Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'd just like to take this moment to remind any prospective developers that IOSUhax will not affect homebrew in any way. The tools available now (wut and maybe HBL) are going to be identical (from a programming standpoint) to what they'll be when you're installing RPXs to the home menu and replacing boot code or whatever. Don't wait - have something cool in the works!

(About the only real benefit for homebrew developers that an IOSU exploit holds is being able to fiddle with the IOSU; which retail games certainly don't need to do. The kernel exploit gives us all the power of a retail game [other than USB])

Still very cool to see updates and stuff. If you're having trouble, it might be worth reaching out to the wider community: I know a few people (with hardmods/no fear) that would certainly give a helping hand.

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By saying ETA on public release, it's already developed in the hands of private?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it is still being actively worked on from what I gather. Whoever gave the first ETA fourish weeks ago I guess was not on the team working on the exploit. The team who is working on the exploit has not given an ETA. Other people, myself included, thought someone from the team gave an ETA. They did not.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'd just like to take this moment to remind any prospective developers that IOSUhax will not affect homebrew in any way. The tools available now (wut and maybe HBL) are going to be identical (from a programming standpoint) to what they'll be when you're installing RPXs to the home menu and replacing boot code or whatever. Don't wait - have something cool in the works!

(About the only real benefit for homebrew developers that an IOSU exploit holds is being able to fiddle with the IOSU; which retail games certainly don't need to do. The kernel exploit gives us all the power of a retail game [other than USB])

Still very cool to see updates and stuff. If you're having trouble, it might be worth reaching out to the wider community: I know a few people (with hardmods/no fear) that would certainly give a helping hand.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but mainly IOSU will provide two major things:
  • Internet access from the Homebrew App.
  • USB access (rw+x)
AFAIK those are the only things which are still inaccessible through kernel, and only IOSU can provide access to those.
Out of that I think the rest i salready provided by kernel

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
  • USB access (rw+x)
AFAIK those are the only things which are still inaccessible through kernel, and only IOSU can provide access to those.
We already have Internet (HBAS) but yeah, USB is the only thing. That post was trying to stop developers from thinking we need IOSU. USB isn't that big of a deal for development anyway.

proflayton123

The Temp Loaf'
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Japan
  • USB access (rw+x)

EmuNAND, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AboodXD and CJB100

KungFuzion

Trophies
XP
Country
IOSU is a big thing. Title installs, no need to run exploit every time you boot console, emunand(hopefully) & usb is defo a big advantage too....the list goes on....

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Woo I have nothing to fear. Where do I apply? XD

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, basically, wut will probably end up being the end development tool for IOSUhax and installable titles since ShinyQuagsire is the main author and also able to use emuNAND so it's definitely installable
Also, ELF/RPX has a main entrypoint so it'll just run any code starting from there, main() just happens to be what it links to, I remember some official files there's some fancy __preinit_user which lets you do setup but we don't need that lmao
https://github.com/decaf-emu/wut
Reminder that I'm not part of SALT and this is all unofficial™ speculation™

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France

lol, that's definitely going to affect homebrew. the apis probably are going to be identical for userland, but that doesn't mean it will be for everything else, like for the ppc boot code. and the ios exploit will give way more power than a retail game, afaik... and that's not the only real benefit, you are just lacking of imagination :)

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
lol, that's definitely going to affect homebrew. the apis probably are going to be identical for userland, but that doesn't mean it will be for everything else, like for the ppc boot code. and the ios exploit will give way more power than a retail game, afaik... and that's not the only real benefit, you are just lacking of imagination :)
As the one of maybe five (vgmoose reckons 10) active homebrew developers on the scene, I hope that imagination isn't something I lack :D

While access to stuff like the boot code is cool and all, what my post was getting at is that it isn't really going to affect the development of your average emulator or whatever. As for number-crunching power, the ARM (aka IOSU) isn't going to blow you away - it's clocked at 200MHz (thanks Nikki). The PPC kernel exploit gives us full control of the PowerPCs (all three of them) which are each clocked at a much more reasonable 1.2GHz. I wasn't kidding when I said we had the power of a retail game; and tbh the Wii U doesn't have much more to give.
You have to remember that the IOSU is only responsible for enforcing permissions and plays a very small part in running normal games. We've already tricked it into thinking that homebrew is a retail game, all that's left is stuff like USB and Nintendo Network for "backups" (note that this isn't internet - it's Nintendo Network specifically that's the issue. Homebrew and things can already access the internet just fine.)
That and boot-time sig patching, of course. Still excited for that one!

