Hacking Wii U NOOB PARADISE - Ask & Answer questions here.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the Wii U to Wii U transfer doesn't work?

I was thinking I could do a Wii U 2 --> Wii U 1 transfer, then possibly redownload the items using my NID on Wii U 1 as it is mine (assuming I can remember my passwords and such), but I didn't want to wipe out my save data from Wii U 1 in the process if I could avoid it, and I'd rather keep the legit Zelda Windwaker HD and Hyrule Historia content. We don't really care too much about the save data from Wii U 2, just the DLC and legit games.

Thanks for the fast answer!
Hmmm. I'm not sure. Whatever you try, just make sure to fire up saviine first and save all the savegames that you want from Wii U 2. Once you have them all backed up it won't matter what happens to the rest of the content. You can replace all that. You can't replace your savegames. So do that first and then try the system to system transfer and see what happens. Worst case scenario you just reformat your sysNAND and then redownload WindWaker HD and Hyrule Historia and inject your savegames.

Barelands

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello. I used to watch the forums actively some months ago but stopped doing so, and now I look back and see all the progress made. I'm impressed with the big jump the scene did, I am now interested in modding my Wii U. I've been reading a lot of posts about the installation of many homebrew and such, but I still have some questions:

1.- I decided to go with redNAND for maximum security, then, do you really need to install the sysConfig tool? I don't know exactly for what it is used for but I've seen it has a bunch of options to choose.
2.- Can you install games that don't have a digital download available in the eShop in a HDD? For example, the Call of Duty games.
3.- Can you play online from games installed in a HDD without risk of being banned?

Thanks in advance.

N3wbs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello. I used to watch the forums actively some months ago but stopped doing so, and now I look back and see all the progress made. I'm impressed with the big jump the scene did, I am now interested in modding my Wii U. I've been reading a lot of posts about the installation of many homebrew and such, but I still have some questions:

1.- I decided to go with redNAND for maximum security, then, do you really need to install the sysConfig tool? I don't know exactly for what it is used for but I've seen it has a bunch of options to choose.
2.- Can you install games that don't have a digital download available in the eShop in a HDD? For example, the Call of Duty games.
3.- Can you play online from games installed in a HDD without risk of being banned?

Thanks in advance.

Yes there has been a lot of progress in the hack on the wii u,
You can use rednand ..you need a 64gig sd card for a black console (32gig) or a 32 gig sd card for a white console (16gig) .. to be able to make a backup of the wii nand on the card Sd.

If you install sysConfig tools
Be sure you are connected in the rednand otherwise risk of brick assured if you install it in the sysnand
Yes you will be able to install the digital games, eshop games, dlc, app via bresilian method with wupinstall y mod ..
You will be able to install your content in the sysnand or in an hhd ... via rednand (then you can install content not signed by nintendo.)
To answer your other question .. yes you will be able to play online with unsigned content nintendo. You do not need to have the tickets signed or modified. For the moment nobody has banned from the online since the method came out.

I advise you .. from updated a 5.5.1 ..
Bought a games ds game compatible with the method haxchi ..
Install the games remove all hdd usb connected to the console .. install haxchi .. test see it if it works .. (if it boots on HB .. after restart your console and retry haxchi via your games which need to be install only On the SYSNAND .. if the HB opens .. then only after this confirmation install CBHC..
he should change the Haxchi icon to DO NOT TOUCH .. do not move it, do not delete it .. restart your console .. And CBHC should start then you will have the choice to start in SystemMenu (Sysnand Patched), HB, Mocha CFW or a file FW.IMG .. that you will have compiled with your computer .. if you do not want to compile the file FW. IMG with your computer .. just put mocha in your file apps .. and start it with CBHC .. then the you will have some options that it will ask you like one to create your rednand. (with mocha option you dont need to create the FW.IMG on your pc.)

https://gbatemp.net/threads/hacking-the-wiiu-a-simple-progress-guide.338900/

Last edited by N3wbs,

Barelands

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm aware of the process and cautions for installing sysConfig tool, but I still don't get what it does, but if it's not required, I guess it doesn't really matter.
Anyways, on to my 2nd question, I've read about the Brazilian method, but I don't know if you can install games that you can't purchase from the eShop, is it possible?

Also, I have some other questions:
4.- Is there an HDD compatibility list for these purposes? I've found this one on Reddit, however I don't know if it applies for the Brazilian method. I was planning to buy a 1tb Adata HDD, but it doesn't appear in the compatibility list, any advice?

I can get a cheap internal hard drive, then just put a case on it and make it "external", but then, I don't know if it'll work.

5.- Does it affect anything if the HDD is USB 3.0, 2.5 or such? Again, this is for homebrew and such.

