Hacking Wii U: Hacking Tests Report

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm that casper does not work, so we will need an entirely new IOS exploit before anything can be installed.

On the other hand, if either casper or the hackmii installer get updated with a new exploit, we should be golden.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol way to go crediar. Hopefully he will work with Pune or to get Casper working or something (it's too bad Pune didn't release the non-exploit parts of the casper code).

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Backup loaders aren't illegal if you own the games in question (which I do).

Are you for real, you live in the same country as me. When did they make it legal to possess illegal copies of video games. And I'm not asking if the law is enforced, just inquiring of the legalities of such offenses. You are breaking the law by making copies of your Wii games, or any other console game.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't count on pune to bother with anything regarding the wii u anytime soon. He's got other things going on.
Damn, that's too bad. That you know of, does anybody else have the source for casper? I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard to swap out the exploit in casper (or the HBC installer) with Marcan's new exploit.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you for real, you live in the same country as me. When did they make it legal to possess illegal copies of video games. And I'm not asking if the law is enforced, just inquiring of the legalities of such offenses. You are breaking the law by making copies of your Wii games, or any other console game.

I'm not going to be the one that starts any debate (as GBA Temp has a track record of those getting out of control), but I will say this. Yes, making backups is very, very limited as to what can actually be backed up (DVDs, CDs, etc). but PC and videogames aren't covered by the law, so yes, backups are in fact illegal. However, if the discs I use get scratched and/or irreparably damaged, no one and I mean no one is going to physically coerce me into buying a new copy to replace the broken one. Not you, not Nintendo, not the people who signed the DMCA act of 1998, no one.

Am I willfully disobeying the law? Perhaps I am, but I own the games in question, I should be able to do whatever the hell I want with them as far as making backups. I don't plan on selling the ISO images either. I said my piece, and if people don't like it, then keep your ethics lessons to yourselves. If I own the games I purchased with my own money, I should be able to do whatever the f**k I want to with said games, as long as I don't distribute them over the internet or let people copy it for themselves.

But, I probably am the one who started this stupid legality debate, but guess what? I'm the one who's going to stop it and if people continue to bring up the morality behind making personal backups, I will be forced take action. Nintendo isn't going to lose money for backing up a game I already bought.

Reactions: KingMuk

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[...]
Am I willfully disobeying the law? Perhaps I am, but I own the games in question[...]

Yeah, about as much as driving 5 over the speed limit. You're likely to get in as much trouble as you would for drinking a few beers while underage/smoking a j, both in your own house, not really bringing any aspect of it to the outside world except for "yeah? I did." In other words, don't go flaunting it like a tard, and nobody is gonna know. And hell, even if you do, chances are nobody is even gonna care.

ANYWAY

The next step is figuring out if the WiiU SM deletes anything off of the vWii itself pre-boot, not just limited to the SD card, such as custom channels.

Wonder if the vWii has a vulnerable boot2 boot1 (whoopsie, thanks Joostin), or one that can be made discovered to be vulnerable (different than v4), or if it even needs (and thus lacks) one altogether.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The next step is figuring out if the WiiU SM deletes anything off of the vWii itself pre-boot, not just limited to the SD card, such as custom channels.
Wonder if the vWii has a vulnerable boot2, or one that can be made discovered to be vulnerable (different than v4), or if it even needs (and thus lacks) one altogether.

I hope Crediar figures out the common keys.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

Wonder if the vWii has a vulnerable boot2, or one that can be made discovered to be vulnerable (different than v4), or if it even needs (and thus lacks) one altogether.
There isn't a vulnerable boot2, it's boot1 that has to have the vulnerability. There is no chance they would add that back in for no reason, and it wouldn't do any good since the Wii U doesn't boot like the Wii.

I hope Crediar figures out the common keys.
There is nothing to figure out, it's the same as it was on the Wii (it has to be).

Reactions: plasma dragon007

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
We know at this point the WiiU SM deletes (usually) Wii exploits from the SD upon vwii load. What does the WiiU SM do, if anything, should the lock switch on the card be putting the sd card into read-only mode?
That would be an interesting test. It can't delete the exploit from the card, for obvious reasons, but the error thrown might result in halting the loading code to boot the vWii. Or it might just boot anyway, but I doubt it. Anyone with a Wii U could test it, though, you don't even need to own the susceptible games.

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
There are different rights in different countries. And here in germany, the user licence is void, because it is not part of the buying contract. And so it is only a statement of intention and perhaps an illegal constraint, because the user has no other choice to say "I agree", if he want to use it's own hardware.

Coconuts 500

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guys, remember that laws do not apply as long as you do not give a ****.

And not giving a **** is the only way to live life.

If you do give a ****, you need to stop giving a **** right away - for your own mental health.

Reactions: ieatpixels

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OMG can we drop off the off topic debates of laws and piracy morality.
OT: It is definitely possible that the Wii U will scan all of the titles installed on the vWii and if any of them aren't properly signed, remove them. This may actually explain part of why the Wii U takes so long to load. I actually always sort of wondered why they didn't just do this on the Wii (except that it would probably add a decent amount of time to boot). If this is the case, then installed titles like HBC or cIOS will be deleted every time the system restarts until we have a way to install software to the Wii U mode, and install something like Priiloader to the Wii U SM. Hopefully, this won't be the case.

Reactions: JoostinOnline

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

And not giving a **** is the only way to live life.

If you do give a ****, you need to stop giving a **** right away - for your own mental health.

Just give it a listen. :P

Reactions: Supercool330

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lmao, I hadn't seen that one yet. This is one of my favourites:

srsly, this is like my guide to life

OT:
anyone know if the basic emulators work? NES, SNES?
All the emulators will work just fine, but you won't be able to install them, so you will have to start them through Stack Smash (or one of the other working exploits) each time.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I believe judges usually beg to differ. Laws not applying and you not caring about laws are two completely different things. Laws still apply even if you don't care about them. Otherwise the world's prison's would be rather empty. The only person your "not caring" matters to is yourself. I am not saying the law is right, or should be obeyed at all times, what I am saying is that it IS law, and it DOES apply, regardless of your opinion regarding it.

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
For Riivoution I'm specifically curious on if a game other than Smash Bros Brawl can utilize it. Smash Bros Brawl using it would be step one, though.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Riivolution
or
http://rvlution.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25

http://rvlution.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=50 Smash Bros specific, you may find something there.

Basically, it -should- work as it does NOT require an installed application to execute anything. It also does not need a hacked console to execute anything. So unless something is fundamentally different on the Wii U's WiiMode then it will probably work. There just has not been any confirmation about this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-