Wii U future hardware hacking possibilities/questions

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by aarzee, Dec 9, 2012.

1. aarzee
    OP

Newcomer aarzee Member

United States
    Seeing as all the parts of the Wii U and GamePad have already been taken apart and identified, I was wondering if at any time in the future it would be feasible to (with the help of a modified OS):
    • Upgrade the SD slot to support SDXC
    • Upgrade the USB slots to support USB 3.0 and to supply power
    • Replace the hard drive flash memory with a higher capacity

I have no idea how any of the hardware or software hacking happens, so please be clear in explaining why/why not these might be possible in the future. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: The bit about the hard drive was an honest mistake, sorry.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    1 - Feasible. It's mostly a filesystem/software issue, so this seems possible.

2 - Not possible, USB 3.0 is not just a software thing, it's hardware too. The ports and controller on the motherboard would need replacement if they're just 2.0 now, and that's just not happening for too many reasons.

3 - The internal flash? I'm going to say not feasible (assuming it's onboard chips). Softmods to allow loading of most things from the external harddrive will be a lot more useful to people. Way more people will be able to use it without needing to solder and desolder parts and sourcing out flash chips and shit.

3. julialy

Member julialy Homebrewer

United States
    1 - Software doesn't support EXFAT

2 - Theres no pins for USB3.0

3 - There is no hard drive inside the system.

4. driverdis

Member driverdis I am Justice

United States
    1. homebrew would need to be made with support for SHXC included and that is not really a priority for homebrew developers as usb hard drives/flash drives work fine.

2. the Wii U lacks the Software, USB3 Controller, and pinouts for USB3 ports.

3. are you trolling us? a console has not had internal harddrive since the Xbox1. PS2 does not count as its a addon that requires the network adapter, and a simple google search would tell you there is no hard drive in a wii U.

5. megazig

Member megazig SU

United States
    ps3 internal harddrive?

6. julialy

United States
    its usr removeable...

7. megazig

Member megazig SU

United States
    semantics, but so is the hdd inside my PC. and it's an internal hdd as opposed to external

8. julialy

United States
    the hdd is in the xbox360 too...

9. aarzee
    OP

Newcomer aarzee Member

United States
    Thanks, these answers are quite informative and useful (compared to some others).

10. Deltaechoe

Member Deltaechoe The Dopefish

United States
    The harddrive in the PS3 is a 2.5 inch standard INTERNAL HDD, it's meant to be mounted onto something INSIDE the system. An external HDD is meant to sit outside the system. The fact that a user can remove it means nothing, users can remove anything they want

As far as the questions go, I'll agree with what's been said already. 1. possible, 2. doesn't have the proper pin outs so not possible unless you REALLY modify the system (software and hardware) 3. Similar problem to 2, you have to desolder the NAND chip already there and solder a new one on and hope to god it works