wii u logo is final

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
if the wiiu brings my kids the kookyness and quirkness of wii games and their control methods along with the more ps3/xbox style fps games etc , with the gfx to at least better the ps3 then , i will be happy , i just want 1 system to do what we now have in 2/3 scattered around the house ... pisses me off...lol... whats in a name...

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't we do all this dreading of console names with the Wii already? Can't we all just get over it already? The Wii sounded awful at first, and now its actually the most innovative console on the market. The WiiU as a name should not be bothersome, since we already got used to Wii. What, were you expecting Wii2? Well, WiiU sounds awfully close, doesn't it?

Sorry, I'll stop ranting now, but all this complaining about the name being the reason one won't buy the console is pathetically superficial.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Didn't we do all this dreading of console names with the Wii already? Can't we all just get over it already? The Wii sounded awful at first, and now its actually the most innovative console on the market. The WiiU as a name should not be bothersome, since we already got used to Wii. What, were you expecting Wii2? Well, WiiU sounds awfully close, doesn't it?

Sorry, I'll stop ranting now, but all this complaining about the name being the reason one won't buy the console is pathetically superficial.

My problem with the Wii U's name is from a distinction standpoint. By this I mean the name is so similar to the Wii that Nintendo will have to work harder to make sure people get its a whole new system. I understand hardcore Nintendo fans will read up and understand this but the casual consumer(who Nintendo has prioritized over the hardcore fan)may not necessarily see this, and besides they(the casual consumer) have a Wii why should they get this "Wii U". Its an image problem in my opinion. At this point I'm not particularly excited about Wii U, we'll have to see what software comes with it, if the 3rd party devs will take it seriously, and if Nintendo will be serious about creating a robust online network. We shall see, but "Wii U" is by no means a great way to distinguish a new system from the previous console bloated with shovelware.

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing that bothers me about the name has already been stated. It's a matter of the console having to fight for its identity. To this day i still hear many ppl referring to the 3DS as the 3D-DS.
Ppl don't realize this isn't just a ds or dsi in 3D. It has to be explained that it is more powerful and blah blah. Some still don't get it and ask "So will Mario 3D land work in my kids Dsi?"
Same is going to happen for the WiiU. "So, i have a Wii, that means this WiiU game will work on it right? I mean all they did was add a U to the name." Or even better, "I already have a Wii, so can i just buy that controller to play WiiU games?"
The brand idiocy is tiring, but what ya gonna do? :::shrugs:::

Reactions: 3 people

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
The thing I don't get, is somehow it's confusing when they added on to a name for the Wii U, but we have Sony with their buckets full of originality, tacking on a single number to the end of their consoles' names. Or even Microsoft with the Xbox and Xbox 360.

All of those are minor name changes, but do people confuse those consoles? No. Now stop crying.

Reactions: 1 person

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The thing I don't get, is somehow it's confusing when they added on to a name for the Wii U, but we have Sony with their buckets full of originality, tacking on a single number to the end of their consoles' names. Or even Microsoft with the Xbox and Xbox 360.

All of those are minor name changes, but do people confuse those consoles? No. Now stop crying.
VITA IS LIFE!
(also numbers are easier to differentiate different products with than letters. Typically letters are used for model revisions)

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lets stay on topic, the Wii U is a horrible name for a console but eventually people will get used to it, especially if it's backed up by good software and a robust online experience(which knowing Nintendo the former is more realistic than the latter).

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lets stay on topic, the Wii U is a horrible name for a console but eventually people will get used to it, especially if it's backed up by good software and a robust online experience(which knowing Nintendo the former is more realistic than the latter).

I do kinda like the name since I can post this in every Wii U thread:

[yt]0JElywbkSbY[/yt]

Reactions: 3 people

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing that bothers me about the name has already been stated. It's a matter of the console having to fight for its identity. To this day i still hear many ppl referring to the 3DS as the 3D-DS.
Ppl don't realize this isn't just a ds or dsi in 3D. It has to be explained that it is more powerful and blah blah. Some still don't get it and ask "So will Mario 3D land work in my kids Dsi?"
Same is going to happen for the WiiU. "So, i have a Wii, that means this WiiU game will work on it right? I mean all they did was add a U to the name." Or even better, "I already have a Wii, so can i just buy that controller to play WiiU games?"
The brand idiocy is tiring, but what ya gonna do? :::shrugs:::
Those who are still saying/wondering that or have that kind of mindset, are going
to be confused no matter what and it really the fault of the people. I never heard anyone
with sure a mindset when the wii u was brought into a conversation.

