OP
Trophies
Website
compfaqz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
India
Nintendo-Wont-Force-Developers-to-Use-All-Wii-U-Controller-Functions.jpg

Though the Wii U controller boasts some interesting capabilities, Nintendo has revealed they won’t force developers to use all of its functionality.

Despite boasting some really interesting capabilities, Nintendo has revealed that they will not be requiring developers utilize all of the Wii U controller’s functionality. More specifically, Nintendo feels that, if a developer wanted to use the touch screen capabilities of the controller, that it would make sense and not seem like a tacked on gimmick.

Yes, the Wii U is capable of delivering a wide variety of gameplay experiences, but Nintendo, most likely in an effort to rededicate themselves to the hardcore, doesn’t want anything to be forced on developers this time around.

Sure, there are some very clever applications for the Wii U controller, like being able to use it as detective mode goggles in Batman: Arkham City, but there is still the potential that could discourage gamers from picking up the Wii U version of the game.

Speaking with EDGE magazine, Nintendo’s Katsuya Eguchi revealed that even Nintendo, when developing a project like The Legend of Zelda or Mario, might not use all of the Wii U controller’s functionality.[/p]

QUOTE said:
“I don’t think it’s necessary for any and all developers working on software for the Wii U to make use of all of its features, including the touchscreen. Regardless of whether it’s a Nintendo developer or a third-party developer, if it makes sense for the game to make use of the touchscreen, I hope they take advantage of that. If it doesn’t, I hope they don’t.”

Much like we anticipate, after the initial testing phase wears off, that many games won’t make great use of all of the PS Vita’s capabilities, so will third-party Wii U developers learn what is best for them.

It really does seem like since E3 2011 that Nintendo is making conscious efforts to turn over a new leaf and be more open to appealing to the hardcore gamer. By seeking out partnerships with prominently hardcore developers, and even porting some highly anticipated titles, Nintendo wants gamers to know they have learned some valuable lessons from the Wii experience.

Will we see games that completely abandon the Wii U controller and the Wii-mote in favor of the classic controller? Probably not, but at least it’s good to know Nintendo is willing to bend in certain areas.

Do you think Nintendo has improved their approach with developers to make their console more accommodating? Would you be interested in picking up a multi-platform title for the Wii U that did not use a Wii-mote or the Wii U controller?[/p]

arrow.gif
Source

Thanks to KingVamp for sharing the news.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
True enough, we don't need a repeat of touchscreen style Zelda for the Wii U.

On the other hand the Wii U controller has potential for Four Swords style gameplay.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing wrong with the Zelda ds'.
mellow.gif

Anyway seem like the console will have a lot of gameplay variety.

Numeral ways to play games on the Wii u should be fun.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This news is stupid.
It's like saying that the developers are not forced to use Nintendo DS touchscreen either, or that they don't need to use the 3DS gyroscope in all their games, or don't need to make all their game compatible with Classic Controller....

Of course they don't need to, it's just an available feature.
If it was a forced feature, how would they make a picross game with gyroscope/accelerometer/camera?

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
emigre said:
KingVamp said:
mellow.gif

i agree apart from the fact their a complete pain to play.

In what sense?

Anyway, I think this is a good move on Nintendo's part, for example Mario Kart will definitely NOT benefit from a touch screen etc.

@Cyan I can see what you're saying but it's actually a good idea. I think that with the DS 3rd party devs were far too concerned with making everything touch screen.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Zelda is an action adventure, it did not need touch screen controls. The stylus felt forced and was obstructive in seeing what was happening in the game. The lack of button controls was a significant disappointment.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wizerzak said:
emigre said:
KingVamp said:
mellow.gif

i agree apart from the fact their a complete pain to play.

In what sense?

Anyway, I think this is a good move on Nintendo's part, for example Mario Kart will definitely NOT benefit from a touch screen etc.

@Cyan I can see what you're saying but it's actually a good idea. I think that with the DS 3rd party devs were far too concerned with making everything touch screen.
Well you have menu navigation and map on screen. Tho I would be better to use the whole controller as a wheel.