Last edited by QuarkTheAwesome,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
As the one of maybe five (vgmoose reckons 10) active homebrew developers on the scene, I hope that imagination isn't something I lack :D

While access to stuff like the boot code is cool and all, what my post was getting at is that it isn't really going to affect the development of your average emulator or whatever. As for number-crunching power, the ARM (aka IOSU) isn't going to blow you away - it's clocked at 200MHz (thanks Nikki). The PPC kernel exploit gives us full control of the PowerPCs (all three of them) which are each clocked at a much more reasonable 1.2GHz. I wasn't kidding when I said we had the power of a retail game; and tbh the Wii U doesn't have much more to give.
You have to remember that the IOSU is only responsible for enforcing permissions and plays a very small part in running normal games. We've already tricked it into thinking that homebrew is a retail game, all that's left is stuff like USB and Nintendo Network for "backups" (note that this isn't internet - it's Nintendo Network specifically that's the issue. Homebrew and things can already access the internet just fine.)
That and boot-time sig patching, of course. Still excited for that one!
Don't forget that sweet vWii access with the Gamepad.
If that is done then all the masses might calm a bit due to full on RA access on vWii with the Gamepad as the CCP. :P
After that we just need DS and N64 and I can live happily ever after.

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
We need internet access for "backup" games. :) Just like at the Wii.
Let me correct you, what we need is a Backup Loader just like the Wii.
Loadiine is nothing like Backup loaders on the Wii. (In terms of how Loadiine works)

If we're able to make a Wii-like backup loader, We'll easily be able to achieve online! :D

Emunand, disabling checks and installing titles, anything that was on the Wii. ;) (Except for a boot exploit)

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me correct you, what we need is a Backup Loader just like the Wii.
Loadiine is nothing like Backup loaders on the Wii. (In terms of how Loadiine works)

I'm happy with Loadiine, and it IS a backup loader, it just looks different from USBLoaderGX2, which basically copied the Wii's front end Channel scheme, and added some more customization. I'm no programmer, but I'm guessing any other dev here could take Loadiine and change the front end however they please to make it "look" more like the other Wii loaders out there.

We don't NEED a backup loader because we already have one. And honestly, the past few post's (not specifically yours) have just screamed "YOU SHOULD DO THIS TOO BEFORE RELEASE!!". Don't un-indate them with worthless crap, I'd personally rather just have an IOSU release and USB access for Loadiine.

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I didn't say that the look is different, I said that it (Loadiine) work in an entirely different way.

Loadiine replaces something (for example: Mii maker, Sm4sh, etc...) with your game, that's why online doesn't work .

Wii Backup loaders load the game in a similar way to a disc, that's why online works.

If Loadiine would change into a Wii-like Backup loader, with USB access, my life would be complete! :D

Last edited by AboodXD,

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't say that the look is different, I said that it (Loadiine) work in an entirely different way.

And respectively, the WiiU is completely different from the Wii. I saw a reddit thread yesterday about an oldschool network guru wanting to explain to his boss that e-mail is antiquated, not secure, and not used the way it was originally intended to be used (speaking in old unix terminal days, it was meant as a messaging system on that local terminal only).

Anyway, he got bombarded because obviously e-mail has changed and gone through many different iterations. My point is, things change with technology, and we just have to roll with them no matter how much we used to like the old way. Windows XP/7 is a great example of this type of thinking. Windows removed the Start menu in Windows 8 and learned people hated it and Metro completely sucked, so now it's back in Windows 10. But that's what our big tech companies have to do for us as users, take the risk to make changes we may not like. Very similar to the dev's here for homebrew, but thankfully they listen to feedback and can make changes a lot quicker than MS, Apple, or Nintendo.

Reactions: CJB100

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Freedom* *(terms and conditions apply)