Not open for further replies.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would kill for a WiiU usb loader. :gun:

(yes I realize it will still be a while for anything to come of this, but it's a start)

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for taking up the work. Marionumber1. Thanks to bubba and bobby et al. Now there is big progress.
Yes, all you need to do is run a DOL in vWii mode with AHBPROT access.
Had to start from there.
In a tweet somebody told Marcan the main door to start was open with the race attack. priiloader/bootmii for protection would be good, backup and recover nand:-) Play from there.

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is pretty awesome. I think the most I have gotten out of the Wii scene was WiiMC, custom brawl stages and characters, custom mario kart stages. So awesome. Ooo and Rock Band 2 imports and custom songs. Me and my friends still play Mario Party 1, 2, 3 on Not64 till this day.

marcan_troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sigh, I help someone out on IRC (to replicate what we did 8 days after launch without help -oh, look, turns out we weren't lying and our SHA1 was real!- and which we detailed in the talk two months ago) and my name gets put next to harryoke's and bubba's.

I don't know if MarioNum1 was with those two clowns all along, or if they're just latching along for the ride, but this kind of aggrandizing scene nonsense bullshit turns me off of helping anyone else out.

If this is the way every stupid little step towards homebrew is going to be announced, I don't want to have anything to do with it. Unless the clowns positively fuck off and let the people who care work (so far Maxternal and MarioNum1 as far as I can tell), I don't want to have the slightest bit to do with this.

</rant>

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if MarioNum1 was with those two clowns all along, or if they're just latching along for the ride, but this kind of aggrandizing scene nonsense bullshit turns me off of helping anyone else out.
Helping out is the worst!

Anyway, my name is on there and this is the first I've heard about it. I think that's just the list of some of the people who have made any contributions to Wii U-related projects.

TerryHomes A picture on the gamepad isn't related to the bootrom being dumped, it's just a "flashy" way of loading the picture. The LED is also off unless the battery is dying or being charged.

harryoke Chill man.

A Plus Ric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sigh, I help someone out on IRC (to replicate what we did 8 days after launch without help -oh, look, turns out we weren't lying and our SHA1 was real!- and which we detailed in the talk two months ago) and my name gets put next to harryoke's and bubba's.

If this is the way every stupid little step towards homebrew is going to be announced, I don't want to have anything to do with it. Unless the clowns positively fuck off and let the people who care work (so far Maxternal and MarioNum1 as far as I can tell), I don't want to have the slightest bit to do with this.

</rant>

I do find it funny how most said your SHA1 was fake and made up and no proof, now they are using them for "proof" they were able to get them prob almost the same way you guys did way back then. Is what happens when people want to be "loved" and "worshiped" for "being in on it" when really they probably had nothing to do with it at all. Kinda like how it seems from their posting later that it was Mainly Maxternal and MarioNum1 who did the work (with help from you guys), but initially they just tried to "Be the ones to tell you" and that makes me sick. As I would enjoy a HomebrewU, I haven't seen one person who is getting excited really care about the Homebrew aspect of it and only care for emulators/backup loaders. That is the sad part.

That is just my opinions though. Who am I to judge.

Reactions: Taleweaver

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I wasn't with either of them, bubba just saw that I had dumped the Boot ROM on the IRC and asked me about it. Then he told harryoke, who posted this on PS3Hax and WiiUHax. Then someone on GBATemp saw the post on WiiUHax that and posted this here.

marcan_troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't with either of them, bubba just saw that I had dumped the Boot ROM on the IRC and asked me about it. Then he told harryoke, who posted this on PS3Hax and WiiUHax. Then someone on GBATemp saw the post on WiiUHax that and posted this here.

And this is why we can't have nice things. No blame to you then, but I hope you understand why the way these idiots have been running the Wii U scene sites doesn't help motivate us one bit. It's seriously pathetic. You try not to be a media whore like geohot and someone plays media whore on your behalf.

delroth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
What does the boot rom do, is it possible to replace the boot rom with something else by swapping chips or something?

It's not really useful since f0f already documented what it does and how it works at their 30c3 talk. But media whores gotta whore with what they have/steal.

Milesgboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This type of stuff reminds me of when me and my group of people worked on a format and one of them casually tells someone else about it. And makes a big deal out of it and starts claiming things. And everything goes out of control till someone goes and comes out and tries to fix the mess.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And this is why we can't have nice things. No blame to you then, but I hope you understand why the way these idiots have been running the Wii U scene sites doesn't help motivate us one bit. It's seriously pathetic. You try not to be a media whore like geohot and someone plays media whore on your behalf.

In the overall homebrew / hacking scene, how many people who actually know what they're doing want credit when someone else re-creates their work or builds upon it? Versus how many people don't want credit.

I think there's an alternate universe where a hacker doesn't get credited and then quits the scene altogether because of "credit-stealing lowlifes" or something like that.

If I were in their position, I would credit you. Well, I would assume that you should be credited and then contact you to make sure. So they are a little at fault.

People are already basically calling them script kiddies - not crediting anyone else would make people think that this new group was trying to steal old hacks.

Reactions: Coto

marcan_troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not about credit. It's about making a mountain out of a molehill. I don't mind my name being next to MarioNum1's on a brief note about some progress dumping the boot rom. What I don't want is for harryoke to take that and make a hilariously overblown, misinformed, sensationalist post (complete with bullshit picture) that is inevitably followed by two pages of nonsense from clueless users who have no idea what the significance of the boot rom is (at least until I jumped in and turned it into drama about the scene - and no, ideally this wouldn't be necessary, but I can't help but groan at every time this happens).

Nobody but other coders and homebrewers cares about the boot ROM being dumped. Stop reporting on every silly little step like it's the first human mission to Mars, and shut up until something that users actually care about happens. Until then, let people work in peace.

This, by the way, is why closed teams working in secret work better at an early stage (even though at the cost of allowing fewer external contributors). It lets people work in peace until something is ready for user consumption. If the scene didn't have a chronic media-whoring complex, this wouldn't be necessary and things would actually progress faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the...