The name is as bad as you make it seem. It isn't wii poo or something like that.

Because the haven't had good software and haven't Bessemer working with people
on the wii u and 3ds doesn't have a good online.

Tho the community idea could be expanded.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, anyone who's upset about the name is a dumbass. Not because its stupid first of all to be upset and not want to buy a console over its name, but because in the WiiU thread about changing the name, 60% of posts were penis jokes. If some stupid fratboy can tell that his PS3 games wont work on his PS2, but not the fact that the WiiU is a new console or some suburban house/soccer mom cant look up a little info before she makes a 300(+) purchase so she knows its not a god damn controller for the Wii, then that's her problem.
Let Nintendo worry about how they are going to sell the console.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Ensue IMMENSE marketing campaign so that people are actually aware it's a totally different console and not the Wii+ (and Nintendo are amazing at advertising, far better than the craptacular Sony). Soon enough the logo won't really matter, although it is a pretty poor choice for a NEW console.
I don't think so. Nintendo's been pretty shitty about letting consumers know about different things lately. Look at the confusion from the 3DS at launch, people not realizing it's a new system... Nintendo obviously didn't learn from that, keeping the Wii U name as it is for the brand recognition and again ignoring the obvious confusion that it'll cause many consumers.

I mean the original Wii's been out for over 5 years, and the "gamer" base has grown largely since then. For many consumers the current generation of consoles and handhelds is all they've seen, which is partially the issue when the 3DS came out. The concept of a new handheld that plays new games was foreign to people, and having a name directly based off of the old one with a minor change (when there were already known hardware revisions across the board) simply didn't do enough to get the concept of "NEW SHIT" into people's heads.

As posted...
(also numbers are easier to differentiate different products with than letters. Typically letters are used for model revisions)
This. People are used to things like "DS Lite" and "360 Slim" and "PSP Slim" and "PSP brite", something like "Wii U" doesn't give the same impression as going from "Playstation 2" to "Playstation 3".

Unless Nintendo does a fantastic job in their commercials of pointing out this is a new system, it's likely going to have the same sort of launch as the 3DS; one that confuses and disinterests the average consumer. Nintendo's decision to keep the name shows they don't think it's a problem though.

However, the people who are claiming the name/logo is going to affect their own purchase choice even though they're aware of what it is? Grasp at more straws, why don't you. If you won't want to buy the system, don't buy the system. You don't have to sniff out whatever reasons you can to try to justify it, it's your own damn choice.

EDIT: Capitalization and grammar.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ensue IMMENSE marketing campaign so that people are actually aware it's a totally different console and not the Wii+ (and Nintendo are amazing at advertising, far better than the craptacular Sony).

You were saying?

Anyway, I think the Kung Pow jokes have already been made enough times already. I think this name is a mistake, but Nintendo has probably figured that promoting the system under a new one wouldn't be worth the effort or a strong show of confidence.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I find it ironic that the codename for pretty much every console nintendo has ever made is better than the final title.
Further irony ensues when the Dolphin emulator may actually end up being better than the authentic Gamecube, and then the Wii also.
It'll take work though, still a lot of kinks to work out.

Dolphin being the codename for the Gamecube.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
And then my mother will be confused and buy my brother a Wii instead because she thought he said "Can you get me the Wii, you?" Then she'll refuse to return the Wii and get him a Wii U because the two consoles look similar enough that to her they're probably the same except one is an upgrade, like with the Xbox 360 and the Xbox 360 Slim.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) We didn't even know how the final console will look like. It really doesn't really look
like the wii as it is now.

2) If she gets that easily confuse and does no research then maybe she should stop
buying consoles. :P

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think it is perfectly legitimate to dislike the name. I don't care if the name confuses some consumers out of buying; it will probably equally confuse consumers into buying it. I always thought "Wii" was a horrible name, and as a Nintendo fan I wanted to get that ugly taste out of my mouth. I don't see myself owning this as Nintendo officially stated that it will NOT have a 3D option. So much for being at least ON PAR with PS3/360.

"Reggie Fils-Aime commented in a CNN article and claimed that Nintendo's next home console would not likely feature stereoscopic 3D, based on the 3D technology Nintendo had experimented with."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: https://gbatemp.net/threads/videos-not-working-on-certain-sites-w-ms-edge-browser.645937/