wii u logo is final

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Ensue IMMENSE marketing campaign so that people are actually aware it's a totally different console and not the Wii+ (and Nintendo are amazing at advertising, far better than the craptacular Sony). Soon enough the logo won't really matter, although it is a pretty poor choice for a NEW console.
I don't think so.  Nintendo's been pretty shitty about letting consumers know about different things lately.  Look at the confusion from the 3DS at launch, people not realizing it's a new system... Nintendo obviously didn't learn from that, keeping the Wii U name as it is for the brand recognition and again ignoring the obvious confusion that it'll cause many consumers.

I mean the original Wii's been out for over 5 years, and the "gamer" base has grown largely since then.  For many consumers the current generation of consoles and handhelds is all they've seen, which is partially the issue when the 3DS came out.  The concept of a new handheld that plays new games was foreign to people, and having a name directly based off of the old one with a minor change (when there were already known hardware revisions across the board) simply didn't do enough to get the concept of "NEW SHIT" into people's heads.

What I think ultimately lead to this decision is the the amount of 3DS units sold lately, Nintendo has realized that sales due to brand recognition is greater than the potential loss you get by confusing the mainstream consumers.

I remember reading a comment Iwata made about this stating that they aim for changing the brand reputation rather than the brand itself, a hard but achievable task that in the end could result in bigger profits. In the same article he further mentions that they are aiming at the core market since it's more reliable than the casual one.

What I think he's trying to say is that Nintendo will, with some time on the market, be able to cater to the core audience with the Wii U name and at the same time get sales boosts for keeping the widely recognizable Wii brand.
He seems pretty confident about this despite how he personally thinks that the Wii failed to be the "everyone" system he wanted, admitting that many Nintendo gamers usually have other systems at home too in order to meet their gaming "needs" and "standards". Hopefully he delivers what he has promised and corrects the errors they've made with the Wii, like hardware and online for example.
Nintendo really needs to prove themselves this E3 in order to succeed with hardware sales this holiday.

Reactions: 1 person

uribemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it is perfectly legitimate to dislike the name. I don't care if the name confuses some consumers out of buying; it will probably equally confuse consumers into buying it. I always thought "Wii" was a horrible name, and as a Nintendo fan I wanted to get that ugly taste out of my mouth. I don't see myself owning this as Nintendo officially stated that it will NOT have a 3D option. So much for being at least ON PAR with PS3/360.

"Reggie Fils-Aime commented in a CNN article and claimed that Nintendo's next home console would not likely feature stereoscopic 3D, based on the 3D technology Nintendo had experimented with."
How Does not having 3D make the WiiU worse than the ps360?

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think it is perfectly legitimate to dislike the name. I don't care if the name confuses some consumers out of buying; it will probably equally confuse consumers into buying it. I always thought "Wii" was a horrible name, and as a Nintendo fan I wanted to get that ugly taste out of my mouth. I don't see myself owning this as Nintendo officially stated that it will NOT have a 3D option. So much for being at least ON PAR with PS3/360.

"Reggie Fils-Aime commented in a CNN article and claimed that Nintendo's next home console would not likely feature stereoscopic 3D, based on the 3D technology Nintendo had experimented with."
Because ps360 does 3d.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country

Iwata has already confirmed that the Wii U will be 3DTV compatible in order to be future proof.

"If you are going to connect Wii U with a home TV capable of displaying 3D images, technologically, yes, it is going to be possible, but that's not the area we are focusing on,"
Reggie is probably talking about the Wii U controller screen and how stereoscopic 3D wouldn't make sense for it.

uribemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Because ps360 does 3d.
Well yeah but i don't think that should matter because the WiiU will have other things that the ps360 doesn't have. Just because one system doesn't have something others do does not make it worse. Nintendo isn't concerned with making systems with better specs. From what i can see is that they're more concerned with revolutionizing the videogame industry.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I get a link?(What up with people pulling whole quotes without links) Not only does it seem like u are misreading that, I remember they
already said they would.
It sounds like the could be talking about the 3ds- like 3d. Doesn't seem "right"
that u said u are not buying it just because it may not have 3d. Specially when u said u are buying
buying the vita despite not having 3d.

What does it being "on par" got to do with the wii u supporting 3d or not?
Well I see that what I was going to say have already been posted. Going
to post anyway. :P

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Iwata has already confirmed that the Wii U will be 3DTV compatible in order to be future proof.

"If you are going to connect Wii U with a home TV capable of displaying 3D images, technologically, yes, it is going to be possible, but that's not the area we are focusing on,"
Reggie is probably talking about the Wii U controller screen and how stereoscopic 3D wouldn't make sense for it.
Then I certainly hope that Nintendo will change their attitudes about 3D. The 3DS is technologically capable of selling/renting feature length 3D movies, but that ain't happening any time soon (I extremely wish they would.)

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can I get a link?(What up with people pulling whole quotes without links) Not only does it seem like u are misreading that, I remember they
already said they would.
It sounds like the could be talking about the 3ds- like 3d. Doesn't seem "right"
that u said u are not buying it just because it may not have 3d. Specially when u said u are buying
buying the vita.

Fake edit- What does it being "on par" got to do with the wii u supporting 3d or not?
Fake edit2-Well I see that what I was going to say have already been posted. Going
to post anyway. :P
It seems that people are drawing the conclusion that the Wii U will not feature 3D by connecting statements from Nintendo figureheads; Hideki Konno's insistence on glasses-free 3D gaming, and Reggie saying the Wii U won't have glasses free 3D, NOT "zero 3D" as I was lead to assume.

Both quotes originate from this article: http://edition.cnn.c...5/nintendo.3ds/

"I think at Nintendo, we realize that any sort of goggle-type 3-D technology was not going to work," Konno said. "In order to make 3-D technology viable with video games, we thought we needed to have glasses-free 3-D."

"Glasses-free is a big deal," Fils-Aime said. "We've not said publicly what the next thing for us will be in the home console space, but based on what we've learned on 3-D, likely, that won't be it."

Because of this, I see tons of headlines jumping to conclusions like "Wii 2 Not Likely To Include 3D, Says Nintendo," "Nintendo: Our Next Console Likely Won't Be 3D," etc etc etc. But I think the evidence is too ambiguous to equate "no glasses 3d" to "no 3d at all."

I said I would buy a Vita when it gets hacked, and I would rather have a Vita than a non 3D home console. But if the Wii U does end up with great 3D support, that would certainly be a consideration. BUT just because it technically can have such support doesn't mean it will get it

D

Deleted_171835

The thing that bothers me about the name has already been stated. It's a matter of the console having to fight for its identity. To this day i still hear many ppl referring to the 3DS as the 3D-DS.
Ppl don't realize this isn't just a ds or dsi in 3D. It has to be explained that it is more powerful and blah blah. Some still don't get it and ask "So will Mario 3D land work in my kids Dsi?"
Same is going to happen for the WiiU. "So, i have a Wii, that means this WiiU game will work on it right? I mean all they did was add a U to the name." Or even better, "I already have a Wii, so can i just buy that controller to play WiiU games?"
The brand idiocy is tiring, but what ya gonna do? :::shrugs:::
The Wii (like most home-consoles) didn't get significant revisions so that won't be a problem. The issue with the 3DS was that Nintendo had already released a DS, DS Lite, DSi and DSi XL before so consumers just thought it was another DS.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I think will happen is Nintendo is going to leave the name alone until E3 since they are re-unvealing the system. It makes sense well to me anyways! lol

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I imagine they aren't using the 3d tech for the 3ds on the controller because it would
drive the cost even higher, wii u has more flexibility and movement than the 3ds.
Adding multiple view would be even higher. Since it a bigger screen, it may have more limits
on it 3d and the touch would probably just get in the way.

Anyway I'm done with off-topuc here.
What I think will happen is Nintendo is going to leave the name alone until E3 since they are re-unvealing the system. It makes sense well to me anyways! lol
And then (!) ... name it the wii u again. Lol

Seriously, I didn't think they are changing it.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I imagine they aren't using the 3d tech for the 3ds on the controller because it would
drive the cost even higher, wii u has more flexibility and movement than the 3ds.
Adding multiple view would be even higher. Since it a bigger screen, it may have more limits

Why not? They did it with the Wii. Everybody thought it was the Revolution, they trademarked some sites and everything, then bam, it was called Wii.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think so. Nintendo's been pretty shitty about letting consumers know about different things lately. Look at the confusion from the 3DS at launch, people not realizing it's a new system... Nintendo obviously didn't learn from that, keeping the Wii U name as it is for the brand recognition and again ignoring the obvious confusion that it'll cause many consumers.

Admittedly that was true for the 3DS launch, and i don't know about the US, but over here we're swamped with 3DS ads now (though strangely they weren't at around launch, although that's possibly down to the atrocious games drought). It may still suffer from the "DS in 3D" confusion, but it's being marked so heavily as the 3DS that the DS name is all but forgotten. Chuck in what you can actually purchase in shops and i'd say at this point the confusion is minimal. If Nintendo aren't stupid they'll have learnt some valuable lessons from the 3DS

I'm far from impressed by the Wii U, and have zero interest in it, but i can't see it failing the way some people seem to think it will unless it's got a really idiotic pricetag.

That proves my point to the nth degree.....awful advertising campaigns (Butler and Marcus) which only a handful of people who weren't already gamers saw, and those who did wouldn't be compelled to buy anything or remember anything from the ad. The Vita campaign is another disaster, and the Xperia campaign is just facepalm stupid and illustrates a total lack of awareness of who they're marketing the phone towards.

Nintendo just needs a few musical tones and you know it's one of their products....

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Why not? They did it with the Wii. Everybody thought it was the Revolution, they trademarked some sites and everything, then bam, it was called Wii.

...Next you're gonna talk about "project reality" and "Dolphin" right?
EVERYBODY knows they were dev names. They were widely noted in every magazine around the globe.
I do not foresee any problems with it's name, it's crystal clear.Its different enough.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That proves my point to the nth degree.....awful advertising campaigns (Butler and Marcus) which only a handful of people who weren't already gamers saw, and those who did wouldn't be compelled to buy anything or remember anything from the ad. The Vita campaign is another disaster, and the Xperia campaign is just facepalm stupid and illustrates a total lack of awareness of who they're marketing the phone towards.