I control the ds Zelda pretty well...

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:
This news is stupid.
It's like saying that the developers are not forced to use Nintendo DS touchscreen either, or that they don't need to use the 3DS gyroscope in all their games, or don't need to make all their game compatible with Classic Controller....

Of course they don't need to, it's just an available feature.
If it was a forced feature, how would they make a picross game with gyroscope/accelerometer/camera?
this pretty much sums up my immediate reaction when i read the title, felt stupid reading the OP

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only want the touch screen used for four things.

1. A map
2. inventory screen
3. short cuts for combo moves and/or items in a tales game or similar RPGs.
4. chat screen/virtual keyboard

Other than those 4 things, every game should have the basic classic and non-gimmick controls other console games have.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The touch screen will be used a lot, especially when navigating the menus/pause screen or even when creating a profile in a game.
I a virtual keyboard pops up on the touch screen, why waste time using the d-pad to scroll trough the letters ?
Any decent game should support the touch screen in some fashion.
Call of Duty, played like on the DS , but on the big screen, could be better then k/m on the PC.
But I still would love if developers would allow games to be played with multiple controllers.
The Classic Controller Pro has every button that the Wii U controller has, minus the screen.
So it would be nice to be able to use it.
And it would be great to be able to use the Wii remote and nunchuck as well, I'm so used to it by now....
So just like some current Wii games have multiple control options in the menu ( some support GC, Classic and Wii remote controllers ) I'd like for future Wii U games to support as many controller as possible.
I bet the next CoD Wii U, will support the touch screen, Wii remote/nunchuck and even CC pro.
If they don't feel like implementing at least some kind of touch control ( which would be great to switch weapons, reloads or special moves on the fly ) it's up to them.
But they would be just lazy, because with the touch screen there are a lot of wonderful possibilities.
The touch screen made the DS the n.1 handled in the world, therefore I wouldn't exactly dismiss them as gimmick, not just yet, even if it's not your cup of tea.
But the key here, is to leave the option for classic controls, this way nobody could possibly complain about a thing.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I'm surprised that many people are taking this as news. The Wii's controller had a bunch of features that some games did not use (for example, many games never really used the speakers built into the remote itself).

At least it's nice to get a little more confirmation about stuff, I guess.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:
This news is stupid.
It's like saying that the developers are not forced to use Nintendo DS touchscreen either
I thought NDS devs were required to use the touchscreen though? I'm pretty sure every game released uses it in some form or fashion.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
Cyan said:
This news is stupid.
It's like saying that the developers are not forced to use Nintendo DS touchscreen either
I thought NDS devs were required to use the touchscreen though? I'm pretty sure every game released uses it in some form or fashion.
I don't think it was required though... Was it? For example, the menus in Mario Kart are on the touch screen, but they can be navigated with the D-Pad and buttons. In gameplay, you can change the map with touch, but that's not required for gameplay... Is it?

The technicalities really get me confused.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I already played games which had no touchscreen at all.
Metroid Prime Pinball
Megaman ZX

But I guess it's not a required feature, it's just so better with it that developers are including it in all their games automatically.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Linkiboy said:
Cyan said:
This news is stupid.

I think that the meaning of the article is, that with the Wii, there was only the Wii remote/nunchuck, out of the box.
Remember , before the Wii came out in 2006, nobody knew what the Wii remote was, everybody was used to the dual analog controllers.
Now Nintendo could have launched the Wii with a CC bundled, but instead, there was ONLY the Wii remote.
The Wii menu could only be operated with the Wii remote, hence we were FORCED to use it, like it or not.
And it was a good thing too, because otherwise a lot of people wouldn't have given it a fair chance, and just kept on using a GC controller.
It was all part of a strategy to make people used to the Wii remote.
Now that everybody knows the Wii remote, and even the Move on the PS3, this kind of scheme is almost universally accepted, and Nintendo Doesn't have to push it anymore.
This time, it's up to the developers to use it ( the touch screen or Wii remote ) because if they don't want to, and just make straight ports between systems, they have absolutely freedom.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up