wii u logo is final

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The point is that Nintendo saturate TV with adverts which have gameplay shots and people having fun.....the end result of which is that when the average person who's not really a gamer goes out for a console it's that imprint that Nintendo have made that comes to the fore. The Sony ad is for gamers really, and it'd hardly change the mind of anyone who doesn't really recognise the characters involved. Sony need to advertise to sell, not advertise to pat themselves on the back or make gamers go "Oh Sony....you guy's!"

Okay, here's an example of a Kevin Butler ad for a more "wide appeal" game:

[yt]n1VCUF2xqKk[/yt]

It has humor, it's silly, but it lists a lot of features of the game and shows off some gameplay footage.

Or this one:

[yt]EinxqwJCK8o[/yt]

They advertise the games and their humor. Also "back patting" is just a less flattering way of saying "advertising the good aspects of their game". What makes a Sony ad where they say "The Playstation 3 is so awesome it can do this, this, and that!" counted as "back patting" and a Nintendo ad where they go "The 3DS is so awesome it can do this, this, and that" counted as "advertising to sell"?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That proves my point to the nth degree.....awful advertising campaigns (Butler and Marcus) which only a handful of people who weren't already gamers saw, and those who did wouldn't be compelled to buy anything or remember anything from the ad. The Vita campaign is another disaster, and the Xperia campaign is just facepalm stupid and illustrates a total lack of awareness of who they're marketing the phone towards.

Nintendo just needs a few musical tones and you know it's one of their products....

Have you seen Nintendo's ads? It's either kids and families playing a game together or a bunch of bros going "LOL I BET I CAN BEAT YOU IN MARIO KART". At least Sony ads are funny and the Kevin Butler character is a nice joke. And they actually advertise it. How many Nintendo ads have just been "watch a famous person play a game". Robin Williams with Ocarina of Time 3D, Seth Green with Dragon Quest IX. Oh, and Sony also did this ad.

[yt]mdWkKKSckNk[/yt]

Advertises everything Sony. From little easter eggs here and there to showing off tons of notable franchises on the Playstation, it's one of the higher quality and more entertaining ads.

And don't even get me started on Nintendo's "trying to appeal to hardcore gamers" campaign with the 3DS. Just a couple of bros going "LET'S TALK ABOUT THE ESHOP AND WATCH 3D VIDEOS!" They really have no fucking clue who they're catering to there.
At least nintedo does'nt cover up a bad game in big money advertisement.
Feels a lot more sincere imo...

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That proves my point to the nth degree.....awful advertising campaigns (Butler and Marcus) which only a handful of people who weren't already gamers saw, and those who did wouldn't be compelled to buy anything or remember anything from the ad. The Vita campaign is another disaster, and the Xperia campaign is just facepalm stupid and illustrates a total lack of awareness of who they're marketing the phone towards.

Nintendo just needs a few musical tones and you know it's one of their products....

Have you seen Nintendo's ads? It's either kids and families playing a game together or a bunch of bros going "LOL I BET I CAN BEAT YOU IN MARIO KART". At least Sony ads are funny and the Kevin Butler character is a nice joke. And they actually advertise it. How many Nintendo ads have just been "watch a famous person play a game". Robin Williams with Ocarina of Time 3D, Seth Green with Dragon Quest IX. Oh, and Sony also did this ad.

[yt]mdWkKKSckNk[/yt]

Advertises everything Sony. From little easter eggs here and there to showing off tons of notable franchises on the Playstation, it's one of the higher quality and more entertaining ads.

And don't even get me started on Nintendo's "trying to appeal to hardcore gamers" campaign with the 3DS. Just a couple of bros going "LET'S TALK ABOUT THE ESHOP AND WATCH 3D VIDEOS!" They really have no fucking clue who they're catering to there.
At least nintedo does'nt cover up a bad game in big money advertisement.
Feels a lot more sincere imo...

Anyway nintendo can easily mock themselves, without harming themselves. Even in games, ever played paper mario?
They have "Disney" status. As for Sony "just" produces consumer electronics.
Nothing special except for the commercials.

Still i think the Wiiu name is "weird" in general, it's still a lot daring than just adding a number...
Look at all the fantastic games we've had in the past.Console name does'nt mean squat.

shadow theory

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think it's an interesting choice. Microsoft when developing the successor to the Xbox faces a problem. Did they want to release the Xbox 2 when the Playstation 3 would be coming out? They worried that consumers would get confused, and think that the Playstation 3 was a newer generation than the Xbox, hence the jump to the Xbox 360 just to have that "three" image. Branding is important--they don't spend money on focus testing for nothing.

