to $75 all on its own [tablets aren't cheap] - ie: never ever drop it), I wouldn't expect this thing to go on sale for less than around $300, though I'd place it closer to $350. Anywhere above that though, and they won't be moving systems. Anywhere below $300, and they'll probably be taking a loss for at least the first year until the tech in the Wii U becomes cheaper.

Nintendo is throwing themselves into this one. Expect the system to cost as much as a next gen system would.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I seriously doubt the Wii U will sell for anything less than $300. That controller alone looks pricey. If it is as powerful as various sources claim it to be, it will not be sold so cheaply. I would buy it at launch if at max the price was $400.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I personally think that the Wii U will be priced at $299.99. Nintendo hardly bombs up the launch price by $100. Even the largest increase by the DS -> 3DS was only $80.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep seeing post claiming the gamepad looks expensive. But why? You can get cheap (non-china) tablet PCs for 50-75 USA dollars. Last I looked this thing lacks an os, a cpu, gpu and sound processor. Look at how much Nintendo charges for the Wii-mote and it's attachments. Yet they are including in the Wii when it sells for 150, originally 250. I can see Nintendo selling the gamepad separately at a ridiculous price, making more then double the cost like the wii-mote.

Factoring all these in and stuff I see the price being possibly 250 usa for the Wii-U. I'm betting the Wii-U only comes with the Wii-U Gamepad though. No other controllers.

Reactions: 1 person

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep seeing post claiming the gamepad looks expensive. But why? You can get cheap (non-china) tablet PCs for 50-75 USA dollars. Last I looked this thing lacks an os, a cpu, gpu and sound processor. Look at how much Nintendo charges for the Wii-mote and it's attachments. Yet they are including in the Wii when it sells for 150, originally 250. I can see Nintendo selling the gamepad separately at a ridiculous price, making more then double the cost like the wii-mote.

Factoring all these in and stuff I see the price being possibly 250 usa for the Wii-U. I'm betting the Wii-U only comes with the Wii-U Gamepad though. No other controllers.

EXACTLY! The Wii-U's tab is a resistive screen semi tablet. If there is a cpu and behind the scenes OS it's not going to be a high end one.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
The gamepad will obviously cost more than a Wiimote+ w/ nunchuk, which sells for ~$50. It has to have the capacity of decompressing a video/audio stream within 1/60th of a second (which is what Nintendo claims it does), so it has to have the hardware to accomplish that, including a CPU, RAM, and decompression hardware (not necessarily a GPU). Add that, the touch screen, speakers, and basically a Wiimote+ w/ nunchuk into one package, and I'd say you're looking at a price within the $80-$100 range.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-