Status
Not open for further replies.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That may be true. However, it is still piracy. Don't get me wrong, I am a pirate and I care less if the WiiU allows ROMs old and new. I just own up to what I do without denial.

Emulators themselves are not piracy and are legal under US copyright law (Sony vs Connectix and Sony vs. bleem! deemed it legal for emulators to be legal). The ROM and ISO images themselves however, are a different manner. GBA Temp use to be a ROM site way back when, I admit I use ROMs myself, because I don't care really. Newer games/game still being actively produced and sold however, I don't pirate. I don't care that I do it to old games. Who benefits from them aside from secondhand sellers? No one really. Secondhand is considered by game developers to be just as bad if not worse than piracy, somehow.

Sick of Nintendo's handling of the VC, emulation is far more appealing in that regard.

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No offense to anyone but lets stay on topic and answer the OP's question, if you don't agree with him then don't post at all

i heared that wii u can be modded to play homebrew games so my question is:are homebrew games the pirated games that we can download from the internet to burn on a cd or something(iso or cso i think) so can it play those "pirated games" or copy them on an sd card like the r4 for the ds because i won t buy a wii u except if i can play cheap games because the original ones are really expensive
Right now, no it can't be. The vWii can be soft-modded to load homebrew and play Wii games.
There is a product called the Wii Key U that is still being developed. It claims to be able to load Wii U games from any usb media. So yes you could download games off the internet and use the Wii Key U to play them. However, no one knows when this product will be ready to buy or if it is even real at all.
There are exploits for the Wii U which could lead to a softmod but that won't happen for a very, very long time.
That is all.

And above all. You really should just buy the games, if they are too expensive then wait a bit and buy them used. No one is getting any support (besides the illegal hardware modders) for games you download.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Emulators playing roms=piracy.

Well... :P
As long as the bios files themselves are not provided, the emulators are legal.
That aside, legal homebrew was created for NES, SNES... as well as some game devs publishing the roms for an earlier game themselves (Daikatana GBC, Buster X68, etc.) which makes those legal ROMs for download and use.
And your dumps are "legal" as long as it's done by yourself from a copy you own..
Hardly piracy.

Piracy comes on the part of the user and NOT the emulator dev, when said user decides to resort to alternate methods to get his ROM...

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I'll give this guy props for being honest about what he wants rather than seeing that someone stole an item and left the box. Fuck sake if they can't afford they shouldn't be coming to the store.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
*looks at OP*

Hmm...it's Newton's law of action and reaction, if you ask me. :unsure:

For if one guy manages to accomplish to create a brilliant exploit in a hidden corner of the internal software, bypassing all security, and manages to use this to gain total control of the system...

...then the internet will react with someone ignoring basic punctuation, forum rules or lacking any coherent communication skills.

No wonder team twiizers refused to publish their work. Not so much for all the pirates, but for all the...less than intelligent questions they would have to answer until the end of the wiiu life cycle. ;)

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well... :P
As long as the bios files themselves are not provided, the emulators are legal.
That aside, legal homebrew was created for NES, SNES... as well as some game devs publishing the roms for an earlier game themselves (Daikatana GBC, Buster X68, etc.) which makes those legal ROMs for download and use.
And your dumps are "legal" as long as it's done by yourself from a copy you own..
Hardly piracy.

Piracy comes on the part of the user and NOT the emulator dev, when said user decides to resort to alternate methods to get his ROM...

...and the majority of people actually dumping their own roms? The majority of people using emulators are launching illegal ROMs. I said emulators playing ROMs = piracy. I didn't say emulators = piracy. But to be more specific emulators playing illegal ROMs = piracy. Which again most people do because they do not have the hardware, capabilities, or just plain know how to dump their own roms and most people could give a rat's a$$ about homebrew made for these emulators if they've even heard of them. Also. I thought were were talking the end user. I did not in any way say devs were responsible for what a pirate does...

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well at some point in the coming months we are apparently getting WiiUKey which will allow the playing of .iso files from USB drive by doing ODE (optical drive emulation).

I suspect once this gets in the wild we will start to see plenty of .isos in 'all the normal places'. I plan to get one even though I already have a library of about 20 WiiU games.

With hacked vWii and using devolution for GC I can have pretty much the entire Nintendo library on one machine and have all my games on one portable USB drive (wiiu/wii/gc) and one 32GB SD card (for VC/wiiware). Devolution is straight up awesome on WiiU. Many GC games running upscaled to 1080p look incredibly good for 10+ year old games and playing with the WiiU pro controller is also excellent. It was a pain to rip all my own games (over 30) and then do the one time disc verification to Wiimote shit but once I got it all setup I was very impressed with how well it works.

If I had to live with only one console right now I think it would be WiiU because what other system gives you 6 generations of games on one system: NES/SNES/N64/GC/WII/WIIU?

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have come up with a way to pirate any game on any system!!!!

Step one become an actual pirate!!!

Step two hijack some ships carrying games and or systems, container ships should be easy pickings for anyone who has played a few rounds of Call of Duty....

Step three play the games!!! (And say "yyyaaaarrgghhhh" a lot...)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Right, this thread is getting terribly off-topic, so I'll just drop this:
  • Wii backups can be launched and require modifying the vWii sandbox, tutorials on how to do that can be found in the Hacking and Homebrew section
  • Wii U backups cannot be launched at present, perhaps the WiiKeyU will change that in the near future (if it's actually real)
That's about it when it comes to the Wii U, I believe the topic can be locked, so I'll report it.

GregoryRasputin

The PS3 Scenes Most Hated Person
Banned
Trophies
Website
playstationhax.it
XP
Country
I don't think most people here really give a flying f**k about older games no longer being sold or manufactured or no longer have profits given to developers, irrespective of said old games' copyrights. Emulators are gonna happen either way; rather would have those than enabling Wii U piracy. Old ROMs wouldn't affect anyone but second-hand retailers, not trying to justify anything, just stating that there will be homebrew on the Wii U, at least to some degree.