I think the message the Wii U needs to send isn't necessarily that it's this brand new awesome thing. Nintendo always makes something that has an interesting idea at it's core, but it's gotta try to say "hey we're nintendo games". A lot of times it seems they design systems with only themselves in mind so you get a handful of awesome games from them and poor to terrible support elsewhere. For some of us gamers that have been around awhile (I'm 26) we've played the big Nintendo mascots a ton and it's harder to keep justifying another purchase just to get one more generation of those games. If they could show that you could get that plus more AAA non-nintendo titles, then I think it would sell a lot more people. That's what made the Super Nintendo such a great console.

Reactions: 2 people

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think it's an interesting choice. Microsoft when developing the successor to the Xbox faces a problem. Did they want to release the Xbox 2 when the Playstation 3 would be coming out? They worried that consumers would get confused, and think that the Playstation 3 was a newer generation than the Xbox, hence the jump to the Xbox 360 just to have that "three" image. Branding is important--they don't spend money on focus testing for nothing.

I think the message the Wii U needs to send isn't necessarily that it's this brand new awesome thing. Nintendo always makes something that has an interesting idea at it's core, but it's gotta try to say "hey we're nintendo games". A lot of times it seems they design systems with only themselves in mind so you get a handful of awesome games from them and poor to terrible support elsewhere. For some of us gamers that have been around awhile (I'm 26) we've played the big Nintendo mascots a ton and it's harder to keep justifying another purchase just to get one more generation of those games. If they could show that you could get that plus more AAA non-nintendo titles, then I think it would sell a lot more people. That's what made the Super Nintendo such a great console.

your sire have articulated exactly whats been bothering me about Nintendo for some time now, it seems that Nintendo literally pays more attention to its first party titles than 3d party devs, it doesn't help that the Wii was under powered for a lot of this generations 3rd party games.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Admittedly that was true for the 3DS launch, and i don't know about the US, but over here we're swamped with 3DS ads now (though strangely they weren't at around launch, although that's possibly down to the atrocious games drought). It may still suffer from the "DS in 3D" confusion, but it's being marked so heavily as the 3DS that the DS name is all but forgotten. Chuck in what you can actually purchase in shops and i'd say at this point the confusion is minimal. If Nintendo aren't stupid they'll have learnt some valuable lessons from the 3DS
Such is the case now, but the 3DS is over a year old now. It took them too long to realize the confusion being caused.

I expect a 3DS-like launch for the Wii U for the same reasons. By using the same sort of name, Nintendo apparently doesn't think it's an issue and will likely take a while to do the same sort of thing.

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted_171835

Admittedly that was true for the 3DS launch, and i don't know about the US, but over here we're swamped with 3DS ads now (though strangely they weren't at around launch, although that's possibly down to the atrocious games drought). It may still suffer from the "DS in 3D" confusion, but it's being marked so heavily as the 3DS that the DS name is all but forgotten. Chuck in what you can actually purchase in shops and i'd say at this point the confusion is minimal. If Nintendo aren't stupid they'll have learnt some valuable lessons from the 3DS
Such is the case now, but the 3DS is over a year old now. It took them too long to realize the confusion being caused.

I expect a 3DS-like launch for the Wii U for the same reasons. By using the same sort of name, Nintendo apparently doesn't think it's an issue and will likely take a while to do the same sort of thing.
It won't be an issue because consoles don't get revisions. Nobody was confused by the PS2 or the PS3 despite them having rather similar names. The only reason the 3DS was confusing was because we got already got a DS, DS Lite, DSi and DSi XL. I think Nintendo did well in naming it the Wii U considering the immense power the Wii brand has.

Reactions: 1 person

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You think the Kevin Butler commercials are actually funny? Are you kidding me?

Nintendo is great at marketing. They get to the point and directly advertise their product, without acting like assholes (In the case of Kevin Butler), or missing the whole point of the advertisement completely (Like a lot of companies do, with some stupid plot that isn't related to the product at all).

Also:

[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=E0uBqg0Vo6A[/media]

Forgot about that, huh?

That is an amazing commercial, I love it. Also the KB ads are funny. Well, the older ones, the newer ones are kinda eh. But I still get a chuckle out of them.

D

Deleted_171835

mdWkKKSckNk

And Sony's ads are much better?

They're the ones who gave us this in an attempt to appeal to the ghetto dudebro market with the PSP.

This ridiculous viral ad campaign,

Some other dumb ads.

Their Vita ads do a "great" job at illustrating why you should get the system.

Sony has one of the absolute worst ad agencies. At least Nintendo's ads cut to the chase and actually sell the product.

Perfect example:

Nintendo's ads are much better than Sony's at actually selling the product.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence -