Hacking Wii U Homebrew Situation and FAQ

Fil o_O

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just checked my version and it is beyond 5.3. In fact it is 5.3.2 E . Does this mean I'm out? I figured as much... Infinite sadness.

Fil o_O

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know, I read the post mere minutes ago. I wasn't even aware that progress was actually made concerning the Wii U. I've been browsing and reading another forum and people there always said that no one wanted to bother with Wii U because few people own it and it wouldn't be worth their while. Darn it, had I known earlier about this, I definitely wouldn't have updated. We'll see, future will tell.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, I read the post mere minutes ago. I wasn't even aware that progress was actually made concerning the Wii U. I've been browsing and reading another forum and people there always said that no one wanted to bother with Wii U because few people own it and it wouldn't be worth their while. Darn it, had I known earlier about this, I definitely wouldn't have updated. We'll see, future will tell.

Welcome to GBATemp my friend, where some of us actually care about cracking the Wii U wide open :P. Anyways, my advice to you would be to wipe out your internet settings on the Wii U itself to prevent any stealth/auto updates as Nintendo has been doing that as well (its in the latest EULA for the Wii U itself and the system software). If you're offline from this point forward, you should be okay. Just don't buy any games for a while :P. Or at least if you do, compare them to this list here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiu-list-of-system-updates-on-disc.372041/ to make sure the disc doesn't have an update on it. Where as you're already on the latest version right now, you should be good for a while, but still.

You're not going to be locked out of homebrew forever, just prevent yourself from updating any further, because the earlier system software you're on, the sooner you will have access to homebrew

Max128

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

I am currently in 5.0 .. I would like to play with smash bros which ask for 5.1.2.

Do not update past 5.2.0/5.3.0 <-- So now is safe to update to the 5.1.2? because it was fixed since 5.1.1, new exploit?

Can you update it now or not? I saw yes and no.

NWPlayer123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I am currently in 5.0 .. I would like to play with smash bros which ask for 5.1.2.

Do not update past 5.2.0/5.3.0 <-- So now is safe to update to the 5.1.2? because it was fixed since 5.1.1, new exploit?

Can you update it now or not? I saw yes and no.

Yeah, you're fine updating to 5.1.2 since the kernel exploit isn't broken in that version, you'd just be waiting longer for another browser bug to be exploited, but Smash is well worth it (from what I've seen), so feel free to update :P

mar789

Master Italian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm currently on 4.0.3, and was wondering if it was safe to update to play Smash. If my understanding is correct from the comment above. The kernal exploit is fine but there just needs to be another browser exploit. So I'm perfectly safe updating and I will be able to get homebrew, I will just have to wait a tad bit longer?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently on 4.0.3, and was wondering if it was safe to update to play Smash. If my understanding is correct from the comment above. The kernal exploit is fine but there just needs to be another browser exploit. So I'm perfectly safe updating and I will be able to get homebrew, I will just have to wait a tad bit longer?

Smash updates to 5.2.0, but whatever you do, disable/remove all the internet settings in the system menu settings.

NWPlayer123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, that's I'm saying.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Max128

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, you're fine updating to 5.1.2 since the kernel exploit isn't broken in that version, you'd just be waiting longer for another browser bug to be exploited, but Smash is well worth it (from what I've seen), so feel free to update :P

I installed the update to smash bros which is finally 5.2.0. Since the kernel exploit is not fixed in 5.2.0 is ok .. right?

By the way.. the smash bros is awesome game!!

NWPlayer123: Any news on the wiikey? or is a fake..

Max128

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
NWPlayer123: How much time to readjust the exploit for 5.2?

TeamScriptKiddies: It's not 100% reliable up this page of update , Hyrule was normally in 4.1, and it requires a system in 5..

mufc290

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi i am newbie i have put homebrew channel on & usb loader gx version 3.0 r1180 but it was my son bithday & he got 2 new games zombiu & donkey kong tropical freezer they are both asking for system update what do i do ? can someone tell me please ? as from reading the other comments i can not update

NWPlayer123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi m8 sorry but newbie to this so what i have to do is update vwii homebrew where & how ? what about my son wiiu game the system update ?

First FAQ question on the first page.
Q: How do I install the Homebrew Channel?
A: Wrong place to be looking, you're thinking of the sandboxed vWii (virtual Wii). For more info go here and here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I thought I saw a puttie snatch...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm so pumped, NCAA football video game is back after a 10 year hiatus, coming to SeriesS/X, PS5 in July.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love and own on disc still, that is not back compatible, bs.
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @BigOnYa My dad recently bought a spare Series X off of me, got game pass, and saw Madden '24 on Game Pass, decided to try it out.

...He was a bit taken aback by the 60GB download size. Poor guy's still living in the 90s!
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AdenTheThird, Bro's still in the PS2 age.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol charging your dad's classic unless he's the type that doesn't like taking things like that
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @K3Nv2 He was looking into consoles for his house anyway (for my younger siblings and himself) and I had a spare XSX and Switch I ended up selling him at pretty steep cuts. I would just give them to him, but I did buy them with the intent to sell them... and college is super expensive.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A little yeah...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, [insert wut here]
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm a little hi, but bout to fix that.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now I'm low, i was upstairs in my wifeys kitchen, now I'm downstairs in my dungeon.(My basement)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    do you mind? i snuck in with amiibo and jars, and am trying to do my thing brony style
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    have you ever regretted saying something immediately after saying it?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah what i was doing was trying to cure my ever-so-apparent crabs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    my younger brother is forcing me to play with him and my cousins are here *sigh*
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @SylverReZ that Hack a hacked 360 vid was neat, never knew it existed.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, I thought it was interesting.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm this video is clickbait
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: nvm this video is clickbait