6.- Can you use SDXC cards with redNAND and homebrew? I remember that some SDHC cards didn't work on the Wii, maybe it's a similar history here.

Again, thanks in advance.

famouslutt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I'm a total WiiU noob and there's a question I was always wondering that I hope the OP could answer definitively - is Sonic better than Mario?

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. So I'm trying to get my head around this. It seems the brazilian method is the way I want to go. I read this can be installed to NAND, or USB, and then see I can install to SD? Is this correct? Would I use this method (wup installer mod y) for eShop (no-disc) games as long as I have signature patching or do I need to use an alternative method for this? Is there an easier way to do any or all of this?

Then I notice if I want eShop (non-disc releases) I need signature patching. My question to this is, why would I use a CFW instead of just haxchi and hold B while loading sysmenu? What benefits would a CFW give me that haxchi does not already provide? I am not interested in emu/redNAND.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm just wondering something about the browser lately...
Is there a way to:
  • Downgrade the browser to its 5.3.2 version or restore the Google Search Engine to that version? I fucking hate how they screwed up the Google search engine in the 5.5.1 update.
  • Update the browser's Flash Player? Because I bump into some sites which cannot play videos due to the browser not having a high enough version of Adobe's Flash Player.

D

Deleted User

I'm just wondering something about the browser lately...
Is there a way to:
  • Downgrade the browser to its 5.3.2 version or restore the Google Search Engine to that version? I fucking hate how they screwed up the Google search engine in the 5.5.1 update.
  • Update the browser's Flash Player? Because I bump into some sites which cannot play videos due to the browser not having a high enough version of Adobe's Flash Player.
1.For now, it's not possible. Maybe in the future.
2.Wii U Browser doesn't have flash player. It uses HTML5 instead.

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Total noob here, so I apologise in advance. Please correct anything that's wrong here. From what I've read, RedNAND via the 64GB SD card way involves an emulated NAND of the Wii U. You can play around all you want with this RedNAND because if you brick your RedNAND, you don't brick your sysNAND and ultimately brick your Wii U. Apparently, there is a way to recover from a bricked RedNAND and I would like to know more about this.

Second, there is a CFW called Mocha CFW that also has a RedNAND option, but it's not really a traditional RedNAND in the sense that if you brick the Mocha RedNAND, there is no safety net.

Dark_Entrophy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, a few questions, I want to get an SD card for my system and I'm not exactly sure which one to go for. I have a black Wii U, so I've read that if I wanted to perform some modifications to the software I'll need at least a 64GB SD card. Now, would I want a 128GB for extra space to install backups and the like, or are backups saved to internal storage and/or USB HDDs instead (and thus I shouldn't spend the extra money)? Also, I imagine I would want at least a Class 10, but would a UHS-1 (or even 3) be a notable upgrade for performance?

Also, should I get a full-size SD card, or would a Micro SD also be effective? I just worry about its speed being impacted due to having to be in an adapter.

Dark_Entrophy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
P.S., if I were to use my 4GB card in the meantime, and then copy it completely to a new SD card when I bought it, would it continue to work as always or would some sort of set up/calibration (besides formatting it again) need to be done for the new card?

smoker

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Dear All,

I am thinking to buy a Wii U. I plan to buy a used one from Ebay and also to mod it so I can play games that I can download online, as I do not plan on buying anything. I have been trying to go through the guides/ tutorials here and I am bit confused.

Ages ago I used to have a Wii and I remember that I softmod it easily and then I had the games in the USB drive and from a nice loader I could select and play whatever I wanted. From what I understand this is not the case with Wii U, with the exception of the Brazilian method that has other complications/ limitations.

What I want is to be able to turn on the Wii U and be able, through a loader I guess, to play Wii and Wii U games. I do not care about playing online, couch co-op is more than enough for me.

1. Is the above possible?
2. I assume that I will need to use an SD card for that, correct? (unless of course I go for the Brazilian method)
3. Can I have both Wii and Wii U games in the same SD card?
4. Will the games run from the SD card or do they need to be installed in the console first?
5. I read somewhere here about having a server with the pc, do I need to do that? can't I play from the SD card?
6. Will it read ISOs directly from the SD card?
7. Do I really need a physical game for the vWii mod?

Thank you for your answers.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dear All,

I am thinking to buy a Wii U. I plan to buy a used one from Ebay and also to mod it so I can play games that I can download online, as I do not plan on buying anything. I have been trying to go through the guides/ tutorials here and I am bit confused.

Ages ago I used to have a Wii and I remember that I softmod it easily and then I had the games in the USB drive and from a nice loader I could select and play whatever I wanted. From what I understand this is not the case with Wii U, with the exception of the Brazilian method that has other complications/ limitations.