Crying about people pirating people downloading modern games and supporting the downloading of roms is a tad hypocritical, piracy is still piracy and nothing can change that.
As far as companies not making profit of old games, you are wrong, NES, SNES, GBA, Mega Drive and many others games are still sold and the manufacturers make profit from the sales of retro games, all you have to do is look at the eShop, PSN and Xbox Live to see proof of that.

I used to download roms all the time, but as modern consoles have all the games i like, i own them on that instead, i own all the Metal Slug games, it was my favourite Arcade Machine and i used to play the rom all the time, but now own them on the PS3 and PS Vita and i bought my favourite Nintendo retro's on my 3DS and Wii U.

I don't care if people download games or download roms, but to say they aren't the same thing is wrong, a game is a game and a downloaded game is a downloaded game, just as a pirated game is a pirated game, these companies, such as Nintendo and Sega will own the copyright on retro games until the end of time and they still sell them in digital form, so downloading a rom version of Snes Mario Kart, is no different than downloading an ISO of Mario Kart 8

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i heared that wii u can be modded to play homebrew games so my question is:are homebrew games the pirated games that we can download from the internet to burn on a cd or something(iso or cso i think) so can it play those "pirated games" or copy them on an sd card like the r4 for the ds because i won t buy a wii u except if i can play cheap games because the original ones are really expensive
what's the wii mode?
noob.png

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Crying about people pirating people downloading modern games and supporting the downloading of roms is a tad hypocritical, piracy is still piracy and nothing can change that.

Oh, you're TERRIBLY mistaken about that one. There IS one thing that can change that; in democratic countries (which disqualifies the "cut the country up in small pieces and then have first-past-the-post elections in each one of those" countries) the people that want change need to get off their lazy asses and vote/support their local pirate party, or any other party that intends to legalize p2p filesharing.

That's right. A coalition in the European Parliament even put out a position paper on the subject; I'll put the link in "code" so just Control-C/Control-V (heh) it to another tab:

Code:
http://www.greens-efa.eu/creation-and-copyright-in-the-digital-era-4525.html

Anything is illegal, until it's made legal. And who is running your country? You, the people, or the US-based entertainment industry? Just look at what they are pulling in Australia and New Zealand. The problem is just that tech-minded people think in tech-based solutions.

Code:
2014-06-25    Call of Duty Ghosts Wiiu *NTSC*                    POWERUP  83x300 MB
2014-06-20    Mario and Sonic At The Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games Wiiu *NTSC*    FAKE      83x300 MB
2014-06-16    Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze Wiiu *NTSC*            ABSTRAKT 83x300 MB
2014-06-13    Espn Sport Connection Wiiu *NTSC*                    FAKE      84x300 MB
2014-06-12    Tank Tank Tank Wiiu *NTSC*                        FAKE      84x300 MB
2014-06-06    Mario Kart 8 Wiiu *NTSC*                        FAKE      84x300 MB
2014-06-06    Ducktales Remastered Wiiu *NTSC*                    FAKE      84x300 MB
2014-05-30    New Super Mario Bros U Wiiu *NTSC*                    FAKE      84x300 MB
2014-05-28    Pikmin 3 Wiiu *NTSC*                            FAKE      79x300 MB
2014-05-28    Game and Wario Wiiu *NTSC*                        POWERUP  84x300 MB
2014-05-26    Sonic Lost World Wiiu *NTSC*                        POWERUP  84x300 MB
2014-05-22    Nintendo Land Wiiu *NTSC*                        POWERUP  84x300 MB
2014-05-21    The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker HD Wiiu *NTSC*            FAKE      84x300 MB
2014-05-20    Super Mario World Wiiu *3D* *NTSC*                    POWERUP  84x300 MB

From the release dates, it looks like we're due for another one soon.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as companies not making profit of old games, you are wrong, NES, SNES, GBA, Mega Drive and many others games are still sold and the manufacturers make profit from the sales of retro games, all you have to do is look at the eShop, PSN and Xbox Live to see proof of that.

I used to download roms all the time, but as modern consoles have all the games i like, i own them on that instead, i own all the Metal Slug games, it was my favourite Arcade Machine and i used to play the rom all the time, but now own them on the PS3 and PS Vita and i bought my favourite Nintendo retro's on my 3DS and Wii U.

I don't care if people download games or download roms, but to say they aren't the same thing is wrong, a game is a game and a downloaded game is a downloaded game, just as a pirated game is a pirated game, these companies, such as Nintendo and Sega will own the copyright on retro games until the end of time and they still sell them in digital form, so downloading a rom version of Snes Mario Kart, is no different than downloading an ISO of Mario Kart 8

Er should have excluded those games that AREN'T on the Virtual Console XBA or PSN. There are still many games that never were on the Wii Virtual Console, Xbox Arcade or PlayStation Network due to licensing issues with third parties. I've given up on the Virtual Console as a whole, I've given up on ever seeing more third party games on the VC because of these issues. Moreover, I don't give a tin schilling about the fact I modded my Wii and Wii U (vWii Mode) to play the games that will never be on the eShop. Final Fantasy IV or VI, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire? Nope, not on there. Sega Megadrive, N64? Not on the eShop either, as such, I'm disappointed in how Nintendo is handling the Virtual Console, and therefore, I would much rather rely on those who create homwbrew apps than wait and see if third party Snes/N64/Megadrive games are released on the VC, because frankly, I don't see it ever happening, if at all.

Oh and I have numerous VC games, I don't care what people do, that's their business, not mine. C'est la vie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them