Wii U GamePad - responsiveness, lag test

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by soulx, Oct 2, 2012.

Oct 2, 2012
  1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada

Latency also factors into the equation when using any wireless device, and memories of the PSP's heavily buffered Remote Play feature have us hoping for a significantly reduced delay between the higher and lower screens. Fortunately, we're pleased to find that latency here is impossible to pick out without some exacting method of measure. In testing the difference, we find results that completely subvert our expectations here; in instances where gameplay is mirrored between the two, the GamePad screen actually renders the image 116ms before the 50-inch LG screen does.

This disparity must surely have its roots in some heavy post-processing on the TV side, but it speaks volumes about the fundamental responsiveness of the GamePad screen.

http://www.eurogamer...s-on-with-wii-u

Unsurprisingly, there is pretty much no lag with the Wii U controller. Any lag would likely be the result of your television ratheR than the GamePad.

3 people like this.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Well modern TVs are known to have some stupid levels of latency... but yeah the gamepad's gotta' be more than a dumb screen if the system can sync itself like that to account for the inherent latency.

3. Sly 3 4 me

Member Sly 3 4 me GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Looks awesome, although I'll still have to test it myself, it's just one of those things for me. I'll probably test it at one of the local retailers near my house in a few weeks. Hopefully they'll have a nice demo that can utilize some intensity tests for how it will perform under load of objects or detail. Not sure if it's me or just the setting for this demonstration, but it seemed to have a bit of a glare on the gamepad at many different times.

4. 10_0ARMY

Member 10_0ARMY THE *Original* 1 Man Army

United States
    Why would there even be any lag? Nintendo has been working on the WiiU for a while now. I doubt people would be too happy if there was lag between both the tv and the gamepad. I bet Nintendo thought about this problem from the very beginning and by this vid, it looks like they successfully solved it. :D

2 people like this.
  5. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    This is using Bluetooth to achieve this, right?

6. ZenZero

Member ZenZero GBATEMP's regular arse.

United Kingdom
    had a go with one saturday, the graphics look great on the little screen

1 person likes this.
  7. frogboy

Member frogboy lacking both style and grace

United States
    "Is there jaggies?"

That made the whole video worth watching. Oh, and the fact that I had a few concerns about the Gamepad, that too.

8. gundalf

Member gundalf GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    The controls do but the screen/video goes through an own Connection.

9. soulx
    OP

Canada
    ...No.

10. lokomelo

Member lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    I'm not a TV expert, but if the gamepad is faster, is it possible to calibrate the video game and remove this lag?

11. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Yeah, why would there be any lag at all?
    And probably not. I think lag has something to do with the processor cycles IIRC.

12. nukeboy95

Member nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

United States
    um just a fyi that is not a wireless version ow the wii u gamepad

13. soulx
    OP

Canada
    I would assume that the wire isn't connected to the console but rather tied somewhere else for anti-theft purposes.

14. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Guys, modern TVs can have input lag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_lag

15. jonthedit

Member jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Bermuda
    Thats why you change the refresh rate, and with VIZIO TV's you turn on "Gaming Mode" otherwise it tries to "Optimize" the experience.

16. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    Yeah, my Samsung has a "gaming mode", too, that I use. It says that it "reduces the quality" but I don't see any difference (that might change once I finally get component cables for my Wii, though, but on the other hand, it IS a Wii. :P )

17. jonthedit

Member jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Bermuda
    I have a component cable. Make sure you buy a generic one for around $2-5. Don't bother with the NINTENDO brand one that costs $20.

18. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    I haven't actually seen any Nintendo brand ones around here. The problem is that with import taxes here, even the generic ones run a bare minimum of $10 (equivalent in local currency.) The first couple places I looked actually sold the generic ones for about $20 so shopping around was key ... but I think I've found the lowest price I can in this country.

19. Katsumi San

Member Katsumi San GBAtemp Fan

Japan
    You know I bought some generic component cables for my Wii and set the "Gaming Mode" on the samsung TV I have and I see just tiny little difference only if you "stare" at it for a while, but in reality it's not much difference. IMO the gameplay speed is still the same.

1 person likes this.
  20. McHaggis

Member McHaggis Fackin' Troller

United Kingdom
    If WHDI can transmit raw 1080p video with less than 1ms latency between devices at a range of 30 metres, it's unsurprising that the Wii U can transmit raw data for 409,920 pixels to it's own peripheral with similar results. I daresay the technology is very similar, if not the same. With the existence of WHDI, WirelessHD and other technologies that have existed for at least 5 years, the fact that the Wii U GamePad has no lag just doesn't really seem announcement worthy. At least, not to me.