What I want is to be able to turn on the Wii U and be able, through a loader I guess, to play Wii and Wii U games. I do not care about playing online, couch co-op is more than enough for me.

1. Is the above possible?
2. I assume that I will need to use an SD card for that, correct? (unless of course I go for the Brazilian method)
3. Can I have both Wii and Wii U games in the same SD card?
4. Will the games run from the SD card or do they need to be installed in the console first?
5. I read somewhere here about having a server with the pc, do I need to do that? can't I play from the SD card?
6. Will it read ISOs directly from the SD card?
7. Do I really need a physical game for the vWii mod?

Thank you for your answers.
1. You're mixed up a bit. You can softmod the vWii just like you did the original Wii. SD is used for:
- Playing GC isos on your virtual Wii
- Holding all the "hacks" and homebrew for the wii u
- A temporary place to put your Wii U titles before you install them to USB or internal memory.
- For Loadiine ready games (people don't really use this launch method anymore)

2. Yes you'll need an SD card greater than 4gb so you have room for your games before you install them somewhere else.

3. You can share your SD with your Wii U and your vWii. Only one card needed. You shouldn't be puting your games on SD anyway. For vWii you'll want to have a separate fat32 formatted USB drive for games (unless it's GC isos) and you'll need a second separate usb drive for your Wii U games.

4. With Loadiine you play the games from the SD card but like I said, most people use WUP installer and install to USB or internal memory ("Brazilian Method")

5. No, you don't need a server. You can go online and find plenty of servers to load the first stage exploit. Loadiine.ovh

6. Wii U doesn't use ISO's and neither does vWii (unless we're talking GC games on SD). Wii U uses computer based down loaders to get your games from official Ninty update servers. Then you copy the files (not iso) to a folder on your SD and load up WUP installer which lets you install that game to USB or internal memory. vWii uses wbfs files in certain folders on your vWii USB drive. You could technically use a wii iso on your vWii USB but you can compress those to wbfs files.

7. Not since IOSU came out. Now you can use WUPhax from the Wii U side to add homebrew channel to vWii side.

Last edited by Kafluke,

smoker

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
1. You're mixed up a bit. You can softmod the vWii just like you did the original Wii. SD is used for:
- Playing GC isos on your virtual Wii
- Holding all the "hacks" and homebrew for the wii u
- A temporary place to put your Wii U titles before you install them to USB or internal memory.
- For Loadiine ready games (people don't really use this launch method anymore)

2. Yes you'll need an SD card greater than 4gb so you have room for your games before you install them somewhere else.

3. You can share your SD with your Wii U and your vWii. Only one card needed. You shouldn't be puting your games on SD anyway. For vWii you'll want to have a separate fat32 formatted USB drive for games (unless it's GC isos) and you'll need a second separate usb drive for your Wii U games.

4. With Loadiine you play the games from the SD card but like I said, most people use WUP installer and install to USB or internal memory ("Brazilian Method")

5. No, you don't need a server. You can go online and find plenty of servers to load the first stage exploit. Loadiine.ovh

6. Wii U doesn't use ISO's and neither does vWii (unless we're talking GC games on SD). Wii U uses computer based down loaders to get your games from official Ninty update servers. Then you copy the files (not iso) to a folder on your SD and load up WUP installer which lets you install that game to USB or internal memory. vWii uses wbfs files in certain folders on your vWii USB drive. You could technically use a wii iso on your vWii USB but you can compress those to wbfs files.

7. Not since IOSU came out. Now you can use WUPhax from the Wii U side to add homebrew channel to vWii side.

Thanks for your reply.

To get this straight, vWii is modded like the original Wii and runs backups from USB.

Wii U needs a SD card to hold the games and then install them to USB. But it has to be a different USB than the vWii, correct?

I need an SD card to hold all the "hacks". Is it possible to install them on the console,like with the original Wii, (is it Haxchi?) or the SD card is mandatory?

In other words I need one SD card and two USB devices...

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply.

To get this straight, vWii is modded like the original Wii and runs backups from USB.

Wii U needs a SD card to hold the games and then install them to USB. But it has to be a different USB than the vWii, correct?

I need an SD card to hold all the "hacks". Is it possible to install them on the console,like with the original Wii, (is it Haxchi?) or the SD card is mandatory?

In other words I need one SD card and two USB devices...
Yes, all correct. 2 usb drives and one sd. Even with HaxChi you need a place to launch stuff from HomebrewLauncher. Wup installer and other apps all sit on SD and are launched using HBL.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGhImEo-u9Y