Nintendo just needs a few musical tones and you know it's one of their products....

Have you seen Nintendo's ads? It's either kids and families playing a game together or a bunch of bros going "LOL I BET I CAN BEAT YOU IN MARIO KART". At least Sony ads are funny and the Kevin Butler character is a nice joke. And they actually advertise it. How many Nintendo ads have just been "watch a famous person play a game". Robin Williams with Ocarina of Time 3D, Seth Green with Dragon Quest IX. Oh, and Sony also did this ad.

[yt]mdWkKKSckNk[/yt]

Advertises everything Sony. From little easter eggs here and there to showing off tons of notable franchises on the Playstation, it's one of the higher quality and more entertaining ads.

And don't even get me started on Nintendo's "trying to appeal to hardcore gamers" campaign with the 3DS. Just a couple of bros going "LET'S TALK ABOUT THE ESHOP AND WATCH 3D VIDEOS!" They really have no fucking clue who they're catering to there.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
You think the Kevin Butler commercials are actually funny? Are you kidding me?

Nintendo is great at marketing. They get to the point and directly advertise their product, without acting like assholes (In the case of Kevin Butler), or missing the whole point of the advertisement completely (Like a lot of companies do, with some stupid plot that isn't related to the product at all).

Also:

Forgot about that, huh?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Have you seen Nintendo's ads? It's either kids and families playing a game together or a bunch of bros going "LOL I BET I CAN BEAT YOU IN MARIO KART". At least Sony ads are funny and the Kevin Butler character is a nice joke. And they actually advertise it. How many Nintendo ads have just been "watch a famous person play a game". Robin Williams with Ocarina of Time 3D, Seth Green with Dragon Quest IX. Oh, and Sony also did this ad.

*snip*

Advertises everything Sony. From little easter eggs here and there to showing off tons of notable franchises on the Playstation, it's one of the higher quality and more entertaining ads.

The point is that Nintendo saturate TV with adverts which have gameplay shots and people having fun.....the end result of which is that when the average person who's not really a gamer goes out for a console it's that imprint that Nintendo have made that comes to the fore. The Sony ad is for gamers really, and it'd hardly change the mind of anyone who doesn't really recognise the characters involved. Sony need to advertise to sell, not advertise to pat themselves on the back or make gamers go "Oh Sony....you guy's!"

To reiterate i'm so far away from being a fan of the 3DS and Wii U it's not funny (the former from owning one the latter from being totally unimpressed/uninspired) but based purely on advertising skills Nintendo could sell lead as gold and have people out in droves.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    There is zero instacart delivery to here. No door dash. No Uber. Notta. Its a small farming community
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    eagerly awaiting 4x 8TB HDDs to get delivered today
    So I drive the 30 miles there, spend $100-$150 on groceries, and drive back home. Still saved $$$ after gas over shopping locally.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You'd think you could make deals with local farmers
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I could make a killing there doing instcart there :D @RedColoredStars
    It makes the trip even more worth it if I'm out of my medication and need to stop by the medical dispensary. I try to line the two up to avoid extra trips.
    +1
    @AncientBoi, Except the town is pretty MAGA infested. People still flying TRUMP 2016 flags all over. They didnt get the memo the year changed since then. lol.
    +1
    They passed a city ordinance last month. No smoking cannabis in public. Not even eating gummies. $300 fine and misdemeanor charge if caught. People can walk down the street smoking cigs and tossing the butts all over, but God forbit someone take a couple puffs of their medication.
    +1
    First off, it's recreationally legal here. Secondly, I have a prescription from my doctor and approved by the state. But still a fucking criminal.
    +1
    Like at bars. Cant sit outside even in the smoking section and take a few puffs. Yet I have to breath the cig smoke from 20 people chain smoking all night in every direction around me.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly I feel like Trump is going to crush Biden just because of the trial
    They cite
    public health and safety concerns" LMAO!!! Yet they do nothing about the poison drinking water quality.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The look at how they treated me card is powerful within dumb voters
    A Trump win is certainly a possibility. If he's reelected, 4 more years then no one has to worry about him being president ever again. I survived last time, I'll survive it if there's a next time. Don't know how anyone could vote for the guy, but I'm also not anyone else but me.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly things were cheaper with Trump but that's tounge and cheek could be exactly the same outcome if he won reelection
    All of the fake "Christians" vote for him even though he's broken like 8 of the 10 commandments... that we know of. Maybe all 10. LOL
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A president is just a public figure within America
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    South park put it will there's always a bite between a turd sandwhich or a giant douce
    +1
    I like when he says stuff like "They are preventing me from talking!!!" Wait. What? You mean the person that is literally talking right now.. is being prevented from talking? LOL! Gag order also does not apply to taking the stand. He's free to say whatever he'd like. lolol
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    holy fuck this discsussion sucks, where are my sisters
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well if it sucks stop blowing turd sandwhich
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @NinStar, convince your parents to make a sister for you
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    parents? what parents?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People who screwed each other to make you