Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No offense and no hard feelings but havent you been talking about the exact same thing for the past...year now?
I mean, I could swear you were talking that you need to build a ROP chain last christmas.
Again, I dont want to offend, just wondering how come this process took so much of your time.

From summer 2014 to March this year, we devoted most of our time to the kernel exploit. There only became a need for a new browser exploit in August last year, and we were looking into viable bugs at the time, soon getting the one we use now. After we finished the kernel exploit, we began looking at WebKit again.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From summer 2014 to March this year, we devoted most of our time to the kernel exploit. There only became a need for a new browser exploit in August last year, and we were looking into viable bugs at the time, soon getting the one we use now. After we finished the kernel exploit, we began looking at WebKit again.

Oh, so the kernel exploit is done? Cool! It just needs a stable webkit exploit to launch it, then??

Reactions: Margen67

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, lots of questions

For one thing, it's really messy and still messed up on 4.1.0, so first Hykem needs to get the new Webkit exploit done so we can focus on 5.3.2, and even then timing and stuff is still really inconsistent. It's that far out because most of us have other things to do besides this.

Most likely not, he might be partway to making one, but judging how much the Webkit exploit's been worked on in the past few weeks...
He's managed to somewhat control the address we're using, but we need to get that working and then get a ROP chain built.

If its buggy on 4.1.0 then omit it.

Hykem

Trophies
XP
Country
No offense and no hard feelings but havent you been talking about the exact same thing for the past...year now?
I mean, I could swear you were talking that you need to build a ROP chain last christmas.
Again, I dont want to offend, just wondering how come this process took so much of your time.

That ROP chain was finished a long time ago by me and Marionumber1. You seem to be confusing a few things regarding the current progress so I'll try to summarize as best as possible:
- The first user mode exploit was done for 4.1.0, then ported over to 5.0.0 and 5.1.0. That was the first step taken a long time ago (wiiu-userspace);
- After that, we focused on finding a kernel exploit of our own (this was after Chadderz and Mr. Bean found one);
- When we found a viable kernel exploit we had to design ROP chains for it as well and that was what NWPlayer123 was talking months ago;
- We then took months to get the kernel exploit working and somewhat stable;
- After that, we began looking actively for new WebKit bugs to use on firmwares after 5.1.1;
- We found a potential bug that we have been trying to exploit in the past month.

As you can see, most of the time was put into a working kernel exploit and that's out biggest asset so far. It's quite obvious that we don't wish to release unfinished work to the public as it would only rise issues among users.
We need to provide a straightforward set of tools to make it as easy as possible for the end user. Otherwise, this would all be as useless as if nothing was done in the first place (considering that Nintendo would patch everything immediately and we would have to start all over again).

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question.

Since the first Wii eShop games that let you use the GamePad as a controller have come out
(see:

)
, is there any way to examine what IOS modifications they have made to get the GamePad to work while in vWii mode?

We don't even know if they are in vWii mode. We can try to use the kernel exploit to examine how they work, once it gets brought to the latest version. But if it is vWii mode, this won't help at all.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to examine what IOS modifications they have made to get the GamePad to work while in vWii mode?

No, looking at the code doesn't matter, vWii is controlled entirely by cafe2wii, and you'll need an IOSU exploit to make any modifications or even look at the code (need Starbuck Ancast Key).
I'll look into how VC handles it, but I assume it'll be mostly the same.

IbbyPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, looking at the code doesn't matter, vWii is controlled entirely by cafe2wii, and you'll need an IOSU exploit to make any modifications or even look at the code (need Starbuck Ancast Key).

Gonna ask again because theres not much to do:
Hows TCP Gecko dotPy (partially joking)
Hows Caffiine + Update partition (If you're not waiting for the rewrite any more)

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gonna ask again because theres not much to do:
Hows TCP Gecko dotPy (partially joking)
Hows Caffiine + Update partition (If you're not waiting for the rewrite any more)

I can't do much with the rewrite until I get the source for the codehandler (I only have the html files for different versions).
We haven't been looking much into patching the loader, MN1's been busy lately and we're still trying to work on USB, once that's out of the way we might look into loader stuff.

shoemaker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Gotcha, thanks. That makes sense.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
webkit will not work if I upgrade my Wii u in 5.3.2 (atm I'm in 5.1.0) ?
I'm hesitating ... DLC mario kart ... or hacking ...

5.3.2 has been confirmed safe, I'm on there myself so you'll be fine, just be sure to do it quick before Nintendo releases their new system menu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Psi has been banned in the state of California.