Wii U: Hacking Tests Report

dimmujed Nov 20, 2012.

1. elmis tejada

elmis tejada Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2012
    United States
    tested sega genesis one and it working to wish for a backup loader to work any ideas

2. rizzod

rizzod Not a New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Riivolution? .... has anyone tried that yet?

3. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    Yes. It does not work.

4. rizzod

rizzod Not a New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    well obviously you did something wrong. I just read on the Riivolution forums it works flawlessly.

5. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    I was not speaking of my own experience, I was speaking of what I had read around. I do not have a WiiU (they're released outside the US as far as I know). Looks like megazig has confirmed it as working, guess it is indeed working then.

EDIT: Casper uses the same IOS exploit, so it should work too in theory. I am pretty sure I have read that it doesn't work though. (This is why I thought Riivolution didn't work). It must implement the exploit slightly differently or something.

Nope, what was posted at the Riivolution forums was misinformation. See below.

6. megazig

megazig SU

Oct 25, 2008
    United States
    I never confirmed Riiv was working. not sure where that rumour started

7. Skeet1983

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    I am confused about something... As I understand, Wii U will delete the Smash Stack if detected. How can I write codes and change enabled/disabled codes if the Wii U will just delete Smash Stack afterward? If I quit a Wii game, will it delete in Wii Mode, or delete when in Wii U mode?Anyone know? Thanks in advance :)

8. djricekcn

djricekcn GBAtemp Maniac

May 29, 2009
    United States
    You plug it in when SSb is on, you unplug the card before you quit out of SSb

9. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    Probably here: http://rvlution.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1251#p16636 (or if it didn't start it, that's where I saw it anyway). I see you have now posted a correction there, apologies for contributing to misinformation. Guess I was right in the first place then, it doesn't work (in the public version).

10. Supercool330

Supercool330 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2008
    United States
    I can personally confirm that neither casper or riivolution work. AFAIK the only working IOS exploit for the Wii U vWii is crediar's unreleased exploit for his key finding program.

11. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    It's been a while since I used gecko OS but if I remember correctly, you just load the game the same way for any region. Gecko OS just ignores the region.

Let us know what happens when you try.

12. HorreC

HorreC Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2012
    United States
    What about this new WIOS stub that ‎Crediar posted to WiiUBrew? Is it possible that we can only update the wii IOS's from the WiiU menu? Seeing as every other game has to update from there? I know N gave the vWii a special access mode but maybe the "game" as the wiiU sees it can only update its stubs via the wiiU menu? Also I think we are way deeper into this console then is known, ‎Crediar seems to have some kind of access to the wiiU portion of everything and is playing around in there, and I think is (if he has anything to release that would be good for everyday joes) waiting for worldwide release to be done and maybe even the first service patch to the wiiu. I am sure he is hoping to see his stuff work on every console.

13. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    I don't think crediar has the sort of access you think he does.

As for WIOS, my guess is it's something akin to boot2, it presumably loads the System Menu and it's IOS. Of course, I don't know for sure, this is just a guess.

14. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/WIOS

15. HorreC

HorreC Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2012
    United States
    So if that is the case we could (in theory) rewrite that WIOS into something that has modified IOS to allow homebrew channel and its like?

16. crono141

crono141 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    United States
    WIOS is on the vWii side. It replaces MIOS on the wiiubrew ios table.

17. uyjulian

uyjulian Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    So that means no gamecube homebrew compatibility at all.

18. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    I've seen the page already, several hours before it was mentioned here. It gives no real indication of the function of WIOS or much else for that matter. I fail to see why you quoted my post and replied with this link.

EDIT: Back to the topic of WIOS - as you see here: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Boot_process boot2 is described as a "stripped-down version of IOS", whereas WIOS is a "special version of IOS that runs when the WiiU enters Wii mode"; this would appear to allow for my above theory that WIOS is akin to boot2 (although I'm not saying it's a direct clone, or that this conclusively proves what I said)

19. crono141

crono141 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    United States
    Not necessarily. Devolution doesn't call MIOS, for example, so it shouldn't absolutely remove that possibility.

20. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    @crono141: julialy is talking about gamecube homebrew. Programs like swiss. And...erm...well, other homebrew that the gamecube can run (or a wii, provided you start it with either wiixplorer or Wiipower's wii swiss booter).

@topic: so...do I understand it correctly that the WIOS runs in addition to the called IOS'es in wii mode?
    If so...then it's probably this IOS that does that removing of the smash stack data. It just isn't thoroughly enough to check for it (if you put in the SD card after loading the game, it won't check for it or delete it).

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted